Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Favourite All Time race

Senior Member Colt Phoenix will become famous soon enough Phoenix's Avatar
    Real Name
    Panos Kambas

Favourite All Time race

If you had to narrow it down all the way to one race, which would you say is your favourite of all time.

Mine is Chandon's win in the 1994 Australian Pacing Championship up at Parklands (my fav track). It was a stand start race over the 2609m. Sunny, brilliant day.. Tuesday afternoon on the Gold Coast..

Chandon, trained and driven by the legend Vic Frost, started from the 10m handicap with other tough runners like Ultra Jet (American import), Medowie Prince, Valley Champ and Young Mister Charles. There was also a Kiwi horse Nippon Home.

Don't remember who led because I was only watching Chandon. There were huge expectations on him after switching to the Frost camp. I remember Chandon galloping when the strands were released and there were some other gallopers..

Once Chandon got down pacing, he tacked on and stayed at the tail of the field until around the 800m or so.. when Frost pulled Chandon out at least 4 or 5 wide and unleashed a blistering sprint and went right past the entire field and was well clear in the straight, and got a bit tired but was too far in front of the chasing local Mighty Mostest and the Victorian Twighlight Warrior.

Great race..

Four days later Chandon backed up at Albion Park to win the QPC and did it in similar style... waiting till the 800m and Frost pulled him out very wide again and just caned the field and won again, this time beating Ultra Jet and Mighty Mostest.

Senior Member Colt Phoenix will become famous soon enough Phoenix's Avatar
    Real Name
    Panos Kambas
    The build up to that year's Miracle Mile was immense.. Chandon got an early invite and was an early favourite to take out the famous sprint.

I remember lying on my bed and tuning in to 2KY on the Monday night of Miracle Mile week and caught Greg Radley in the middle of a conversation and was talking about a horse being scratched from the Miracle Mile. I prayed it wasn't Chandon but my hopes were quickly dashed when Chandon's name was mentioned. I was devastated and even more so when Radley said that Chandon would never race again because of an injury to one of his legs.

aussiebreno
    Blackie 4th Inter. Theres been so, so many races just as great but being at the track made it that bit extra special for me.

Member Filly peacheymagic will become famous soon enough peacheymagic's Avatar
    Real Name
    Unknown
    Maybe not my favourite race but probably the best performance I have seen on the big stage was Flashing Red's 2007 NZ cup win. The horse had basically been written off as he hadn't won any lead up races, his last win was the Auckland Cup back in March, he was 10 years old and was considered to be past his best consequently he was paying $23 on the tote.

He was running at the back of the pack for the majority of the race and then with about 1200 to go went 3 wide and remained there for the rest of the race, with 400m to go he was past by Monkey King and Tribute, at this stage im sure even his biggest fan didn't think he could win. The monkey had a great trip and put half a length on flashing red yet as the winning post got closer flashing red clawed his way back and ended up winning by a neck.

I remember being on track and couldn't believe my eyes and then heard the time 357.8 and Flashing Red had spent the majority of the last lap 3 wide, very rarely do horses win when doing this much work and never in a NZ cup should a horse be able to win after that sort of run, yet Flashing Red had done it as a 10yo and off 15m. What a phenomenal training effort, and to consider what Monkey King has gone on to do with the run he had for Flashing Red to be able to muster enough strength to surge past him really makes him a true NZ cup champion.

Member Filly peacheymagic will become famous soon enough peacheymagic's Avatar
    Real Name
    Unknown
    Here is a replay of the race if anyone wants to witness a great NZ cup performance http://racevideo.hrnz.co.nz/Videos/2...03210-0256.wmv

Flashing Red
    Quote Originally Posted by peacheymagic View Post
    Maybe not my favourite race but probably the best performance I have seen on the big stage was Flashing Red's 2007 NZ cup win. The horse had basically been written off as he hadn't won any lead up races, his last win was the Auckland Cup back in March, he was 10 years old and was considered to be past his best consequently he was paying $23 on the tote.

He was running at the back of the pack for the majority of the race and then with about 1200 to go went 3 wide and remained there for the rest of the race, with 400m to go he was past by Monkey King and Tribute, at this stage im sure even his biggest fan didn't think he could win. The monkey had a great trip and put half a length on flashing red yet as the winning post got closer flashing red clawed his way back and ended up winning by a neck.

I remember being on track and couldn't believe my eyes and then heard the time 357.8 and Flashing Red had spent the majority of the last lap 3 wide, very rarely do horses win when doing this much work and never in a NZ cup should a horse be able to win after that sort of run, yet Flashing Red had done it as a 10yo and off 15m. What a phenomenal training effort, and to consider what Monkey King has gone on to do with the run he had for Flashing Red to be able to muster enough strength to surge past him really makes him a true NZ cup champion.
    Couldn't have said it better myself and it is my favourite race of all time and really it should be one of the greatest runs of all time, out of any race and any where. The old buggar even pricked his ears after the finish line, like he could have went another lap.

I was there at Blackie's 4th inter win, that was pretty special too. That was my first "live" inter, and what a one to be my first!

Member Yearling craig will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    craig fritz
    I would have to say when Golden Reign won the Inters in NZ....to come from last and to sustain the sprint the way he did, will always stick in my mind....also when Be Good Johnnie won his first Mircle Mile....just love the horse and considering all the hoof problems he has had so he is all heart...

Flashing Red
    I would love to see a replay of Mount Eden's Miracle Mile - he was the horse that lost all that ground at the start and still won, right? Have yet to find it on the internet.

Saw Christian Cullen's Miracle Mile win the other day on Sky. I hadn't seen it before - boy was he impressive!

Super Moderator Colt Neil will become famous soon enough Neil's Avatar
    Real Name
    Neil Bennett
    Occupation
    Engineer
    Inky Lord's 1989 NZ Cup for me - getting knocked over and flashing down the outside to win as a 4yo

Banned 4YO justdoit will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    (BANNED) (BANNED)
    Occupation
    (BANNED)
    Super Impose winning the Cox Plate as an 8 year old, defeating Lets Elope.

+ Reply to Thread