Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Starship Captain View Post
    Complaining about lost money is not isolated to standardbred breeders.
    Breeder's are themselves a special breed and have a PASSION to produce race horse's, to see a foal born, raise it to an age that it can be sold and then have it race and win. Being there at the track is just the most awesome experience. The up's and down's of breeding and parting with some money would give you a much better understanding, but firstly you will need to find a mare or filly that you are absolutely in LOVE with and that you believe 110% she is capable of producing a good race horse. When you find that mare and see that first foal you will be hooked, you will most likely pay what ever it take's to make sure it is looked after correctly, even when the chance of getting a return on that money is very slim.

Well said jason, I cannot think of one person I've met in my 40 odd years involvement, be they breeders,owners, trainers etc. that have not had the passion for the horses and the game.
    If that passion were not there the game would have died long ago. Nobody I know is in this game for purely for a buck, there have been some who have lost their way......and in saying that I have no problem with people making an honest living doing what they love to do.. good on them!

But at some stage we have all "got hooked", and thats what keeps many of us going..waiting for the next handy horse...hoping for a Karloo Mick ( and never daring to dream for a Blacks a Fake)

My main current hope is that our game can be cleaned up properly after all the recent fallout.....
    Cheers,

Dan

aussiebreno
    Complaining about lost money is not isolated to standardbred breeders.
    Absolutely - poor business sense. As you've pointed out before most people aren't in racing for business but for the passion and love.
    Breeder's are themselves a special breed and have a PASSION to produce race horse's, to see a foal born, raise it to an age that it can be sold and then have it race and win. Being there at the track is just the most awesome experience. The up's and down's of breeding and parting with some money would give you a much better understanding, but firstly you will need to find a mare or filly that you are absolutely in LOVE with and that you believe 110% she is capable of producing a good race horse. When you find that mare and see that first foal you will be hooked, you will most likely pay what ever it take's to make sure it is looked after correctly, even when the chance of getting a return on that money is very slim.
    Funds are low at the moment (uni student working part time) but my long term priorites 1. horses 2.nice car 3.house. I get so much thrill from watching relatives horses race, can only imagine what the thrill from my own. I will also go in with the mantra not to expect much back - it would be great if everyone could make a good dollar and I yearn for that day - but to me its just an expensive but bloody brilliant hobby.

Senior Member 2YO Starship Captain will become famous soon enough Starship Captain's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jason Cash
    I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can Perhaps I may become a highwayman again
    Occupation
    Starship Captain
    Long term priorites? swapping 1 and 3 will give you the best chance of completing all 3

Administrator 3YO admin will become famous soon enough admin's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jules Boven
    Occupation
    Marketing Manager
    Horses
    Charge Forward
    Long term priorites? swapping 1 and 3 will give you the best chance of completing all 3
    Brilliant
    Please read the rules before posting.

Harnesslink Marketing Manager

aussiebreno
    Lol yeah, I know. Was just conveying how keen I am to get into things.
    Last edited by aussiebreno; 01-26-2012 at 01:39 AM.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Greg Hando will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Greg Hando
    Join a syndicate and try it for yourself you never know what might come of it you might be lucky to get in a good one .
    Have whoever you want on but don't ever have yourself on

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Hando View Post
    Join a syndicate and try it for yourself you never know what might come of it you might be lucky to get in a good one .
    Solid advice, syndicates are great in getting new owners into the game - don't get me wrong - but I'd rather see my horse a bit closer to me and own more than the tail. I have family on both sides who are trainers (whether they'd want to train one for me is a different story altogether!) so that way I'd be more involved with the horse.

Senior Member 2YO Starship Captain will become famous soon enough Starship Captain's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jason Cash
    I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can Perhaps I may become a highwayman again
    Occupation
    Starship Captain
    "poor business sense".
    This is not applicable to breeding horses, as "good business sense" has the same result in the end

Member Filly remington will become famous soon enough remington's Avatar
    Real Name
    joshua tinning
    Horses
    il tesoro, total control
    some one should of told me this alot earlier, once i bought 1 its been a crazy obsession

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Greg Hando will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Greg Hando
    Take a share in one with them then and see how it goes.
    Have whoever you want on but don't ever have yourself on

+ Reply to Thread