Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Bendigo to host Vic Cup, Derby, Oaks !

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago

Bendigo to host Vic Cup, Derby, Oaks !

Due to the Covid curfew, the shuffle up has seen Bendigo become the big winner on Oct 9

https://www.thetrots.com.au/news/art...oria-update17/
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    The draws for all of the Bendigo big races (on Sat Oct 9)
    will be televised on TrotsVision at 7pm this Monday

https://www.thetrots.com.au/news/art...-victoria-cup/
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I would love it if there was even more incentive for Oaks and Derby heat participants to win. Like some races in the US where the heat winners get to chose their barrier for the final
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    I would love it if there was even more incentive for Oaks and Derby heat participants to win. Like some races in the US where the heat winners get to chose their barrier for the final
    How good would the the final be if Ladies in Red wins the heat, picks gate 1 for final while Tough Tilly doesnt get a clear run tonight and at the whim of RBD draws crap.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    It was the draw that decided Tough Tilly's big win over Ladies In Red last year - how was that fair

The best should be given every chance to win the classics or else they may as well be handicaps not classics

My idea is to make the heats more meaningful.
    The best are capable of winning heats regardless of their draw - them wanting to win or save is another matter
    I would like to give them incentive to win
    With your random draws for the final mediocrity can be given an advantage - like I said, I am talking about the best winning the classics - Derby, Oaks (not handicaps)
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    It was the draw that decided Tough Tilly's big win over Ladies In Red last year - how was that fair

The best should be given every chance to win the classics or else they may as well be handicaps not classics

My idea is to make the heats more meaningful.
    The best are capable of winning heats regardless of their draw - them wanting to win or save is another matter
    I would like to give them incentive to win
    With your random draws for the final mediocrity can be given an advantage - like I said, I am talking about the best winning the classics - Derby, Oaks (not handicaps)
    If they're the best generally they will find a way.

Why decide the final based on luck of draw/strength of opposition in the heat. You would also have situations where one horse gets an easier heat whereas 2 or 3 top seeds might need to face each other in a heat. Not fair to penalise them.

aussiebreno
    Eg Major Moth gets to draw 3 tonight, dictate run and win 1.56. So he gets pick of draw. Assume Bondi Lockdown and American Dealer then have a ding dong battle but from their bad draws run 1.57. One might win but given slower time how do they get to choose barrier ahead of Major Moth? Then the horse who ran 2nd draws crap. Not fair. So Major Moth starts fave in final by virtue of getting an easier heat and better draw in the heat.
    Last edited by aussiebreno; 10-02-2021 at 06:11 PM.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiebreno View Post
    Eg Major Moth gets to draw 3 tonight, dictate run and win 1.56. So he gets pick of draw. Assume Bondi Lockdown and American Dealer then have a ding dong battle but from their bad draws run 1.57. One might win but given slower time how do they get to choose barrier ahead of Major Moth? Then the horse who ran 2nd draws crap. Not fair. So Major Moth starts fave in final by virtue of getting an easier heat and better draw in the heat.
    But that can happen in a final eg TT v LIR in the Vicbred Final - the only time LIR has been beaten when TT gets 2 and LIR gets 8. Every chance that we should be spruiking Ladies as an undefeated champion. We don't want to be like pro Athletics where champions are crucified

However, my reason for my opening post about this is that right now the heats are barely betting propositions as horses do not need to win and possibly want to win enough.
    Another solution would be to make the heats worth more
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiebreno View Post
    If they're the best generally they will find a way.

Why decide the final based on luck of draw/strength of opposition in the heat. You would also have situations where one horse gets an easier heat whereas 2 or 3 top seeds might need to face each other in a heat. Not fair to penalise them.
    Maybe we could have seedings and spread them across the heats
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

+ Reply to Thread