+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: New Zealand Racing

Senior Member Colt Jasper will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Daniel Walsh
    Occupation
    Social worker
    I watch abit but haven’t really noticed the walk up so much ie as much as yesterday. Earlier this year it was quite wet, at Cambridge (I think), and the mobile couldn’t get traction so they had a run up start (is what I will call it). The start wasn’t too bad either as the drivers seemed to do the right thing.

Most seemed to get away ok in the big race yesterday , which was positive.

(NZ workouts and trials are interesting to watch too ie watching horses progress)

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    No notifiable gear changes either
    If there was I'd didn't involve anything with straps or buckles.

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    Back to winter in Christchurch for Show Day, and a couple of big upsets.

The 2yo Fillies Sires final was won by Our Shangri Lana, who led all the way for Cameron Hart. She held on to win by a neck from the rapidly closing Madrid, who put in an incredible run six wide around the turn to mow down all but one.

In the Dominion Trot ($300,000 stake) Muscle Mountain was sensationally pulled out of the race at the bell after suffering atrial fibrillation. Bolt For Brilliance led, but was slightly disappointing while Oscar Bonavena, who sat in the 1/1 after a mid-race move, blew them all into the weeds in the straight for a career-best win.

The to the NZ FFA, the richest mobile FFA in NZ (The Race by Grins is not a FFA). Swayzee was scratched yesterday morning, said to prepare for the ID in Brisbane. You have to wonder why the accepted if that was the only reason. His Kentuckian Lodge stablemate Republican Party was also scractched yesterday, as was Pembrook Playboy. Akuta drew the pole and led while last year's winner Self Assured drew 9 but started from 6 with the scratchings. No matter, Herlihy dragged the old horse back to last. At the winning post with a lap to go, Akuta broke for a couple of strides, said to be caused by a loose hopple shortener cord tangling around a hopple loop. He settle and attempted to lead all the way having seen off the brave mare Aardies Express only for Self Assured to unleash a repeat effort of last year's race in coming from last at the 600 metres to win running away. he only had to round up 7 runners this year unlike the 12 last year and looked as fresh as a daisy in winning.

All the races were great to watch, log onto the HRNZ website to watch www.hrnz.co.nz

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Our Shangri Lana - from a ½ sis to RNRDoo. I know Brendan will be interested
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Self Assured destroyed Akuta in the home straight - 5 lengths faster
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    Self Assured destroyed Akuta in the home straight - 5 lengths faster
    The word from the driver was the horse was absolutely bolting around the turn. I'd love to see him back over here but I doubt whether that will happen.

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Showgrounds View Post
    The word from the driver was the horse was absolutely bolting around the turn. I'd love to see him back over here but I doubt whether that will happen.
    "Self Assured destroyed Akuta in the home straight - 5 lengths faster"

Kev and Trev, I am no huge fan of Akuta, but to be fair, SA didn't spend a single penny until the last 400 and he didn't have a gut buster a few days earlier. SA has speed to burn for sure which he displayed in the run home, taking lengths of the leaders in 27.7 but if he couldn't do that after the effortless run he had enjoyed they would be entitled to be disappointed.

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post

Kev and Trev, I am no huge fan of Akuta, but to be fair, SA didn't spend a single penny until the last 400 and he didn't have a gut buster a few days earlier. SA has speed to burn for sure which he displayed in the run home, taking lengths of the leaders in 27.7 but if he couldn't do that after the effortless run he had enjoyed they would be entitled to be disappointed.
    Hey Danno, good to see you back posting after Act Now put in a shocker

Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post

Yeah, it was only the NZ FFA so li guess you would be disappointed if you didn't win! 26.54 final 400 coming from.last was a fair effort for a soon to be 8yo. And back to back last to first wins just don't happen in a race only the elite horses win. Check the race history if you don't believe me. And, Captain Obvious, it was well publicised the horse was withdrawn from the Cup to focus on the FFA. Just another special win by a special horse.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Merlin gets it all his own way in the Derby
    2yo Filly Dutchess Megxit looks a star in the making, in which case you would be pretty hopeful if you owned 4th placed Treacherous Love
    Poor Nathan Dawson will have nightmares about that steer on Not As Promised, for many a long day

https://infohorse.hrnz.co.nz/datahrs...s/121032rs.htm
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

+ Reply to Thread