Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: APG 2022 Sales

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    A quarter of the Perth catalogue being newbie Rock N Roll World is doing nothing for me (or the sale for that matter)
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    The auctioneers seem to running to a strict schedule, there are times when they seem pretty quick to bring the hammer down - I myself still like the accepted practice of going Once, Twice, Three times - Sold

Who stands Rock N Roll World - Allwood WA or Cobbitty NSW
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    The auctioneers do however seem knowledgeable
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Some good prices but a couple of sires probably brought the average down a bit although prolific Rock N Roll World didn't do too bad in the end

https://www.apgold.com.au/sales/sale...33/perth-2022/
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year KTQ will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Katie Howlett
    Horses
    Jack Mac, Sugar Street
    Rocknroll World is in WA at Allwood Stud. He brought low prices - some of those yearlings would have doubled in price with a commercial stallion. Despite his royal pedigree, he e didn't earn a huge amount, nor did he have a quick time against his name and buyers clearly saw that.

The auctioneers are always wonderful. Darren McCauley is a gallops caller and is knowledgeable on the trots too. It's always a fun day out, the sales, but I wish they'd put a few more tables and chairs in the room. We always find ourselves outside at the parade ring for lack of seating.
    The last couple years they've had a camera crew interviewing buyers but only had a photographer this year. Same deal for the Sales Finals the other night. Previously they've filmed each horse in the stalls before the race and then interviewed the winning connections but nothing this year.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year KTQ will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Katie Howlett
    Horses
    Jack Mac, Sugar Street
    Also bugs me that they dont put an overview of every sire, rather than just first year sires, in the catalogue book like they used to years back.

Junior Member Weanling Lorraine will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    lorraine Barnes
    Rocknoll world stood this season at cobbitty Equine for Luke and Belinda McCarthy in NSW and the previous season he was at Goulbourn Valloey Equine Hospital in Vic

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Going through the Sydney Sale for tomorrow is hard work online as the catalogue is too small to read easily on my PC but if I enlarge it, it is blurry - cannot win
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    You have to say that the APG catalogue is pretty honest
    This is particularly true of the Sire's (leading) Progeny table under his pic
    There is no hiding if there is only a couple listed that are more recent than 2014
    Some people still buy them
    It does annoy me that they do not include Foaling Date
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    In the end, I was able to zoom through the Sydney catalogue

My 5 biggest factors are
    1) What the sire has produced
    2) What the broodmare has produced
    3) What the broodmare did on the track (if she hasn't satisfied 2. above and has had limited chances to)
    4) Has the sire clicked with the sire of the dam
    5) The 2nd dam

We are looking for 1st division prize, not the horse that might win $100k. We don't want to gamble more than we have to, so no first season sires (unless they have had a great American crop) and no first foals unless the 2nd dam was prolific
    With so many unproven sires, unproven broodmares, unraced mares = easy to eliminate most

I think I counted 28 Sweet Lou's, too many for me as I am not completely sold on him yet

My list of 'Most Happy For You to Buy For Me':

Lot 573 Colt by American Ideal x Perfect Penny, a ½ bro to Antonia and a full to Miss Halfpenny
    Lot 628 Filly by Art Major x African Dancer, a full sis to Bamako Mali and Sheezallattitude
    Lot 640 Colt by Captaintreacherous x Bettorthanyou, a ¾ bro to Sicario
    Lot 646 Filly by Bettors Delight x Charlotte Church (Christian Cullen - the golden cross), a full sis to Wrappers Delight

There are others of the above golden cross which appeal (especially the last pacing lot of the sale which resembles Lazarus's pedigree) and a couple of Captaintreacherous that do not fit all my 5 criteria but I don't want to be greedy
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

+ Reply to Thread