Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Horse Welfare

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago

Horse Welfare

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/raci...27-p59cow.html

The Age has the above article about a report commissioned by Thoroughbred Breeders Australia which calls for a new national body which they propose should be Thoroughbred Welfare Australia
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    PP's take on the Premier's Cup at Eagle Farm yesterday
    Attached Images
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I have never been anti Jumps racing, I have had concerns, one of them being the ridiculous distances they are often expected to race over - as tired horses make mistakes. Overall the modifications and strict scrutiny have made jumps racing acceptable
    BUT watching the R1 maiden hurdle at Hamilton today, I was ashamed of the family name (not that I imagine he is a relative)

Watch the replay if one becomes available and see how buggered the fifth horse is after crashing the second last jump
    What was Richard O'Donoghue thinking when instead of pulling it up, he produced the whip to get it to tackle the last - we don't quite see in the video, the results of his action but if like me you were certain this horse could not get over another hurdle then your fears were justified

I hope both rider and horse are OK (caller suggested as much) but I cannot help but think Richard deserved a bit of pain, from now on he is known as Dick Oh!
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    https://www.racing.com/form/2022-05-31/hamilton/race/1

I just watched the Stewards vision, I greatly fear that Dick Oh! is guilty of the manslaughter of Zoffany Rocket

#$%^@! Idiot - I am furious

(I hope I am wrong)
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Zoffany Rocket Jumped the 3rd obstacle awkwardly. Jumped the 9th obstacle awkwardly and blundered. Made a faulty jump at the last obstacle and fell. When questioned regarding his riding in the home straight, rider Richard O'Donoghue explained that despite jumping the 9th obstacle awkwardly, he felt his mount was still travelling well enough, in contention and he was satisfied that the horse was in a position to negotiate the last obstacle safely. He conceded in hindsight he would have been better placed retiring his mount before the final obstacle. His comments were noted. Richard O'Donoghue was examined by the RV Medical Staff and deemed fit to fulfil his remaining engagements. A post‑race veterinary examination failed to reveal any abnormalities. A veterinary clearance will be required prior to racing again. The incident will be referred to the Jumps Review Panel.

https://www.racing.com/form/2022-05-...tewards-report

No mention of whether the horse survived but I guess they would have mentioned if a horse had been euthanized. The following also from the Stewards Report sound hopeful

ps If you are ever wondering how to find Vic gallops Stewards Reports it is as tricky at HRV (HRA is the best way). You have to go to racingvictoria.com.au, Click on Integrity, Click on Stewards, Click on Stewards Reports
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Messenger; 05-31-2022 at 10:32 PM. Reason: ps
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year KTQ will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Katie Howlett
    Horses
    Jack Mac, Sugar Street
    I cant stand hurdles. Too many break their legs

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I cannot see the MASSIVE thoroughbred industry in this country being under threat but the latest harnessracingupdate from the USA makes interesting reading

"We want to think the thoroughbred racing issues are not our business. The neighbors on the other side of the fence are in a jam and going through some rocky days. If the folks on the other end of my text messages are any indication, this difference does not play well with the average population. If these thoroughbred horse deaths are the prod for action on any level, the specific type of racehorse will not matter. The public will see three words: horses, racing and death."

https://harnessracingupdate.com/2023...mped-together/

Until I read the entire article and did a little research, I had no idea that there is only 2 active greyhound tracks in the whole of the USA nowadays
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

+ Reply to Thread