Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Western Australia

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Thanks Daniel, here's hoping for a big crowd at Albion Park tonight and that the rest of Australia can catch WA's enthusiasm
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Mighty Atom will become famous soon enough Mighty Atom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rod Reeves
    Occupation
    retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    Brilliant night at GP last night, very good patronage (long line to get in). Not sure if they expected such a good crowd given that they had the same number of staff on the front gate. Great atmosphere, is there anything better than being in a racing crowd when the field comes down the straight for the last time and people start cheering for the horse they backed. You just can’t get that feeling on a phone or iPad. Great to see Vultan Tin win, given his age and status. More wins are in store given the conditioned racing system I suspect. Lavra Joe was impressive, his connections must have been greatly relieved to see him bounce back after his recent AF event in trials (quite distressing to watch).

Trikki Mikki was outstanding in the Nugget. My Ultimate Ronnie had no luck from the barrier. We went out o make our own luck and settled in the One by One only to be dragged back in the last lap, and then cop a slight check on the turn. Thrilling experience all round though just to have a runner in a Group One. Our trainer achieved our goal that I set around nine months ago so I am more than proud of that and how far Lou has come.

Even though there is a lot of negativity in the culture of harness racing at the moment (and I am guilty of this at times too), I can’t help but feel that the sport is primed for a revitalisation. It remains an exciting sport on the track, a way for families to either reconnect or remain connected and most of all a celebration of this wonderful and unique breed of horse that we are all richer for being around.
    Hi Daniel,
    I agree to a point but It's unfortunate that the Golden Nugget, despite being around for so long and having champion horses win the stake money, is still only worth 250 grand. On the other hand, the Phoenix greyhound race at The Meadows was worth over a million dollars, making it no surprise that harness racing is considered a poor relation. It seems like million-dollar dog races are becoming a regular occurrence. While Tricky Mikki won, I also think Wonderful To Fly proved herself as the best four-year-old.

I also share your sentiments about the culture of harness racing at the moment. The number of races and the average performers can make it difficult to enjoy the sport, and the good quality horses tend to be overshadowed by the mediocrity of the lesser ones. Back in the day, the trots were a spectacular night out with enormous crowds, but it seems like the experience has changed.

Regarding the track at GP, it does seem slow for this time of the year, except for some of the open horses the rest seem to be stuck in the 1:57.8 to 1:58.3 mile rates, and it's almost possible to guess the time just by watching the race go like the clappers for the first 400 and then drop anchor. It all makes for boring and predictable racing. More than a few of the times are similar to what they're clocking at Globe Derby.

Senior Member Colt Jasper will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Daniel Walsh
    Occupation
    Social worker
    Sorry to correct you but the Golden Nugget was worth 200k! The Greyhounds taking over the Trots is a big change that I have noticed since coming back to the sport so I agree with you in that regard.

I believe that we can get back to the old days of decent crowds (and I may be the only one) if the experience of participation can be sold to the public ie both through ownership and attendance. In the last 12 months I have been to more than 20 meetings to watch both my horse and the horses of other family members. On Friday alone around 15-20 family members came along to Gloucester Park. There was a line at the front gates which was the first time I had seen that in years. The other positive was the relatively short times between races, despite the late start. The Pony Trots was a real winner too.

I am not sure how to articulate this but I am sure that if the public had a spot where they could actually get closer to a horse or pony then that would add to the experience of attendance at the trots ie where they could feed them smoochies, carrots etc. Our breed seems to be perfect for that sort of interaction.

Agree with you re Wonderful To Fly. The trainer has to be commended for the way he has managed her over here racing career. Be good to see her in the next Pacing Cup (can’t get enthused about slot race re equity issue).

Had a serious look at Busselton re my horse but I don't think he would get a start. It looks like being an excellent season down there though so I hope it goes well. (These “community” meetings have been another positive thing that I have noticed since getting back into the trots).

Real Name
    Daniel Walsh
    Occupation
    Social worker
    This Friday at GP we have something like 63 starters. The same meeting last year had something like 93 starters. You have to wonder what is going on.

Is it time for RWWA to make some sort of statement in order to restore some sort of confidence in the future of harness racing in WA? If not, what does it take for this to happen?

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Imagine if you were Vic and had prizemoney reductions and your leading stable under a disqualification cloud
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Daniel Walsh
    Occupation
    Social worker
    I see your point but at least you have a decent number of starters re Shepparton (is that the equivalent to a metro meeting?).

Kalgoorlie’s last meeting, prior to it closing in 2017, had 49 starters. GP Friday with excellent money on offer and no travel factor has 63, as previously mentioned.

It will be interesting to see how the yearling sales go this year in both jurisdictions. I can only hope this Friday is an aberration but it seems like it has been coming for a while.

If Emma Stewart does end up on the sidelines I wonder if she is the first leading trainer to be disqualified? I can’t recall any in WA. The outcome of the Stewart appeal will be interesting re unusual charges/precedent (I think).

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    When Shayne Cramp was charged and stood down in the middle of the 2014-15 season, he was the reigning premier for the 2013-14 season in Vic
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Daniel Walsh
    Occupation
    Social worker
    Oh.

Real Name
    Daniel Walsh
    Occupation
    Social worker
    Interesting times coming up in WA with Divided Stakes races being programmed for GP. It seems to me that all horses over Level 7 can be nominated and fields will be made up from this group (the races for younger horses are still programmed). It is unclear exactly how the fields will be determined and the drop back option may have been eliminated (?).

It happens already to a certain extent when races are split but this is usually within the class of the race. It kind of takes away the idea of placing a horse and you have to wonder if such races will be over one particular distance. The Level 7 preference clause for 7/9 races is not present for these races also, which isn’t a bad thing.

No announcement has been made, regarding this change, but you would have to think one is coming soon. (Please note I am no gun re programming but this is how it seems to me).

Senior Member Horse Of The Year trish will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    patricia ilsley
    10 HES NEVER BEEN BETA NZ Fr7 7 Gary Hall Snr Gary Hall Jnr 79.40 $ 1.95 fav 3W W1 GG5 QP VXAR NAR

QP.......Really????

+ Reply to Thread