Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Eureka - Menangle to host worlds richest harness race

Junior Member Weanling dmac43 will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Dannie McKinnon
    Breeder also gets $10k, So a Breeder/Owner with a slot is guaranteed $55k back and they give their breed a chance to win $1 million bucks.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    So now all we need to do is
    - breed a horse that is a champion and keep him (or buy one)
    - he probably does need to be a he
    - we need him to be an outstanding 4yo (cannot see too many 3yo's beating top 4yo's)
    - and we need him to in form that week

Have I forgotten anything
    - oh yeah I have to have $300k for a slot and supposedly convince them to sell me one (3yrs is a bit of a bummer as I am not likely to do it more than once in 3yrs so it is probably going to cost me 3 x $55k (or $45k) to do it. So I am getting $1M to $165k ie odds of 5/1
    - I might need the money to buy a good horse if I cannot breed one
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    It's pretty simple really, as shown by the NZ race. First order of business is selling the slots. That should happen easily. Then, slot holders go searching for their preferred horse and seek to cut a deal with the owners. In NZ roughly half the slot holders had their own horses run but other slot holders negotiated with owners. It was no surprise the winner, Self Assured, was the first slot filled.

Without knowing details of the deal between the owner and the slot holder I imagine a 50/50 split would be a fair deal. For The Race that would amount to earnings of $200K each before trainer and driver percentages. That, to me, looks a pretty attractive deal for the owner for a single race.

The Eureka is not as attractive as HRA has imposed a "miners tax" to partially fund the race. However, if I was lucky enough to own a crack 3 or 4 year old pacer over the next three or four years I'd be dusting off the welcome mat should a slot holder come calling. The slot holder takes the risks, the owners reap the rewards.

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    Would a business want a slot from a profit/loss perspective unless they could get good kickbacks from it - who would that be?!
    Kev, again talking about The Race, take a look at the names of the slot holders:

https://www.therace.nz/slots/://

Hydroflow is the Breckon's irrigation pump business and they part own Spankem along with the Kennards. Kennards are major horse syndicators and own South Coast Arden in partnership with the Breckons, so between connections they double their chances with two slots and promote their respective businesses. Krug's slot is owned by Ladbrokes, the bookies. They have a sizeable advertising budget.

And so on. In answer to the question you posed, look no further than SENZ.

This company is the NZ broadcasting arm of Craig Hutchinson's SEN sports media business. Hutchy jumped at the chance for his business to be the first slot holder and, due to exemplary proactive negotiations, secured NZ's best pacer as The Race's first confirmed starter.

This caught even SENZ's on air announcers by surprise. Hutchy was on air in NZ the next morning explaining the move. Over coming weeks the radio station ran competitions for listeners to win 1% "ownership" of Self Assured for The Race. This created greater awareness of the fledgling broadcaster and introduced a whole new bunch of "owners" to harness racing. They all went off their heads when Self Assured won and pocketed two grand each just for the fun of it.

Do you reckon at least a few of those one-time "owners" might have developed a taste for harness racing? Do you reckon SENZ might have a higher profile now than it had a few months back?

And, after speaking to people who should know, a large percentage of the crowd at Cambridge on a Thursday night before Easter were first time attendees. Given the terrific attractions and promotions put on by the club on the night I would expect many of them to come back again.

It would appear everyone was a winner from The Race. Whether The Eureka can be as successful depends heavily on HRA and Club Menangle's ability and willingness to learn from Cambridge.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Trev, I will be happy if Eureka finds wealthy people to buy the slots regardless of the maths. That is what it should be - returning to the sports origins : "My horse is better than yours, how about ...."

I think SENZ sounds like a one off but maybe we will find one of them. Maybe not a new business but one that copies SENZ. I can't say I believe lucky competition winners are likely to become owners again, they will definitely enter more competitions but that is already what they do.

Betting agencies have so much money (for advertising too) so why not. Several of them is the most likely scenario, as long as making the TAB naming sponsor does not preclude that

Radio stations (and media networks - fingers crossed) and Betting agencies having a vested interest in promoting harness racing can only be good so you have won me over
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    From Harnesslink News

HRA is desperate to shut down any Stallion owners’ criticism of their controversial Stallion Tax.

https://harnesslink.com/australia/dont-you-dare/
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Adam Hamilton has reported that Leap Of Faith and Catch A Wave are working their programs around the Eureka in 11 months time

https://www.thetrots.com.au/news/the...-trots-titles/
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    https://www.theeureka.com.au/

Not even 10 weeks until the Eureka

I do think these icons next to every 2yo,3yo & 4yo in the Form Guide are bit large
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Messenger; 06-26-2023 at 05:25 PM.
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    It really is an awful icon - it is like 4 icons
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

aussiebreno
    https://peterprofit.com/is-singo-rea...or-the-eureka/

"John Singleton, informed by his team of advisors - unnamed - is gong to pick the emergencies himself, or so it appears"

Really not sure how PP has come to that conclusion.

Singo the person picks his 1 horse slot holding from the Singo race.

The emergencies selected by an independent panel nothing to do with Singo the person.

+ Reply to Thread