Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Australian Harness Wagering- Follow NSW's lead

Member Filly peacheymagic will become famous soon enough peacheymagic's Avatar
    Real Name
    Unknown

Australian Harness Wagering- Follow NSW's lead

I would just like to applaud NSW's recent change to make all friday night races at Menangle fixed price betting. I believe Harness Racing Australia needs to do this for as many major meetings at possible eg. Melton, Albion and Gloucester park on friday and saturday nights to compete with the thoroughbred code who have fixed odds betting on all races at major meetings ie. Saturday afternoons.

I say this because due to the large number of races in Australia most of the betting on harness racing say 80% of the pool occurs in the last 5minutes before the race closes, which means the dividends fluctuate a great deal. This can lead to a horse paying $6 5mins before the race closing at $2.50 which is very frustrating for large punters after being burnt a couple of times with changing dividends many will just give up punting harness racing. However fixed odds betting allows punters to know what price they will get straight away and takes the guesswork out of predicting what runners the money will come for.

Having grown up on NZ harness racing this was not such a big issue as there were generally a maximum of two harness meetings on a fri night and a doggies meeting meaning most money is invested prior to the final 5 minutes and pools were a lot larger so dividends wouldn't change as much. Although I live in Brisbane I am now spending most of my investment on Menangle on a friday as fixed odds gives me the peace of mind to know what price I am getting when I place my bet. I know Melton have fixed odds on a friday as well but these only open 20mins before each race.

I would be interested to hear what oher peoples thoughts are on this are you happy with the current system or would more fixed odds betting entice you to spend more of your weekly wagering on harness or come back to harness racing?

Super Moderator Stallion mango will become famous soon enough mango's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dallas Harvey
    Occupation
    Shift Operator
    Horses
    G R We There Yet, Crowea
    I would bet more on fixed odds, i hate it when you see a horse paying say $8 10mins from race time only to be crunched in to $2.80. If fixed odds were more available i'd i would lay my bets and walk away with piece of mind knowing what i get if that horse gets up.

Real Name
    Unknown
    Exactly Mango I think a lot of punters are in the same frustrating situation as you and me and have had this happen to them and now do most of their betting on fixed odds gallops or sports. So why can't there be more fixed odds harness betting, surely it isn't that hard for someone to set a few markets. I really believe it would bring a lot more interest into harness racing in australia, I know in New Zealand it has really taken off and would allows big punters to have a bet when pools are small. I think turnover would increase markedly and that would put more money back into the struggling harness racing industry.

Senior Member Colt Phoenix will become famous soon enough Phoenix's Avatar
    Real Name
    Panos Kambas
    I basically agree with what has been said but sometimes you just know that a horse is gonna finish up a lot shorter than what the tote is showing at a particular time. Don't forget that this works the other way too... you put a bet on a horse you are very confident will win and you know there's another horse or two that are likely to be favoured.. and their price comes in while your's blows out a bit...

Real Name
    Unknown
    I know Phoenix just have to look at the ratings the money almost always comes for the highest rated horse, it can be good if you like a 3rd or 4th fav which usually drifts, but my frustration is that so many people get put off punting harness by this happening and the problem could easily be rectified by fixed odds. Surely people in higher places can see the same thing and are making changes.

Member Yearling jsday will become famous soon enough jsday's Avatar
    Real Name
    Unknown
    Occupation
    sales
    be thankful US its all parimutuels

Senior Member 4YO Don Corleone has a spectacular aura about Don Corleone's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ray Fidow
    Occupation
    Sec Cons
    In New Zealand we need professional bookmakers. Some of the odds the TAB book makers offer us are sometimes so far behind the tote it is not worth havin a punt. In the past 3-4 days I have had a few fixed odds bets and most have finished half to three quarters of a point behind beind the tote divdend. Mind you that could be my bad judgement!!!

Real Name
    Panos Kambas
    Quote Originally Posted by peacheymagic View Post
    I know Phoenix just have to look at the ratings the money almost always comes for the highest rated horse, it can be good if you like a 3rd or 4th fav which usually drifts, but my frustration is that so many people get put off punting harness by this happening and the problem could easily be rectified by fixed odds. Surely people in higher places can see the same thing and are making changes.
    Another thing that exacerbates the situation is the mug punters who don't have a keen interest in the race except from a betting point of view. They are usually the gallops punters that see a harness race... look at who is favoured and whack their money on the favourite.. because there are a lot of short priced favourites in our sport than the gallops.. and most of these shorties get up and win.

That's why unless the shortie is a virtual certainty (eg: Blacks A Fake in a Qld FFA without Mr Feelgood or Washakie), I'll look to see if there's any other horse who has a chance of a win/place.. whether it be the race form that the mugs haven't properly read (they only see the race placings instead of reading the form) or the driver/trainer, or if the horse has a good record at a particular track.

I've often picked good priced winners or place getters from the form that to a mug punter may read 749 but that 7th placed run might be a cracker only beaten by 4m in quick time...

Real Name
    Unknown
    Spot on Phoenix it is all these larger gallops punters who after having a good day on the punt start throwing their money on harness race favourites just because they are winning and on a roll without any thought or race knowledge. As you say this can be great for the punter who has studied the form and has found a horse that is not the top rated pick as it will almost always drift in the market.

I recall two weeks ago at Menangle backing a horse who was paying 6.50 and last start ran 1.54mr at Albion park over a 1.80 fav who had won its last four starts and was rated 100 simply because it only ran a 1.57mr at Menangle... sure enough the 6.50 shot sits parked and runs the fav into the ground.

What I do now is go through the fields and do my form then go down to the TAB and see what the ratings are if the horses I like are top rated I rarely bother backing them as they often pay 1.50 or less and I don't bother with that but if they are 2nd elect I will back them.

Real Name
    Panos Kambas
    Quote Originally Posted by peacheymagic View Post
    Spot on Phoenix it is all these larger gallops punters who after having a good day on the punt start throwing their money on harness race favourites just because they are winning and on a roll without any thought or race knowledge. As you say this can be great for the punter who has studied the form and has found a horse that is not the top rated pick as it will almost always drift in the market.

I recall two weeks ago at Menangle backing a horse who was paying 6.50 and last start ran 1.54mr at Albion park over a 1.80 fav who had won its last four starts and was rated 100 simply because it only ran a 1.57mr at Menangle... sure enough the 6.50 shot sits parked and runs the fav into the ground.

What I do now is go through the fields and do my form then go down to the TAB and see what the ratings are if the horses I like are top rated I rarely bother backing them as they often pay 1.50 or less and I don't bother with that but if they are 2nd elect I will back them.
    .. and that is how you make smart money instead of backing mega short favourites...

The best feeling is when you do back a horse that you know is the best and it topples a heavily backed favourite and you just ask yourself "how didn't more people see what I saw in the form"?? (to their detriment and your benefit) ::))

+ Reply to Thread