Roll With Joe
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: How good is McCarthy

Junior Member Foal THE SIVER FOX will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    harvey robson
    Quote Originally Posted by Itisi View Post
    Mannings used to do that to don't know why they have slowed down and does anybody know why team Douglas stopped going to NSW
    L McCarthy strike rate is starting to look like C Gleeson, D Aitkin in the good old days were they won the program between them on friday night's at H.P .

triplev123
    Win a race now and again and otherwise all but eat the paint off the walls & generally speaking people will be happy for you. Win a race or two per week or otherwise snag that one good horse after years of pushing pie eaters around & the goodwill starts to dry up pretty quickly. Win a race or two or more per meeting or more or manage to get a string of handy ones through your stable & then all of a sudden you're the biggest bastard to have walked the face of the Earth. Jealousy, turning Saints into the sea. It's a terrible thing.

Senior Member 2YO Starship Captain will become famous soon enough Starship Captain's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jason Cash
    I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can Perhaps I may become a highwayman again
    Occupation
    Starship Captain
    Sad that this view is so common, it could be that heaps of today's harness racing fan's are

Merry Xmas
    Last edited by Starship Captain; 12-24-2011 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Merry Xmas & a Happy New Year

Banned Gelding racefair will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Jett Miller
    Quote Originally Posted by triplev123 View Post
    Win a race now and again and otherwise all but eat the paint off the walls & generally speaking people will be happy for you. Win a race or two per week or otherwise snag that one good horse after years of pushing pie eaters around & the goodwill starts to dry up pretty quickly. Win a race or two or more per meeting or more or manage to get a string of handy ones through your stable & then all of a sudden you're the biggest bastard to have walked the face of the Earth. Jealousy, turning Saints into the sea. It's a terrible thing.
    Hi Jamie, I think that emotions extend beyond jealousy to dissapointment and frustration that even with the prizemoney increases and more money coming into the game, that most Sydney trainers and owners are still wasting their time when racing against Luke McCarthy.
    He drives most of his horses confidently from any barrier, can death seat and still gets them home.
    With 88 wins and over $850,000 in stakes already this season, he has taken a big amount out of the game.
    Furthermore, he gets horses off good tainers such as Heath (Excel Stride) and Day (Roman Stride) because of his ability to improve anything. Some say that his transformation of horses in such a short space of time is unnatural.
    Why would an owner give their horse to any trainer other than Luke McCarthy? That's a bad question for the livelyhood/business of any other trainer in Harness Racing that wishes to race in Sydney or in Group1 races.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year mightymo will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Harvey Kaplan
    Horses
    Bling It On, Nike Franco, Cruz Bromac
    In Perth, Bond, Hall and Olivieri completely dominate. They often win the card between themselves and get many horses from around Aust and NZ to improve significantly.
    In Vic, Douglas, Braun, Justice, Kelly and Lilley are doing likewise.

Does that mean they are all cheats??

I dont think so. These stables generally have great facilities and plenty of well purchased stock including some high priced lots and they seem to get the best out of the horses.

People are very quick to talk about the horses that improve, but there are just as many where there is no improvement. Luke sacks plenty of horses because he cant get them to improve and they often land up in Qld where the racing is weaker.

For mine the most improved horse in the country is Heza Trick. Six months ago he was racing in the deep south of NZ and had won 1 out of 5 starts in 2.11!!!! God forbid, this should be natural improvement...

Maybe all these whingers should go and spend some time at these stables and see exactly what they are doing. For mine, the hardest working trainers seem to be getting the rewards...
    Last edited by mightymo; 12-25-2011 at 12:17 AM. Reason: typo

Senior Member 2YO Big Max will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Ross La Spina
    Absolutely agree 100% with you Mighty but "QLD where the racing is weaker" i really don't think so.Sydney metro racing and QLD metro racing are on a par in my opinion, we have M0's and M1's regularly running miles in 55 and 56.The days of coming up to Qld and piss whacking the locals is well and truly over.

Senior Member 2YO Big Max will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Ross La Spina
    Merry Christmas to all and a safe and happy new year

Super Moderator Stallion mango will become famous soon enough mango's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dallas Harvey
    Occupation
    Shift Operator
    Horses
    G R We There Yet, Crowea
    Quote Originally Posted by racefair View Post
    Hi Jamie, I think that emotions extend beyond jealousy to dissapointment and frustration that even with the prizemoney increases and more money coming into the game, that most Sydney trainers and owners are still wasting their time when racing against Luke McCarthy.
    He drives most of his horses confidently from any barrier, can death seat and still gets them home.
    With 88 wins and over $850,000 in stakes already this season, he has taken a big amount out of the game.
    Furthermore, he gets horses off good tainers such as Heath (Excel Stride) and Day (Roman Stride) because of his ability to improve anything. Some say that his transformation of horses in such a short space of time is unnatural.
    Why would an owner give their horse to any trainer other than Luke McCarthy? That's a bad question for the livelyhood/business of any other trainer in Harness Racing that wishes to race in Sydney or in Group1 races.
    Both horse's you mention have ability and done a good job for there previous trainer's, Excel stride has not raced for Luke as yet but i would not be suprised if he does improve a little but that could also be because of the way Luke drive's them (American Style) as for Roman Stride it could be that the change of stable was good for him as Luke has a swimming hole and day yards for them to stretch there leg's where that was not available to the horse before.

Super Moderator Stallion mango will become famous soon enough mango's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dallas Harvey
    Occupation
    Shift Operator
    Horses
    G R We There Yet, Crowea
    Hi Mightymo

I would agree with you 100%, they spend top $$$$$ for the good one's and they pick the eye's out of them. I think most of them do there home work before they buy and i know Lance sometime's jumps on a plane and heads to n.z to drive up to 6 horses and then if he like's something he buy's. People should also understand these trainer's don't just take any horse's into there stable they only take the good one's and turn away the one's they don't want. I recently rang one of the trainer's mentioned by Mightymo and asked him to watch a 3yr old filly race in n.z who had a price tag of $70k n.z and the trainer said he would watch the race and go back and look through the form he then also told me if he like's what he see's he will contact the trainer to see if the horse would suit him, the horse performed well below average and i never heard from the trainer so that summed that up.

Member Gelding Itisi will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Mick Tobias
    Can remember when Glen Frost was the go up in Sydney and he would drive all over Vic looking and driving horses to he found the right ones as we all know you gotta do the hard yards . Then success breeds success.

Closed Thread