Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sushi smashed them & Restrepo back on song

Member Gelding Village Kid will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Craig Kavanagh
    Occupation
    Finance
    Quote Originally Posted by triplev123 View Post
    The most impressive horse I've seen since Christian Cullen at his best.
    Wow thats a huge call VVV, theres been some fair horses since the great Kiwi.

This is in no way meant to denegreate the horse in any way, and he can't do any more than he's done to date, but like all champion juvenile performers the test will come when he faces open Grand Circuit company. We've had some wonderful youngsters that haven't gone it with it as older horses, for a whole variety of reasons but it would be great to see this horse make the jump to open grade.

Either way the battles with Excel Stride in the 4 Yr Old features this season should make for epic viewing, if Excel Stride draws to land in front of Sushi Sushi we could have a different result. Will be a relief to see the actual racing generate some headlines for the sport, instead of al; this negaive publicity. I'm a huge fan of the sport but there doesn't seem to be too many left...

Cheers

triplev123
    Yeh, it is a big call but I really do think he'll go on. We saw the best of his dam, Sabilize, at 4yrs & beyond & his sire Art Major was arguably also at his best at 4yrs, won 8 of 11 incl. the US Pacing Ch'ship, Open Breeders Crown and the Canadian Pacing Derby. Had he not been retired to stud he would almost certainly have raced on successfully from there at 5yrs+...so I think there's also some natural improvement in Sushi. We'll see soon enough I guess. If they take it relatively easy with him in his 4yo career & let him get used to racing those older horses and then line him to go at them from the jump at 5yrs & beyond then I think the Sky's the limit. Excel Stride's the same. Out of some bad draws he was very game in defeat on a number of occasions last season. Sushi's brilliant but I'm not prepared to count out Emilio's horse either. Good stuff huh? Wonderful horses.

+ Reply to Thread