Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Bring back the Stand Start for pacers

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    A poster has pointed out to me that the Stand/Trot was the closest finish of the night

And what about calling some fans "older zealots"
    zealot meaning: a person who is fanatical and uncompromising in pursuit of their religious, political, or other ideals

This from one of our main media men!!!
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    Must try to dig up footage, if it exists, of Popular Alm's second Kilmore Cup win off 35 metres. I have just rediscovered a long misplaced CUB framed advertising print of the great horse in that race. It might compel those too young / ignorant to know how good it is to watch great horses a handicap over big distances in big races. You won't see King of Swing starting at $1.22 from a handicap, that's for sure. You might even get increased betting turnover!

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    A poster has pointed out to me that the Stand/Trot was the closest finish of the night

And what about calling some fans "older zealots"
    zealot meaning: a person who is fanatical and uncompromising in pursuit of their religious, political, or other ideals

This from one of our main media men!!!
    Which I think goes back to the point had 3rd and 4th horse not been handicapped as much then leader and behind leader may not have won/run2nd?

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Showgrounds View Post
    Must try to dig up footage, if it exists, of Popular Alm's second Kilmore Cup win off 35 metres. I have just rediscovered a long misplaced CUB framed advertising print of the great horse in that race. It might compel those too young / ignorant to know how good it is to watch great horses a handicap over big distances in big races. You won't see King of Swing starting at $1.22 from a handicap, that's for sure. You might even get increased betting turnover!
    Most kids watched Cartoons I watched a Popular Alm video on repeat!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNlLhMcTNpY Head to 52mins in for the Kilmore Cup victory.

With advances evening out the breed with fewer outliers like Poppy, and hopefully we are on a more level playing field in regards to chemists, the ability of a horse to give away those big starts in top grade doesn't really seem achievable to me. Whilst I only really follow Riverina and Sat night Menangle over the past couple years it would seem the rating system has done a pretty good job of evening out races in these jurisdictions & therefore I don't think a distance handicap is required. I think you will find betting turnover was crap which is a key reason they don't have them anymore.

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    I think false starts delaying races and too many horses blowing the start were the root causes of their demise in Victoria. As I said previously NZs three major stands, NZ, Auckland and Easter Cups are 3200 metre free for all's.

aussiebreno
    I think false starts delaying races and too many horses blowing the start were the root causes of their demise in Victoria. As I said previously NZs three major stands, NZ, Auckland and Easter Cups are 3200 metre free for all's.
    Sources say, when compared to CPI, NZ prizemoney has fell 13% in the past 12 years. So not a great case study.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiebreno View Post
    Most kids watched Cartoons I watched a Popular Alm video on repeat!
    These are the only cartoons Breno watched
    Attached Images
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiebreno View Post
    Sources say, when compared to CPI, NZ prizemoney has fell 13% in the past 12 years. So not a great case study.
    It's a damnside better than here mate. Unfortunately the handicapping system stinks ensuring horses are sold as soon as the phone rings.

aussiebreno
    It's a damnside better than here mate. Unfortunately the handicapping system stinks ensuring horses are sold as soon as the phone rings.
    I can't find concrete figures for HRA or HRNSW but HRV has kept up with inflation. Given NSW sold Harold Park I would say they would be ahead too. QLD has drastically improved of late. Gloucester Park prizemoney continues to be strong. Grass isn't always greener.

Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    No but it is grass. Victorian country penalty stake has been stagnant on $7,000, same as Forbury Park which just ran its last meeting. At the bottom of the world Invercargill regularly races for $10k minimum. The North Island is struggling but stakes at Cambridge are back to pre-covid $8k. Alexandra Park is living proof that being competent at running a Trotting club does not automatically make you a successful property developer. Bleeding millions through its own incompetence.

+ Reply to Thread