Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Bendigo to host Vic Cup, Derby, Oaks !

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Star mare Amazing Dream is looking to re-write the record books and become the first mare to win the Victoria Cup.

http://www.harness.org.au/media-room...?news_id=49916
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    It is going to be very interesting to see Majestic Cruiser in the Vic Cup
    Champion trainer Geoff Webster had him all the way until the middle of his 6yo season and although he was thereabouts in plenty of Gp2 and Gp3 Country Cups etc you would not have thought he was a Vic Cup horse
    He is still only 6yo mind you and plenty of horses have their best seasons at 7 or 8
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    Majestic Cruiser. Hmm. It has won 5 of its 6 starts at Menangle for Jason Grimson, the first of which was only 21 days after running 7th at Melton for Geoff Webster. I rate Geoff Webster highly as a trainer based primarily on the absence of his name in steward reports over the decades. He had trained the horse for its entire career of 88 starts before moving to Grimson. It had only won 2 of its previous 35 starts prior to this.

Despite being a consistent performer over it career Geoff Webster must be scratching his head a little! I note in its Menangle starts it has only had one pre-race blood test, which I find strange given its previous form.

I note your tyre-pumping observation, Kev, that some horses have their best seasons as 7 or 8 year olds. But that "some", as you correctly suggest, is rare at Grand Circuit level. Take out King of Swing and Amazing Dream and it is a very poor field for a Victoria Cup. Given those two are likely to Quinella the race Majestic Cruiser could pick up a more than handy 30 grand for third. Unless it misses that terrific Menangle water, which must run a close second to Lourdes for its restorative powers.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    True Trev, I never considered whether the best at 7yo or 8yo that I was thinking of were Grand Circuit class
    I too thought the Cup looks very weak but for some reason could not bring myself to say it (not sure why?)
    I suppose we thought Wolf Stride was on a better trajectory before his recent performances at his new stable
    Speaking of 8yo's, it was probably hoped that General Dodge had come back a General this time, not a Corporal
    Triple Eight may be emerging and he has won a Gp1 at Bendigo albeit against the also rans fronting up again here
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    How General Dodge was made favourite in the Kilmore Cup is beyond me as he has never raced beyond 2240 metres. He certainly hit an invisible brick wall at Kilmore after having been sucked along behind the leader in slow time before Amazing Dream said go. Nothing amiss, apparently, and this distance suits him. His barrier draw? Pass.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    The Victoria Cup may not be the greatest field we have seen but the Derby is an absolute cracker and the Oaks is not far behind it

http://www.harness.org.au/racing/fie...s/?mc=BN091021
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    In the lead up to R1 the team were talking about getting some converts as today's gallops followers may carry over to tonight's racing
    The favourite gallops and Kate Gath not at her best on the 2nd favourite who gets beaten by a nose - not what wins converts
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    If Lance is going to keep using Kerryn as a driver he might invest in a set of smaller silks

LOL and Kerryn just added that she wants a new cart
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Fancy name posters for all the runners stalls tonight - maybe Bendigo were hoping for a crowd?
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Adaptor will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Noel Ridge
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    Fancy name posters for all the runners stalls tonight - maybe Bendigo were hoping for a crowd?
    No Kev...that's what usually happens with the big races at Melton. There's quite a bit been done to customize the track for the production tonight, knowing that there won't be any on-course patrons.

Great coverage and insights so far...no down time, lots going on . The drone visions is well done.

The hour show from 4:30 was really good...the vision and sound of David Aitken was very insightful.

Enjoy the night, and top marks to HRV for the entertainment !

+ Reply to Thread