Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Favourite All Time race

Senior Member 2YO Big Max will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Ross La Spina
    Blacks a fake,Be Good Johnny and Flashing Red in the winter cup at AP a few years ago.Sustained power pretty much from the word go and on top of that one of the best race calls you'll ever hear by Mr David Fowler.
    Ps Happy 50th David
    Last edited by Big Max; 11-09-2013 at 11:00 PM. Reason: spelling

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Mighty Atom will become famous soon enough Mighty Atom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rod Reeves
    Occupation
    retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard prior View Post
    Listened to Mount Edens Miracle Mile as a real young fella and watched the replay a lot of times over the years, He must have lost at least 50 or 60 metres easy at the start of the race, Unbelievable run. The replay is available on You Tube Flashing, Punch in Mount Eden Miracle Mile. This performance has become imprinted in my memory forever.
    Hi Richard, Absolutely mind boggling to think that a horse could give a quality field a huge start and a beating, it just couldn't be achieved today over a mile. Brilliant horse Mount Eden but at times very frustrating mixing his gait at the start. My favourite race of all time was the 1980 AG Hunter Cup win by Pure Steel ( his third ). I think the race caller was Brian Markovic and he had the adrenaline pumping from start to finish - brilliant call with quips like Paleface Adios leads at the bell with the ''tungsten terror'' moving up alongside, and, they're going hellishly hard down the back straight. Another: Koala King is in a half - nelson grip but he can't get out and finally around the turn, Pure Steel goes to Paleface but the Koalas after him, he's flying, Pure Steel is hanging on ,he's pulling out everything,Koala King can't get to him and Pure Steel wins his third Hunter Cup. Breathtaking. Shame the race is not on you tube but I taped the race and still have it stored away somewhere.
    Last edited by Mighty Atom; 11-13-2013 at 02:40 PM. Reason: spelling

Member Filly thepacingman will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Stephen Walsh
    Mount Eden's miracle mile. For me, head and shoulders above anything else. Like the race finish, Mount Eden first daylight second.

Also a mention for Noodlum in the Qld Derby. Great run that night. Again lost a lot of ground early and still won. As an aside, interesting name being former NZ PM spelt backwards.

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    Funny you mention the Qld Derby Stephen, my uncle the late Jack Halverson trained and drove the second placegetter " Mullion Cove" and had a photo of the finish on his loungeroom wall, pretty proud of his horse getting beaten only a neck by the superstar that "Noodlum" was. When showing off his photo he always liked to say " but I won't mention tha Noodlum lost 150 metres at the start"

Cheers Dan.

PS I also reckon Mount Edens Miracle Mile was the most freakish performance as well, unforunate that the world did not get to see the best of him, pure ability wise he was the best of his time in the world IMO.

Senior Member 4YO brent_L will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Brent Lambert
    HAIL THE KING. Knight Pistol (60m) beating Noopy Kiosk (10m) in track record time in mid 97. And if I remember correctly, the odds were pretty juicy as well, what with the second horse being odds on.

It was also pretty amazing hearing the replay on sky of Maoris Idol winning his first race start.

Super Moderator Stallion Richard prior will become famous soon enough Richard prior's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    Knight Pistol was a great horse in an era that included Pride of Petite, Buster Hanover and Wagon Apollo, All great trotters. I have the race you were talking about on a DVD and Knight Pistol really give it to the new kid on the block, Noopy Kiosk. Maori's Idol was unbelievable.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Greg Hando will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Greg Hando
    For mine it was Christian Cullen in the MM.Treated the field with contempt and completely demoralised the field.
    Have whoever you want on but don't ever have yourself on

+ Reply to Thread