Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Popular Alm FFA at Melton tonight

aussiebreno
    I see they have queried the driving tactics of Nathan Jack on ITMQ. I would hope it's because he was given a quiet run leading up to Cranbourne and Vic Cup rather than expecting that the horse should have made an earlier move.

triplev123
    They told the Stewards before the race they were going back, he went back, sat in and did exactly as they said they would and as Snr told him too and they still queried the drive????
    I saw an interview late last night from GP and Snr said to Wes Cameron that Nathan Jack had just followed his instructions and he admitted that he might have hamstrung him a bit because if he had ignored them and gone earlier Snr thought he probably would have won. I don't think they're too worried though as Snr made it clear their eyes are on the Cranbourne & Victoria Cups. ITMQ went HUGE. Off the track and home in 53.2 & 26.0.

Member Gelding Just Saying will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Scott Crameri
    I think the issue was that he may have waited too long to make his run in a slowly run race. They are VERY strict on odds on favourites being seen to go above and beyond the call in order to win regardless of future races. I'm pretty sure that driving instructions can't be used as an excuse in this case. Simply pull the horse out a bit earlier so the last quarter isn't a low 26.

Flashing Red
    Quote Originally Posted by A BIT DUSTY View Post
    Just goes to show you don't have to run the first half in 57 to have a good exciting and close finish. (TAKE NOTE FLASHING RED)
    Maybe you should take note a little more about what I am saying, I like true run races because I feel they are fairer overall. I like my trials to be run at trial speed to ease a horse into races and races to be run faster than trials, as it should be. Has nothing to do with entertainment.

Banned Colt A BIT DUSTY will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Denny McGrorey
    Quote Originally Posted by Flashing Red View Post
    Maybe you should take note a little more about what I am saying, I like true run races because I feel they are fairer overall. I like my trials to be run at trial speed to ease a horse into races and races to be run faster than trials, as it should be. Has nothing to do with entertainment.
    The leader running 30's quarters and leader's back horse (hasn't spent a penny) sprint lanes Him, that's real FAIR.

Flashing Red
    If the leader is good enough, the one on its back (or anything else) won't run it down 9 times out of 10 IMHO If its about tactics as you have also put it, that said leader should hand up to put the horse on its back 3 pegs. Have seen a number of horses that would otherwise lead do this as a tactical move. Sure racing isn't quite as tactical as the good old show days (they were exciting races) but IMHO genuine races (not slow or record breaking fast) are the fairest of all.

IMHO there has to be some line drawn, otherwise if you get a leader and a death seat horse that will not hand up not matter what (this is more relevant to Australian racing, I feel the NZ drivers are more gentleman-like), they could go run a half in 15 if they wanted to - this is one of many examples. Exceptionally slow races can also be dangerous, a number of horses can pull that otherwise would not, they can bring themselves or others down by clipping a wheel or falling over after choking off.... I could go on. I have nothing against slow run races, I just hate races where they WALK, and these sectional rules I feel are in place to stop WALKING. Does that make sense?

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Greg Hando will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Greg Hando
    I thought the race was like watching paint dry the mares race was a real good race to watch
    Have whoever you want on but don't ever have yourself on

Flashing Red
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Hando View Post
    I thought the race was like watching paint dry the mares race was a real good race to watch
    The mares race was excellent to watch. Yeehaa!

Banned Colt A BIT DUSTY will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Denny McGrorey
    Quote Originally Posted by Flashing Red View Post
    The mares race was excellent to watch. Yeehaa!
    Wait a minute Flashing red , didn't you say a couple of threads ago. it's not about entertainment, sounds like your having a bit each way now, yeehaa indeed .

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Hando View Post
    I thought the race was like watching paint dry
    Surely you don't mean that.

+ Reply to Thread