Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Value Stallion

nat
    Also throw in DAWN OFA NEW DAY watch his races and look at Royal Verdict and Beach Melody

Super Moderator Stallion mango will become famous soon enough mango's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dallas Harvey
    Occupation
    Shift Operator
    Horses
    G R We There Yet, Crowea
    Armbro Operative: i think the plus for him is that he can throw both fillies and colts.

nat
    There is so many good stallions around the only factors is the stallion best suited for your mare and is this a commercial or non commercial decision.

Banned 4YO justdoit will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    (BANNED) (BANNED)
    Occupation
    (BANNED)
    Hi Nat,
    To me the cost is the same to grow all of my horses be them good or very good on paper or crap and for sale.
    Breeding to race or breeding to sell, If you don`t breed for success your broodmare is finished. It is that simple.
    The dollar makes the end decision.IMO
    I do not understand people that say they are breeding a cheap one to keep, lets say Fully Loaded $1500.
    All other cost are the same. what are they saving? help me Nat.
    Fully Loaded would have had a much better chance of making it if he did not stand his first year at the same time as
    Astreos did.

Hi Mango, Armbro Operative fillies, I would not want to breed a colt.
    Last edited by justdoit; 01-10-2011 at 10:51 AM. Reason: I was rude

Flashing Red
    Quote Originally Posted by nat View Post
    Also throw in DAWN OFA NEW DAY watch his races and look at Royal Verdict and Beach Melody
    This is not in any way, shape or form knocking a stallion. It is merely about value stallions and then lookin at number and ratios.

Dawn ofa New Day (in Australia) last season had 60 2yos, 41 were named, only 16 got to the races and 6 of those were winners.

Out of those 6 winners, one was Royal Verdict (437k @ 2yo/year) and Beach Melody (42k, stakes placed) were the only ones of any note, with Harrys Day Out (11k, 7 starts 3 wins) showing some promise.

Perhaps more will come to the fore as 3yos, that may very well be the case. But, strictly speaking for value, I would have liked to see more runners and winners IMHO. Obviously it is very early in his siring career and may not be a true reflection of what is to come. But nevertheless they are cold, hard, statistics.

nat
    Hi justdoit your right the bank decides most of the time
    lets look at like this
    Art Major the stallion of the moment producing the winners
    Village Jasper Australia's top stallion

Who has the most yearlings in the Black Lable sale one is highly commercial and commands top dollar at the sales and the other highly thought of as a stallion as he gets the winners if I was to be sale orrientated I would'nt breed to a stallion that wont command top dollar at the sales as you said it cost the same to raise them. I went to the Lombo sale the Tailamaid lombo colt by Lombo Pocket Watch although a very nice looking colt he bought just over $40,000 if this was a Art Major, Betters Delight the price would had went through the roof

triplev123
    G'day Troops,

In virtually all instances... save of course the rare superstar sire... you have to consider the opportunities that were afforded each sire by way of mare numbers and mare quality.
    In that respect everyone's going to have their own views on what constitutes a good, bad or indifferent shot at the big leagues...however it is obviously reasonable to suggest that a horse like Dawn Ofa New Day got both significantly fewer and generally lesser quality mares than did the likes of Art Major. For Dawn Ofa New Day to then produce an Oz 2yo colt of the Year was really quite significant while had Art Major done so it would still have been an achievement but it would also have been somewhat expected of him.
    Going back to the opening question of this thread... the best value sire under 5k in Australia at the present time, IMO, is Artistic Fella. I've only relatively recently come to this conclusion by way of seeing some of his first foals. If he doesn't make the grade as a sire here in Oz I'll eat my old Lawn Mowing Shoes.

nat
    Hi Flashing Red

I wouldn't say DAWN OFA NEW DAY was highly patronized and even then seems to have a 50/50 ratio of foals to mares served (135 foals on the ground after 4 years of foaling) if this is what he is capable of off limited horses on the track 16 you say Royal Verdict an outstanding 2yld won everything then I just think at his price he would be worth some consideration.

nat
    The hardest thing now is that there are so many well credentialed stallions available back in the eighties and nineties a horse like Art Major would had been number one and daylight second that's why opinions are so varied as there are so many different top blood line's combos available to the common breeder and at good prices and it is a virtual supermarket when picking a stallion now

Member Filly peacheymagic will become famous soon enough peacheymagic's Avatar
    Real Name
    Unknown
    If we are talking about best value stallion we have to choose a stallion who is proven as first year sires cannot be regarded as best value as they have not produced any progeny. I would go for Falcon seelster a sire who can produce colts or fillies and is a proven broodmare sire, he is a stallion which has an all round game.

+ Reply to Thread