Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Something free for everyone to use!

Senior Member 4YO eliteblood has a spectacular aura about eliteblood's Avatar
    Real Name
    Trevor Swan
    Horses
    Sabilize, Sushi Sushi, Golden Goddess,
    Denny,

For what it is worth, IMO your mare is wide open to Artsplace, Matt's Scooter or Western Hanover bloodlines.
    You probably can't get in to Art Major or Mach Three, in which case I would be looking at American Ideal or Sportswriter.
    If they are outside your price range give some thought to Always A Virgin, a strongly built and very well performed son of Western Ideal.

triplev123
    G'day Denny,

My shortlist would be American Ideal, Artistic Fella, Art Major & Sutter Hanover.
    The reason I chose those 4 is simply that it has been my experience to date that they will each leave quite substantial foals...of a good size with good length of barrel and leg & overall good bone/muscle to them & seeing as your mare's on the smaller & fine boned side... that sort of sire should really help her do her best.
    An example of going back the other direction is a mare we have, a thumping big Shark Gesture filly who's a bit on the raw boned side like her old man and much of the stock of her grand father in general, also has a touch of the Roman Nose for which her grandsire was so noted...and she has been bred to Shadow Play because of his overall refinement. That's one mating that I am really keen to see the result of.
    I also like Sportswriter a lot but I haven't seen any of his foals so how he leaves them (size wise etc) I cannot say, although I can't recall many sons of Artsplace that left small, fine built offspring. I think Artiscape was the only one.
    I don't get hung up on bloodlines all that much, on this cross or that cross etc etc etc.
    I might get howled down by some but IMO it's far better to focus squarely on Form & Function & basically don't breed mice to mice nor elephants to elephants.
    You don't always get an average of the sire and the dam of course, sometimes things come from out of the blue, but generally what I try to do is mentally overlay the size and build of the sire over that of the dam if that makes sense, kind of like lining up a couple of old photo negatives on a light desk, one atop the other.
    Last edited by triplev123; 12-06-2011 at 07:29 PM. Reason: spelling

Banned Colt A BIT DUSTY will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Denny McGrorey
    Thank's Greg, Trevor, and Jamie for taking the time to help ,you won't believe this but I have just got home from having the mare scanned and she has a nice folical so before I left the Vet's I rang up and ordered semen for ALWAY'S A VIRGIN , mostly because of the reasons you have mentioned Jamie ,him being a big strong type,and going on his first foals he looks like he is passing that size on. .I also like the Western Ideal sires .Would have loved to have gone to American Ideal ,but as Iv'e sent one of my other mares to him it came down to affordability.

Jamie you are right about sending mice to mice ,I have another mare who is small her 1st 3 foals all to big sires resulted 16 hand horses but when I sent her to Elsu I got a pony.

Trevor I hope your pick is a good omen .

Greg Once again thank you for your input , I will certainly look at those sires for next season

Thanks Guy's Denny
    Last edited by A BIT DUSTY; 12-07-2011 at 12:20 AM. Reason: spelling

+ Reply to Thread