Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by eliteblood View Post
    Hi Dan,

You can see some of Sabilize in most of her foals but they have generally been better overall types then what she is.
    There is a Ponder 2YO grand-daughter however that does look very much like her. Unfortunately, it only has one eye. Some might say that it takes after me
    Ha Ha, your entitled to be a bit one eyed, in my opinion, Sabilize was and is a great mare and we are seeing through her son the benefit of your investment in the breed, I can see what you say about "overall type" , but to my eye her build ( and that same build I see in Sushi Sushi ) was not "pretty" but a frame designed for speed.

Probably one of the multitude of reasons, Art Major worked? He being so perfectly balanced in conformation? I see Art Major is crossing very well with Safely Kept mares thus far and similarly ( whilst there is also an obvious outcross advantage) the safely kept mares are generally quite angular, built for speed types.

Additionally I think Art major is getting good results from mares that could get "on the toe" a bit, and getting a few from other types of mares that are inclined to be a bit too relaxed.

Cheers,

Dan

Senior Member 2YO Starship Captain will become famous soon enough Starship Captain's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jason Cash
    I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can Perhaps I may become a highwayman again
    Occupation
    Starship Captain
    Hi Aussiebreno,
    I will post the breeding history of 5 of our most recent mares and offspring with the all costs, to help you get a better understanding of
    why breeders complain.

Senior Member 4YO eliteblood has a spectacular aura about eliteblood's Avatar
    Real Name
    Trevor Swan
    Horses
    Sabilize, Sushi Sushi, Golden Goddess,
    I sold Formalize about 18 months ago

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Greg Hando will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Greg Hando
    Don't knock yourself for selling Sushi Trevor he may not have turned out like he has with someone else training him it's obvious the horse is happy and enjoying racing but with someone else he might have been a sour squib or if like me he would have got hurt in the paddock then you would have kicked yourself for not considering to sell him.
    Have whoever you want on but don't ever have yourself on

Senior Member 4YO eliteblood has a spectacular aura about eliteblood's Avatar
    Real Name
    Trevor Swan
    Horses
    Sabilize, Sushi Sushi, Golden Goddess,
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Hando View Post
    Don't knock yourself for selling Sushi Trevor he may not have turned out like he has with someone else training him it's obvious the horse is happy and enjoying racing but with someone else he might have been a sour squib or if like me he would have got hurt in the paddock then you would have kicked yourself for not considering to sell him.
    That's true Greg. I don't beat myself up for selling him because it was the right thing to do at the time. I obviously get a great thrill and satisfaction from watching him race.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Greg Hando will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Greg Hando
    Yeah it's a great thrill to watch what you breed race and win, and one thing is for sure if you sell a good horse they'll come back and get another one off you 9 times out of ten.
    Have whoever you want on but don't ever have yourself on

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Starship Captain View Post
    Hi Aussiebreno,
    I will post the breeding history of 5 of our most recent mares and offspring with the all costs, to help you get a better understanding of
    why breeders complain.
    Cheers, even if you want to Private message.

Senior Member 2YO Starship Captain will become famous soon enough Starship Captain's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jason Cash
    I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can Perhaps I may become a highwayman again
    Occupation
    Starship Captain
    1- Purchased mare$10,000 infoal $3,000 early Febuary. 10 Months($4,700) later, foaling good, foal was allergic to mares milk foal DEAD(not exact on this cost but was around $800). Bred mare$4,500 and infoal($1,100). 11 Months($5170) later foaling good extra cost ??of feeding foal, bred mare $5,500 and back infoal($750), 7 Months($3290) later foal weaned. Weanlings 9 Months($2565) later, the yearlings are put inside 3 Months later($2610) Sold to the highest bidder. These costs do not include ABC, APG, rego, transport, our time, etc we do a lot ourselves because we enjoy the horses. This mare got off to a bad start, but we have faith that she will produce a good race horse.
    You can see the time involved to produce a yearling(40 Months for this mare)and the costs are not at all small, to tell someone that has put the time and money into breeding a horse that they should not complain about the price they get is a little harsh and then to say you should race them all is just silly.

One is enough
    Last edited by Starship Captain; 01-25-2012 at 12:23 PM.

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Starship Captain View Post
    1- Purchased mare$10,000 infoal $3,000 early Febuary. 10 Months($4,700) later, foaling good, foal was allergic to mares milk foal DEAD(not exact on this cost but was around $800). Bred mare$4,500 and infoal($1,100). 11 Months($5170) later foaling good extra cost ??of feeding foal, bred mare $5,500 and back infoal($750), 7 Months($3290) later foal weaned. Weanlings 9 Months($2565) later, the yearlings are put inside 3 Months later($2610) Sold to the highest bidder. These costs do not include ABC, APG, rego, transport, our time, etc we do a lot ourselves because we enjoy the horses. This mare got off to a bad start, but we have faith that she will produce a good race horse.
    You can see the time involved to produce a yearling(40 Months for this mare)and the costs are not at all small, to tell someone that has put the time and money into breeding a horse that they should not complain about the price they get is a little harsh and then to say you should race them all is just silly.

One is enough
    Yep, high costs as I thought. But do you also understand why sale prices aren't as high as everybody (me included) would like? Fair enough prices are too low, but you can't blame people for not buying when one isn't prepared to race its self. By all means recoup some funds but those who breed to sell should have some understanding of the costs involved in racing therefore should know prices aren't going to be extravagant - and therefore not be surprised at low sale prices.
    From the start you have to be prepared for that but I think some breeders are scratching their head and dumbfounded when prices don't meet their expectations, and actually think they will get $40,000 when in reality $20,000 is something close to the sale value.
    I might be off the ball - but too me it seems some are whinging about buyers not parting with their money as opposed to whinging against the reasons why buyers aren't parting with their money.
    By all means recoup losses - but I don't see the need in moaning and groaning about not getting enough money upon sale. If that's the case don't breed, or expect to make money out of it, or race it yourself. I know if I keep getting burnt I don't go down the same path time and time again with nothing changing.
    At the same time I would dearly love prize-money to go up to encourage higher prices yearlings - whinge about that not buyers not paying enough!!! (Which I'm sure most are, just a few who seem oblivious and think buyers should be paying more in the current climate)

Real Name
    Jason Cash
    Occupation
    Starship Captain
    Complaining about lost money is not isolated to standardbred breeders.
    Breeder's are themselves a special breed and have a PASSION to produce race horse's, to see a foal born, raise it to an age that it can be sold and then have it race and win. Being there at the track is just the most awesome experience. The up's and down's of breeding and parting with some money would give you a much better understanding, but firstly you will need to find a mare or filly that you are absolutely in LOVE with and that you believe 110% she is capable of producing a good race horse. When you find that mare and see that first foal you will be hooked, you will most likely pay what ever it take's to make sure it is looked after correctly, even when the chance of getting a return on that money is very slim.

+ Reply to Thread