Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Queensland racing

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Jason Grimson quinellas the Redcliffe Cup. PP hates him and has written a very exaggerated account of the race - nothing to see here. Loyalist is a ¾ bro to near millionaire Arden Rooney

A good 2nd by Aardie's Flash in the Derby, hey Trev - what has become of sister Aardie's Express over in NZ?

https://www.harness.org.au/racing/fi...s/?mc=RE240623
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I can't say I look at Queensland other than their big meetings (too many hobbies) but I just/finally realized that they race for over $9k on Tuesdays too.
    Victoria has the most meetings but QLD and NSW certainly have their pros
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    PP makes what appears to be a valid point that GUS should not be in the $150k Gp1 Great Square on Saturday night
    Look at the clip below - you will see NQ (not qualified) after his name for the mobile trial he had before his last start Stand win

https://www.harness.org.au/racing/fi...23#APM08072308
    Attached Images
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    The future of the Albion Park Harness Racing Club is uncertain as the Queensland Government paves the way for the Brisbane Olympics.

The Queensland Government has decided to close Albion Park in early 2025, leaving harness racing without a home for 18 months.

Brad Steele, Chairman of Albion Park Harness Racing Club, told Peter Gleeson on Drive, “I think we will see a complete collapse of the harness racing economic ecosystem within Queensland…”

“…To be quite honest I couldn’t see our industry surviving if we just had Redcliffe and Marburg…many of the owners of the better horses and the trotters will send their horses interstate, once they go interstate they don’t come back, it’s lost income,” Mr. Steele continued.

https://www.4bc.com.au/future-of-que...ing-in-danger/
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    They have all stood around and watched this happen. While there are plans for a new racing and training complex at Norwell (51 km south of Brisabane) that is all they are at this stage - plans.

They are a do-nothing lot in Queensland. The 2009 Inter-Dominion series was transferred from Albion Park to the Parklands (Gold Coast) due to serious structural flaws in AP's main grandstand being discovered and it subsequently being demolished. 14 years on and there is a "temporary judges' box and commentator's booth atop a scaffold opposite the finish line and the demolished stand has never been replaced.

Parklands was demolished 10 years ago for the development of the Commonwealth Games Village. A top 1000 metre track, it was never replaced and the trots on the Gold Coast ceased to exist. In the meantime, APHRC did some sweetheart deal transferring its ownership of Albion Park (for an amount I assume to be well under the market valuation). From that point forward, the Queensland Government and the City of Brisbane have wanted to shut down the track and sporting facilities for the 2032 Olympic Games on the site.

What is left of harness racing in Queensland? All North Queensland racing (Townsville, Cairns, Charters Towers, Mackay, Innisfail) closed years ago, as did the suburban track at Rocklea and another Gold Coast track at Tweed Heads. That leave the triangular track at Redcliffe - unchanged in layout since I first went there in 1978 - and rural Marburg (56 km west of Brisbane) as the remaining tracks. Marburg is devoid of most public facilities and the track is more akin to Victorian trialling clubs. For example, Kyabram would kill it for facilities. Marburg race predominately for $4,000 stakes.

Brad Steele's comments may well become reality. if so, who to blame? Have you got a mirror, Brad Steele?

+ Reply to Thread