Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Melbourne Premium Sale

Senior Member 2YO Starship Captain will become famous soon enough Starship Captain's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jason Cash
    I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can Perhaps I may become a highwayman again
    Occupation
    Starship Captain
    A good friend has truck's, one of them being a top of the range Kenworth. He sound's exactly the same and he never stop's telling me how good his truck's are,
    even worse he is right

Senior Member 4YO eliteblood has a spectacular aura about eliteblood's Avatar
    Real Name
    Trevor Swan
    Horses
    Sabilize, Sushi Sushi, Golden Goddess,
    Quote Originally Posted by Starship Captain View Post
    A good friend has truck's, one of them being a top of the range Kenworth. He sound's exactly the same and he never stop's telling me how good his truck's are,
    even worse he is right
    Sorry about that Jason but I feel exactly the same way about Sabilize as your friend does about his truck. Looking at the yearling selections within this thread, I get the impression that some people are dismissing Sushi Sushi as a fluke so I wanted to raise the awareness of the magnificent bloodlines that exist within Sabilize and which resulted in the making of Sushi.
    Almost everyone overlooked Sushi when offered as a yearling three years ago. What a big mistake that turned out to be.

Senior Member 2YO Starship Captain will become famous soon enough Starship Captain's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jason Cash
    I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can Perhaps I may become a highwayman again
    Occupation
    Starship Captain
    No one could say anything negative about Sushi Sushi as a race horse or on pedigree, do you have a picture of the yearling? and I am getting the impression that come sale day you would be a whole heap of fun to be around

Super Moderator Stallion mango will become famous soon enough mango's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dallas Harvey
    Occupation
    Shift Operator
    Horses
    G R We There Yet, Crowea
    Quote Originally Posted by eliteblood View Post
    Sorry about that Jason but I feel exactly the same way about Sabilize as your friend does about his truck. Looking at the yearling selections within this thread, I get the impression that some people are dismissing Sushi Sushi as a fluke so I wanted to raise the awareness of the magnificent bloodlines that exist within Sabilize and which resulted in the making of Sushi.
    Almost everyone overlooked Sushi when offered as a yearling three years ago. What a big mistake that turned out to be.
    Hi Trevor

I never dismissed your colt cause of pedigree i dismissed him as he is a colt and my top 5 picks are fillies.

aussiebreno
    Trevor, (all are welcome to reply)

Don't take this as an attack, I'm not being a smart arse. Genuinely want to know this for a while and your posts have triggered it from my memory bank.

But why do you sell if you think the yearling is so good. Yeah you made some money on Sushi Sushi at the yearling sales and get a % of wins, and even thought thats nothing to complain about, you could have won a whole damn sight more if you'd kept him (this isn't just a Sushi Sushi thing but any good horse that comes from a yearling sale).

I get how some may only be into breeding rather than racing. But to me its like this - if Cronulla have a good young halfback (eg yearling) in the Toyota Cup I'd rather see him winning best and fairests at Cronulla (for his breeder) rather than winning best and fairests at St George (new owner). So how come you just don't keep your foals for racing?

Or is there more money, across the board, in breeding in your opinion? In which case the mass breeders complaining about sale prices each year annoys me even more. If they're so bad then race the thing yourself! Again not at you personally as I've never heard you say that, just a generalisation of breeders.

Not being a horse breeder myself I want to tap into the minds of those who are!
    Cheers

Real Name
    Jason Cash
    Occupation
    Starship Captain
    For us it come's down to cost, we would love to race all our foals but the cost's involved in doing that make's it necessary for us to sell some of them.

Real Name
    Trevor Swan
    Horses
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiebreno View Post
    Trevor, (all are welcome to reply)

Don't take this as an attack, I'm not being a smart arse. Genuinely want to know this for a while and your posts have triggered it from my memory bank.

But why do you sell if you think the yearling is so good. Yeah you made some money on Sushi Sushi at the yearling sales and get a % of wins, and even thought thats nothing to complain about, you could have won a whole damn sight more if you'd kept him (this isn't just a Sushi Sushi thing but any good horse that comes from a yearling sale).

I get how some may only be into breeding rather than racing. But to me its like this - if Cronulla have a good young halfback (eg yearling) in the Toyota Cup I'd rather see him winning best and fairests at Cronulla (for his breeder) rather than winning best and fairests at St George (new owner). So how come you just don't keep your foals for racing?

Or is there more money, across the board, in breeding in your opinion? In which case the mass breeders complaining about sale prices each year annoys me even more. If they're so bad then race the thing yourself! Again not at you personally as I've never heard you say that, just a generalisation of breeders.

Not being a horse breeder myself I want to tap into the minds of those who are!
    Cheers
    Hi Brendan,

As Jason replied, it's a matter of trying to balance the books.
    I had kept every Sabilize foal prior to Sushi. That amounted to a very expensive exercise with high priced service fees, agistment, vet fees and training fees. I would have liked to have kept Sushi because I always thought it was only a matter of time that Sabilize threw a top class horse but I had dug a pretty deep hole and got to the position whereby I had to try and recoup some money. It was a case of take $35k or spend another $10k + and perhaps end up with nothing. Obviously, I made a very, very, very bad decision. (How cruel can the gods be !!!)
    The "mass breeders complaining about sale prices" are not just whingers. It is a very tough game but you can make some good money at times if you own the right mare at the right time and put her to the right stallion.

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    Hi Brendan,

I had kept every Sabilize foal prior to Sushi. That amounted to a very expensive exercise with high priced service fees, agistment, vet fees and training fees. I would have liked to have kept Sushi because I always thought it was only a matter of time that Sabilize threw a top class horse but I had dug a pretty deep hole and got to the position whereby I had to try and recoup some money. It was a case of take $35k or spend another $10k + and perhaps end up with nothing. Obviously, I made a very, very, very bad decision. (How cruel can the gods be !!!)
    The "mass breeders complaining about sale prices" are not just whingers. It is a very tough game but you can make some good money at times if you own the right mare at the right time and put her to the right stallion.
    Geez Trevor, I didn't realise you were that stiff, as in he was the first foal from her you sold!
    Being a Hunter Valley bloke I managed to see Sabilize in action a few times and have also had the privilidge of casting my eye over Sushi as well, by golly he looks so much like his mother to me, only a smaller version ( which personally, I believe, can work in many horses' favour... I don't buy the " good big horse better than a good little horse adage).

Did the mare throw her type to previous foals?.. just curious, a hobby breeder myself.

Cheers,
    Dan

aussiebreno
    Hi Brendan,

I had kept every Sabilize foal prior to Sushi. That amounted to a very expensive exercise with high priced service fees, agistment, vet fees and training fees. Agree I would have liked to have kept Sushi because I always thought it was only a matter of time that Sabilize threw a top class horse but I had dug a pretty deep hole and got to the position whereby I had to try and recoup some money. More than fair enough It was a case of take $35k or spend another $10k + and perhaps end up with nothing.Fair enough Obviously, I made a very, very, very bad decision. (How cruel can the gods be !!!) Look at the positives, you've bred an absolute superstar.
    The "mass breeders complaining about sale prices" are not just whingers. I'd love it if everyone in the industry was able to make a dollar but the mass breeders must take into account buyers could 'spend another $10k + and perhaps end up with nothing' - again not directed at you just at the mass breeders. I really do wish the stallion owners, broodmare owners and sales companies could all make a crust but that extra $10K of profit could also be a buyers $10K loss. It is a very tough game but you can make some good money at times if you own the right mare at the right time and put her to the right stallion.As you should with Sushi's little brother, best of luck come sales day
    I take it you also own Formalize?

Real Name
    Trevor Swan
    Horses
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Geez Trevor, I didn't realise you were that stiff, as in he was the first foal from her you sold!
    Being a Hunter Valley bloke I managed to see Sabilize in action a few times and have also had the privilidge of casting my eye over Sushi as well, by golly he looks so much like his mother to me, only a smaller version ( which personally, I believe, can work in many horses' favour... I don't buy the " good big horse better than a good little horse adage).

Did the mare throw her type to previous foals?.. just curious, a hobby breeder myself.

Cheers,
    Dan
    Hi Dan,

You can see some of Sabilize in most of her foals but they have generally been better overall types then what she is.
    There is a Ponder 2YO grand-daughter however that does look very much like her. Unfortunately, it only has one eye. Some might say that it takes after me

+ Reply to Thread