Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Left Field Ideas to Reinvigorate Harness Racing

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    "Boring and robotic is how I often see races now"

That is true of many of our races Em and 99% of USA races
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Member Yearling JanellePeter will become famous soon enough JanellePeter's Avatar
    Real Name
    J & P Haywood
    Occupation
    Sectional Data to HRA
    Left field ideas are my thing. The sport is slowly dying for 2 reasons.
    1 - General public think it is dodgy and don't want to punt because of that. The racing needs to be fair.
    2 - It hasn't offered anything new to attract the easily distracted young people.

I previously offered the idea of speed skating to make races fairer. It was knocked back very quickly but you shouldn't knock back ideas with proper consideration and understanding.
    Get 4 runners on a trial day to give it a go and you might find that it is possible and actually provides fairer racing.
    http://pjdata.com.au/idea/
    Another idea - Straight line racing - 2.5Km stretch with lanes for every horse. No interference, no sitting behind another horse to get a cart home just fastest horse wins.
    On animal welfare the idea of straight line racing could then allow for driverless races and no buggies. Don't laugh. This is already happening oversees - Driven on the sidelines.

I disagree that the general public will be drawn in by by smaller tracks and driver skill. They are betting on the horse and it would be good to know each runner is going to get a fair chance. If punters want to see drivers race, get the drivers to run along the home straight carrying a buggy behind. I actually would bet on that! Pencil that in as idea number 3.
    Home of PJ Harness Analyser - http://pjdata.com.au/

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Janelle, people suggested a figure 8 track could be a disaster, I cannot see how your speed skating/crossover idea, could not result in collisions
    Of course your 2.5km straight stretch idea is premised on the idea that spectators/attendees are no longer important
    I know I am sounding negative but need you to elaborate
    We do know that small tracks drew crowds and created excitement decades ago that of course may/would seem to be history but at least the small track has some form in the form guide

Probably better discussed in another thread but I very much take your point about the perception that it is dodgy. Some will argue that racing has its fair share of scandals but somehow the press/public seem to be more understanding of them
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Member Yearling JanellePeter will become famous soon enough JanellePeter's Avatar
    Real Name
    J & P Haywood
    Occupation
    Sectional Data to HRA
    I don't know how to explain the speed skating any clearer sorry. It is separating horses and should therefore reduce collision.
    If you run 2 horses around a track - One on the inner and other on the outer part of the track they will be 50m away from each other by the time the complete 1 lap.
    It is more than enough room to switch lanes.
    When they enter the straight the final time horses running at equal speeds will come together but they don't need to switch over in the final straight.
    This idea provides more opportunity for horses on inner / outer to get clear running or rails runs and is very easy to setup on existing tracks that have sufficient width.

We also thought the introduction of the our individual sectional times back in 2015 and PJ Analyser soon after would provide the punters with more information which is a key driver these days to make the punter feel empowered with information.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Right, I wasn't thinking about how far the outside should be behind the inside (50m?) but I would still worry that if there are any stragglers in say a field of 8, there could be a recipe for collisions
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Colt Big K will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Kevin Spurr
    Horses
    Bonavista Bay, Shoobees Place
    Quote Originally Posted by JanellePeter View Post
    Left field ideas are my thing. The sport is slowly dying for 2 reasons.
    1 - General public think it is dodgy and don't want to punt because of that. The racing needs to be fair.
    2 - It hasn't offered anything new to attract the easily distracted young people.

I previously offered the idea of speed skating to make races fairer. It was knocked back very quickly but you shouldn't knock back ideas with proper consideration and understanding.
    Get 4 runners on a trial day to give it a go and you might find that it is possible and actually provides fairer racing.
    http://pjdata.com.au/idea/
    Another idea - Straight line racing - 2.5Km stretch with lanes for every horse. No interference, no sitting behind another horse to get a cart home just fastest horse wins.
    On animal welfare the idea of straight line racing could then allow for driverless races and no buggies. Don't laugh. This is already happening oversees - Driven on the sidelines.

I disagree that the general public will be drawn in by by smaller tracks and driver skill. They are betting on the horse and it would be good to know each runner is going to get a fair chance. If punters want to see drivers race, get the drivers to run along the home straight carrying a buggy behind. I actually would bet on that! Pencil that in as idea number 3.
    I think both options presented are full of merit. I just had a quick look at the speed skating scenario and think it is something I would like to see given ago.. initially at trials and adopted from there into racing if it is workable. I have for a long time thought that straight track racing is our future or at the least there is a track in each State. It provides more opportunities for everybody involved..especially the punters who provide our income for stakes and whom we are losing hand over fist currently. I have friends who go to the Gallops for the day but still only watch the races on tv there as it's impossible to really see what's going on unless you have binoculars... but the perception is that you get a run for your money.. which is becoming lost with betting on harness. In my opinion, I wouldn't like to see lanes as if one horse makes a break or veer's out it can have a knock on effect and the stewards would have a full time job sorting it out..I think the option of drivers having the choice of ducking in behind another runner till he was ready to unleash would allow the driver the room and the skill to be on show still. I think a very immediate thing that needs to be done is to create mobile handicapping system using a lighting system.. it can be done in this day and age..10mtr blocks of lights of different coloured lights that move in unison with the speed of the mobile. Short priced favourites can kill a race and many punters just look on but more over bet more on the gallops and the dogs, we need to put value back into betting on the trots. We need to change things or we will perish if we don't make changes to the way we race.
    Anyhow just some of my thoughts.
    Last edited by Big K; 07-23-2022 at 04:59 PM. Reason: spelling mistake

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Big Kev, your point that rings truest for me is that we still have far too many short priced/odds on favourites that kills general public betting. We cannot be dependent on a couple of dozen pro punters competing with each other taking exotics - for that is what I believe is going on half the time. Like you said "we need to change things or we will perish" - ASAP but good luck with getting the industry to agree
    (ps We must get the racing media to believe in our integrity and product)
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    J & P Haywood
    Occupation
    Sectional Data to HRA
    Remember this is left field subject:
    Straight line racings does present some other opportunities. Bridges over the track at various points would give the patrons some different viewing. Glass paneling so patrons can view but can't interrupt the racing.
    A moving grandstand would be a great attraction people would pay to go on - Follow the race along. I would put this on the inside of the track and let it accomodate stewards and cameramen as well as a select number of patrons. I am picturing a medium sized structure on tracks. Would take a bit to get it started so false starts would be interesting. Would also have to be well fenced off!
    Because most of the following these days is on the screen the straight line racing would see a camera follow the racing for the length of the race. No squinting to see your horse in the back straight on your screen.

On the point of small crowds I think most people these days go to the races for the stuff in between racings. Gallops seem to have fashion all tied up so harness racing should come up with something different. I don't know what but maybe others have some good ideas here.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    These definitely could be good ideas for Jeff Gural owner of the Meadowlands more so than us (at this stage/finances)
    I did state in the opening post: Ideally not cost an absolute fortune

The gallops have a close up camera inside the track following the field - so no squinting for TV viewers (and I am not referring to just straight 6 racing either)
    I think many people go to the races for the dining - have been known to never go out for a race
    I cannot see us competing with that BUT must improve in that area
    Alternative thinking (from someone who will not go to nearby trots if it is too long between races unless it is 10/10 weather) - make the time between races MUCH shorter. It has been done

I was thinking of a small compromise on straight line racing might be a 2000m track (with 650m straights) where mile racing would only be ¾ of a lap - 609 down back str, 350m bend (like Menangle) and 650m home str [all aproximate for now]. Not saying I would love it or that I want anymore mile racing - just throwing it out there
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    In the mid-90's a consortium was formed with the purpose of developing 2400 metre straight harness tracks. Racing was no be 10 across in straight lines. And NO MEMBERS OF HE PUBLIC! This was meant to be a purely televised gambling product. I know land near Maryborough (Victoria) had been selected and may even have been purchased because a colleague of mine was a consulting civil engineer on the project.

I don't recall what happened with the project. Perhaps 300 metre Greyhound races at Healesville achieved the same thing only much quicker and less boring! 20 seconds versus 160 seconds of straightline boredom. For all its foibles running two or three laps, when moves are made, is far more entertaining.

+ Reply to Thread