Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Goodbye Lance

Senior Member 4YO p plater will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    bailey martin
    Quote Originally Posted by bbd View Post
    I'd like to ask one question that I can't figure out the answer to.
    DMSO is so pungent that it can make some people feel sick. My question is, how could someone in and around the horse after the race, have had such a powerful smelling agent close enough to be able to put it on the horse, without someone noticing it?
    Good question but also ask how come (from what I've read) no mention of the sweaty horse smelling of DMSO. I am sure that question must have been asked of all those who came in contact with him, swabbing steward, vet, handlers and even at presentation.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Greg Hando will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Greg Hando
    Small amount's don't smell a great deal maybe that is why .
    Have whoever you want on but don't ever have yourself on

Flashing Red
    Quote Originally Posted by bbd View Post
    I'd like to ask one question that I can't figure out the answer to.
    DMSO is so pungent that it can make some people feel sick. My question is, how could someone in and around the horse after the race, have had such a powerful smelling agent close enough to be able to put it on the horse, without someone noticing it?
    Small amounts don't smell at all. The only time I can really smell it is if a horse is drenched with it. I used it as part of a mixture of a leg tightener, it doesn't smell at all and I apply it with my bare hands, I can't smell/taste it either. Maybe its me, but even with an unopened bottle I can only smell it if I literally get quite close to have a whiff (my first experience with DMSO! lol!)

Banned Weanling The Lout is on a distinguished road
    Real Name
    Harry Truman
    Quote Originally Posted by Flashing Red View Post
    Small amounts don't smell at all. The only time I can really smell it is if a horse is drenched with it. I used it as part of a mixture of a leg tightener, it doesn't smell at all and I apply it with my bare hands, I can't smell/taste it either. Maybe its me, but even with an unopened bottle I can only smell it if I literally get quite close to have a whiff (my first experience with DMSO! lol!)
    Tell me flashing red why would one drench a horse with DMSO??

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lout View Post
    It's only illegal to present a horse to the races with it in its the system.

Flashing Red
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lout View Post
    Breno is right. I'm not talking about illegal raceday drenching at all. Many trainers drench horses with DMSO - like I said, I'm not talking about raceday (that would be suicidal, you could smell the stench from the other side of the track!) but rather theraputically for many reasons, but the main reason would be to clean the horses system out, ie if they had a cold etc. It is also good for cleaning up lungs etc. Obviously if you are using DMSO for these reasons your horse is not even in a fit state to race anyway, so it is a moot point. If someone was silly enough to drench a horse with it on raceday it wouldn't effect the horse's performance anyway (IMHO) so I don't know why they would bother!! Plus the smell would give you away before you unloaded the horse off the truck!!
    Last edited by Flashing Red; 12-23-2011 at 01:25 PM.

Banned Weanling The Lout is on a distinguished road
    Real Name
    Harry Truman
    Thanks Flashing,
    just for interests sake, I wasn't referring to raceday drenching, just drenching with the vile stuff! I have used it many times externally on horses for it's penetrative qualities. It acts similar to a solvent in this situation and I was just curious about treating horses internally with it.

Cheers,

Harry

Junior Member Foal THE SIVER FOX will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    harvey robson
    Quote Originally Posted by Thevoiceofreason View Post
    I know what would be good Dennis if you got more of the facts right in your original post.

Lets firstly deal with Darren Smith great bloke, great trainer, but has possibly the worst record in Australian Thoroughbred racing in relation to positive swabs arising from the misuse of therapeutic substances I think about 8 positive swabs, add to that a previous disqualification for Trenbolone implants back in 1999 and his penalty would be considered on the lighter side by many.

Gai Waterhouse great record in relation to positive swabs, unlike Harness all gallops winners are swabbed in NSW so in her case she has had thousands of swabs over the years with an all but impeccable record. Regardless stewards still fined her for her first offence, rest assured D Smith was also fined for his first offence and it was only about a year after he started training way back in the 1980's, seems pretty consistent to me.

I have no knowledge of the D Wilson case so as is my way, no knowledge, no comment.

In the D Thomas case his mother a registered stable hand was in charge of the horses after the races at Penrith and before Harold Park, it was proven Thomas did not return to the stables in that time. Mother was disqualified for 11 months not fined as you would have us believe. In your version D Thomas got nothing when despite the fact he was not at the stables at the relevant time and could prove the fact he still received a significant fine I think it was $10000.

There are many presidents for this type of penalty in Harness in NSW over many years it was not the first time it was done.

By all means have an opinion and voice it but if you are going to provide facts as part of that opinion at least provide ones that are accurate.

You are tying to compare Pineapples with apples and are ending up with Thorn apples.
    Very interesting reading TVOR seems as though you have a good idea of the D thomas case but not so with D. Wilson case,From what I can remember D. Wilson was also away from the stables during the time that the horse that he was training returned a positive swab , but unlike D Thomas because he was the regisitered trainer D Wilson was suspended. I'm not sure whether D Wilson's Mother was was around at the time to take the rap or It might have been a different panel of stewards either way it does seem to be two similar cases with two different outcomes.

Senior Member 4YO Thevoiceofreason has a spectacular aura about
    Real Name
    Bill Williams
    Occupation
    Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by THE SIVER FOX View Post
    Very interesting reading TVOR seems as though you have a good idea of the D thomas case but not so with D. Wilson case,From what I can remember D. Wilson was also away from the stables during the time that the horse that he was training returned a positive swab , but unlike D Thomas because he was the regisitered trainer D Wilson was suspended. I'm not sure whether D Wilson's Mother was was around at the time to take the rap or It might have been a different panel of stewards either way it does seem to be two similar cases with two different outcomes.

As I said in the original post I have no knowledge of the circumstances surrounding the action taken against Dennis Wilson so I have no opinion.

On face value what you say makes sense but every appeal judge will tell you each case has to be judged on its own facts and circumstances.

Junior Member Foal real life will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    jim skeet
    The reason the trainer is the one responsible for the horse turning up race day substance free is because he is the one collecing the money from the owners every month and the percentages of prize money not the stablehands! (that rule seems common sense to me ash singh)
    lance was only responsible for smoken up and captain joy in n.z. there is no one else to blame if lance doesnt like it then i suggest he go bak and be a stable hand with no responsabilities. otherwise suck it up and lets move on bring on ID12 in perth

+ Reply to Thread