Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Yearling Sale's

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    Brenno,

I don't a have report for you or anything like that, but I guarantee you if you go and do the research you will see I am proven correct. It is even more prevalent in the thoroughbreds, first 4 foals of a mare is where you get the best result.

I'll see if I can find something on the net to share...

Mitch.
    I know many think that (and probably for good reason) but I thought I was finally going to get some hard evidence...

Super Moderator Stallion mango will become famous soon enough mango's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dallas Harvey
    Occupation
    Shift Operator
    Horses
    G R We There Yet, Crowea
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    Looks nice enough in the photo, but the mare is a 100 yrs old and statistically the chances of getting a good one out of an old mare is significantly reduced. If your buying for her pedigree then that's a different story I guess.

I thought the Christian Cullen - Muscle Beach Colt was the pick of the boys and Bettors Delight - Innocent Eyes filly the pick of the girls from the photo's on the web.
    Hi Mitch
    The Innocent Eye's filly wasn't real big but a well put together filly and ticked all the boxes and who ever purchased her should have some fun.

Junior Member Weanling mo cushla will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    stuart watt
    Occupation
    Breeder
    After Sunday there will be no breeders left. What a disaster !

Senior Member 3YO Mitch will become famous soon enough Mitch's Avatar
    Real Name
    Mitch Lenaghan
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiebreno View Post
    I know many think that (and probably for good reason) but I thought I was finally going to get some hard evidence...
    Brenno,

May I suggest you look up the dam of any good horse currently racing and have a look at where her best performed son or daughter was produced. If the majority are not in the first 4 foals produced I'll happily admit I was wrong. Lombo Pocket Watch was the 6th or 7th foal outside of that the majority of top performed horses currently racing will prove me correct.

An even simpler exercise may be to go through a catalogue and do the same exercise.

Hope this provides you with the hard evidence you are looking for.

Mitch.

aussiebreno
    I've selected one of the oldest mares I know.
    http://www.harness.org.au/ausbreed/r...orse_id=345519
    Started off O.K but the best two, Her Sparky Self and Robric Jonboy, were when she was an older mare. Even now when she is crazy old the last couple have been every bit as good as the first few if not better.

http://www.harness.org.au/ausbreed/r...orse_id=333644

HRNZ won't link correctly but Scandalman is the 5th foal, showing you don't have to be early.
    Waldenburg is the 6th foal, the best in his family.

The first Aussie home in the Hunter Cup, Heza Buzzin was a late one. So was his brother Sting Lika Bee. Hi Ho Silverheels was 6th, the first 5 done nothing at all.

Your Pocket Watch example got me onto Tailamade Lombo, another later foal. Espeshilimade Lombo was no slouch as then last of many foals from Butterfly Trunkey.

That wasn't all that hard, out of those 6 broodmares I mentioned ^^^ I looked at 11 all up (The others being the mares of Choise Acheiver, Idea Scott, Safe and Sound, Smoken Up and Decorated Jasper) .
    I'm not saying older mares are better. But I'm saying don't write them off.
    That wasn't even my main point of posting, my main point of posting was don't say you have statistics when you got nothing. Very misleading.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year mightymo will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Harvey Kaplan
    Horses
    Bling It On, Nike Franco, Cruz Bromac
    I've selected one of the oldest mares I know.
    http://www.harness.org.au/ausbreed/r...orse_id=345519
    Started off O.K but the best two, Her Sparky Self and Robric Jonboy, were when she was an older mare. Even now when she is crazy old the last couple have been every bit as good as the first few if not better.

http://www.harness.org.au/ausbreed/r...orse_id=333644

HRNZ won't link correctly but Scandalman is the 5th foal, showing you don't have to be early.
    Waldenburg is the 6th foal, the best in his family.

The first Aussie home in the Hunter Cup, Heza Buzzin was a late one. So was his brother Sting Lika Bee. Hi Ho Silverheels was 6th, the first 5 done nothing at all.

Your Pocket Watch example got me onto Tailamade Lombo, another later foal. Espeshilimade Lombo was no slouch as then last of many foals from Butterfly Trunkey.

That wasn't all that hard, out of those 6 broodmares I mentioned ^^^ I looked at 11 all up (The others being the mares of Choise Acheiver, Idea Scott, Safe and Sound, Smoken Up and Decorated Jasper) .
    I'm not saying older mares are better. But I'm saying don't write them off.
    That wasn't even my main point of posting, my main point of posting was don't say you have statistics when you got nothing. Very misleading.
    A friend of mine has always told me that statistically the best foal is the 3rd or 4th foal. However, that doesnt mean the mare cant throw other good foals.

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by mightymo View Post
    A friend of mine has always told me that statistically the best foal is the 3rd or 4th foal. However, that doesnt mean the mare cant throw other good foals.
    Yeah, so many people are of that or similar opinion (and probably for good reason - it probably isn't some wives tale)...but still you can't sprout stats and put something as fact when its mere opinion from past experience. A lot of people do it and I'm not having a go at Mitch - his posting eg Vic Derby heats thread has been good to read.
    But if there are stats out there somewhere would love to see.

Real Name
    Harvey Kaplan
    Horses
    Yeah, so many people are of that or similar opinion (and probably for good reason - it probably isn't some wives tale)...but still you can't sprout stats and put something as fact when its mere opinion from past experience. A lot of people do it and I'm not having a go at Mitch - his posting eg Vic Derby heats thread has been good to read.
    But if there are stats out there somewhere would love to see.
    I just looked up an excellent broodmare in Nickel Castle.

She has now had 14 live foals. To date, the 10 th foal was the best, narrowly ahead of 5th and then 12th

Real Name
    Harvey Kaplan
    Horses

She has now had 14 live foals. To date, the 10 th foal was the best, narrowly ahead of 5th and then 12th
    Lauricks Pride had 20 foals. Best of them were the 14th and 15th foals

Banned Colt peteboss4 will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    peter allen
    Occupation
    retired
    Horses
    nothing good enough to mention, but Popu

Just looked her up myself, great mare.

As im retired & have time I also looked up some intresting stuff (well to me it is)
    I looked up about a dozen millionaires & where they are.

Blakes a Fake 4th foal - his mum 6th foal
    Monkey King 8th foal - his mum 13th foal
    Smoken Up 1st foal - his mum 10th foal
    Changeover 5th .......his mum 8th
    Shakamaker 4th........his mum 4th
    Our Sir Vancelot 4th.......his mum 8th
    Village Kid 4th..........mum 1st
    Westburn Grant 3rd......mum 5th
    Elsu 7th foal............mum 12th
    Flashing Red 5th.......mum 3rd
    Holmes D G 7th......his mum 10th

And other very good horses...