Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Why aren't owners revolting over $4,500 races in Vic

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Ballarat tonight has $20k races but it also has $4,500 races!
    R2 has 4 last start winners, 2 of which were $7k races - why are they racing for only $4,500 tonight

http://www.harness.org.au/racing/fie...22#BAC25022207
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

aussiebreno
    You only take a 2 point penalty for your Net Rating so it has some appeal in that respect.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Have a look at these 2 races at Horsham today, why is one of them for only $4,500
    Attached Images
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    12 races at Ballarat tonight. Forget the APG heats as their prizemoney is set.
    The first two races are for only $4,500 but they didn't have to be
    Taking $7,000 as the standard, there are 5 races that have been allocated a total of $6,0000 more than $42k expected (6x$7k=$42k)
    $5k of this $6k would have been enough to see the first two races also run for $7k

Similar thing at Shep last Tuesday, 12 races again and all but R.10 for $7k plus, the pluses were enough to make the $4,500 race a $7k, instead of discriminating against one group of owners
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    The first 3 races at Hamilton today are $4,500 races
    2nd prize is only $700
    It feels like 6° in Hamilton right now
    You would have to pay me $700 to go to Hamilton today
    even though I am only 70 minutes away
    (we oldies are soft )
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Member Yearling Theoldfox will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Em C
    It's tough for the owners and trainers. They are wedged like workers protesting for better conditions from employers whilst they don't have a reasonable basic minimum wage in place.

If trainers/owners boycott nominations either the race is scrapped or someone else will nominate with an inferior horse and take what little is on offer. It's natural human behaviour during desperate times.

The only way to fight this is by grouping together and acting as a block, enough to show HRV that the participants are the lifeblood of the sport, without the participants it falls over completely. It may require action that will cripple meetings in the short term for longer term change. But it's not without pitfalls either. One may ask "What will such action do t the reputation to a sport already in decline?" It's a very troublesome predicament. Then there is the question of where the savings will come from to put into increased (actually let's call it restored) stake money.

HRA has been at the helm during the decline and decreases in prize money. They should be focused on ideas and lobbying for grants to re-invigorate the sport on behalf of the day in and day out owners, trainers and drivers. There is no quick fix. The participants are the people that will bring in the new people and train the new people on participating in the sport. At the moment, I bet if you ask random trainers at a meeting as to whether you should join the sport, they will say "It's not worth it, don't do it".

Getting money from agencies such as Government requires a strategic business plan for the purse strings to open to make the sport healthy again, then there is a need to capitalise by bringing in new people whilst the sport is healthy. I haven't seen a HRV or HRA annual report with an extensive plan. Perhaps it happens behind closed doors, but I doubt such documents exist... And don't get me started on the Eureka!

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Well said

It particularly irks me when you have other races on the card in excess of $7k which if run for $7k would have negated the need for the $4,500 races. That was only the case to a small extent at Hamilton today but even so if races 5 & 9 were for $7k then we could have had one of the $4,500 races run as a $7k
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

aussiebreno
    She Will Wantano wins one. Hadn't gone close racing over 50 raters. Got its chance today and only goes up a couple points so will be competitive next start not going up too high in rating.

Shady Dancer was the favourite in the other one and ran 2nd. Was an outsider and hadn't been sighted in $7K races after winning a $4K race not long ago.

I think they have their place for some horses.

Maybe I picked the 2 best examples to look at but these were the only two I looked at.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Have you got them in NSW?
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    Have you got them in NSW?
    Nope