Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How did Alex Ashwood perform this Miracle

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago

How did Alex Ashwood perform this Miracle

I was looking at the form for the last at Hamilton today and although Bobsled Boy was a scratching, I decided to have a look at how he came to have 111 next to his name.
    It is a MIRACLE

He raced for the Weidenbachs on Feb 16 and this was his last pathetic effort for them. Cushy 3 fence but drops out to run last beaten 42m over 1660m with the winner rating 1.57. It was an NR up to 50. He started $34 odds

http://www.harness.org.au/racing/fie...22#SPC16022203

He is transferred to the Ashwood stable and at his next start on Mar 4 over 2150m he wins by 10m in 1.58.8 despite being pressured most of the way. It was an NR up to 47. He started $1.50

http://www.harness.org.au/racing/fie...22#YGC04032206

Stewards spoke with Tayla French, driver of Bobsled Boy ($1.50 fav) regarding the improved performance of the gelding. Ms.French stated the stable were expecting a forward showing from Bobsled Boy, which had only recently joined the stable. Ms.French explained that the gelding had undergone light trackwork over the past fortnight prior to a 2nd placing in a trial at Melton last Tuesday (1 March 2022). Stewards noted the explanation of Ms.French and a post-race sample of Bobsled Boy was taken for analysis.

http://www.harness.org.au/racing/ste...l/?mc=YG040322

All it took was light trackwork for a couple of weeks and someone felt confident enough that the previous pathetic run = $1.50 pop
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    I think you have uncovered the secret Kev. For more than a century we have been fooled into believing that it was hard, fast work that improved horses. We were wrong, it now appears it is light trackwork that turns slugs into stars.

I was fortunate enough more than 40 years ago to meet the late trainer J.P. (Jack) McKay at his stables. He and his brother Bill dominated trotting during the 1950s and 60s training many champions. One of Jack's anecdotes from that day is burnt into my memory. "If a horse got fit from jogging you would think the old milk-cart horse would be the the fittest horse around. But if you sprinted him up a fast quarter he'd probably have a heart attack and drop dead". Jack was renowned for working horses hard and developing staying prowess.

Messrs Gillespie, Ross and Crowther, I would imagine, would never off heard of J. P. McKay - a legend of the industry that employs them. They need to take heed of that anecdote, stop being led with improbable stories weaved by Miss French and put the trainer, Ashwood, in the stewards room as far away from the door as possible. Question him, probe and make him feel great discomfort until he put forward at least one feasible explanation.

Until stewards get serious we should file all stewards reports in the fiction section of the library. Under fairytales.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago

Thumbs up

"If a horse got fit from jogging you would think the old milk-cart horse would be the the fittest horse around. But if you sprinted him up a fast quarter he'd probably have a heart attack and drop dead"

I can see why you would never forget it. Thanks for sharing
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    You have to say that the stewards were in a no win position on this one.
    The new stable means that they can say that they were only taking him on his face value and felt he would run well
    The trial was a masterstroke in that it gave an explanation for him being backed into $1.50
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Member Yearling Theoldfox will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Em C
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    "If a horse got fit from jogging you would think the old milk-cart horse would be the the fittest horse around. But if you sprinted him up a fast quarter he'd probably have a heart attack and drop dead"

I can see why you would never forget it. Thanks for sharing

The milk-cart horses didn't watch enough 90s TV advertising to realise that a long cold glass of Milk keeps you going all night, they should have had a drink from the back..... perhaps a milkshake is even better.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Here is another Alex Ashwood miracle for you

He punched a horse on the track at the Bendigo meeting on March 30 and only got a $500 fine

From the stewards report

A subsequent inquiry was conducted at the Kilmore meeting 31 March 2022 into the actions of driver Alex Ashwood when attending to John James Preston NZ after the gelding reared and fell. After take evidence and upon review of the available replays, Mr Ashwood was charged under Rule 240 (c) which states: A person shall not, whether alone or in association with others, do permit or suffer anything before during or after a race which in the opinion of the Stewards or Controlling Body:- (c) is improper. The particulars of the charge being that Mr Ashwood acted in an improper manner by punching James John Preston NZ with his right fist in the vicinity of the geldings ribcage on one occasion when attempting to remove the harness. Mr Ashwood reserved his plea before being found guilty of the charge. When assessing penalty, Stewards considered that the act itself cannot be condoned from a welfare perspective and any penalty needs to be a specific and general deterrent from such conduct. Stewards also considered Mr Ashwoods explanation for his actions given the horses manners at the time, safety consideration for people in the vicinity and the severity and force used which was deemed to be at the lower end of offending. Mr Ashwoods clear record in relation to conduct of this nature was also taken into consideration. A fine of $1000 was imposed of which $500 was wholly suspended for a period of 2 years.

http://www.harness.org.au/racing/ste...l/?mc=BN300322

Now I didn't see it and more detail as to Mr Ashwood's explanation is needed (was the gear stuck under him etc etc) BUT how badly does this read for harness racing and animal welfare
    Last edited by Messenger; 04-02-2022 at 06:34 PM. Reason: link
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    PP's hatred of Alex Ashwood knows no bounds
    He thinks he was not trying on Loyola Golf in R7 at Shep on Wednesday
    But why would you drive a horse so beautifully from 11 to get the 1x1 on the favourite's back if that was your intent
    Sure he got pocketed (but battled to line anyway). This is where PP tells us that winning driver Ellen Tormey lives with Alex and girlfriend Tayla and that Jack Laugher who did the pocketing is an item with Jack
    Except for leader Rocknroll Ranger compounding badly to run last after getting the blows in the market, it just looked like another race to me

http://www.harness.org.au/racing/fie...22#SPC06042204

I can however imagine that 'who is going out with who' in the driving ranks could make things harder/trickier for the stewards
    Tough penalties for any below par drives and monitoring of betting (along with pre race swabbing) are however the answer to most integrity issues - we need to be tougher but I don't see anything in Shep R7
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    No miracle this time as Ashford Secret galloped but PP asks the question this morning about how this horse could start $1.65 last night
    Attached Images
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    It is a totally valid question for the ongoing quest for integrity in harness racing. Unfortunately the stewards seem more intent on enjoying the balmy Suntasia weather. Seemingly unaware of the huge turnaround in betting odds from the horse's previous dismal performances they failed to take a pre-race blood test. And I doubt the veterinary examination the horse received after the race included a lood test or urine sample being taken.

Watching the race, the horse had its ears twitching and raced keenly all the way. It was still going okay until half way down the back straight when it was challenged. The horse reverted to type and sought the white flag rule. Ashwood responded by loose ring and urging the horse on. Having lost control of the horse's mouth the horse broke. Ashwood caused the horse to break, no doubt, but the stewards missed that as well. A poor drive killed the plunge. Poor stewarding has buried why there was a plunge and we are all the poorer for it.

+ Reply to Thread