Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Raglan - positive swabs

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year David Summers will become famous soon enough David Summers's Avatar
    Real Name
    David Summers

Raglan - positive swabs

Just heard a brief report from Andrew Bensley on Sky 2 that the Hong Kong Jockey Club has just reported that Raglan had been tested positive to the banned substance arsenic and has been stood down by HRNSW until further notice , till enquiries are concluded.

Apparently were found in samples taken from Raglan in several different races. Racing WA has apparently confirmed all this from B Samples taken.

That's all I know.

triplev123

Question Everything old is new again?

Arsenic? Geeze. Old Tommy Woodcock's been gone for years so they can't blame him.
    Seriously though, that's so old school. Makes you wonder where it comes from. Maybe some people are feeding Roxarsone or something like that? It's an arsenic compound that's fed...or at least it used to be fed....to young shed grown meat chickens in order to maximise their feed conversion. Either that...or the horse has been having a regular whack at some chook feed Strange.

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year David Summers will become famous soon enough David Summers's Avatar
    Real Name
    David Summers
    Jamie, to your knowledge , how is arsenic supposed to affect a horse? Is it a "go fast" or a "go slow."?

Senior Member 3YO barney will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    brian campbell
    There was a galloper at start of spring carnival that tested positive to arsenic.Nothing heard since as they cant find another lab to do a test so i was told.

Member Gelding Itisi will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Mick Tobias
    Quote Originally Posted by barney View Post
    There was a galloper at start of spring carnival that tested positive to arsenic.Nothing heard since as they cant find another lab to do a test so i was told.
    I think you will find it part of the make up of ITPP.

Banned Yearling Trotter is on a distinguished road
    Real Name
    Brendan Jones
    Jurocel is a form of arsenic. Allot of olden day trainers gave small doses too horses when worming. Cleans and purifies blood. Unsure if jurocel swabs tho???

aussiebreno
    I think it was on this forum...somebody tried to peg a positive swab from the miracle mile of an unplaced runner onto McCarthy? Possibly this is it only McCarthy isn't to blame...just McCarthy paranoia.

triplev123
    Quote Originally Posted by David Summers View Post
    Jamie, to your knowledge , how is arsenic supposed to affect a horse? Is it a "go fast" or a "go slow."?

[VVV] In it's raw form and when given in the right amounts it's actually a cardiac stimulant.
    I think it's achieved with small amounts (less than would kill the horse) of the inorganic form. There are organic forms of arsenic too & they can be extremely beneficial, in particular there's sodium arsanilate, a very good tonic to give to horses as the weather warms up as it helps them shed their winter coat etc. Nature Vet make a an injectible called Jurocyl which is contains this and is designed for that exact purpose. It's very good.
    I don't know whether or not the chemists can distinguish between the organic and inorganic forms of arsenic in whatever the test is that they're using...I assume that they can?

triplev123
    Quote Originally Posted by Itisi View Post
    I think you will find it part of the make up of ITPP.
    [VVV] G'day Mick. That was a pretty fair old furphy put about during the Spring Carnival by a Melbourne Journo who, for mine, didn't do her homework. I note she is yet to print a correction/retraction. Perhaps she thinks people have forgotten ?
    I've had a look at the chemical structure of ITPP and I can't see where there is any arsenic contained in it's original form...and nor can I see how, once ITPP was administered, it could possibly produce arsenic as a metabolite.
    It is true that Phosphates and Arsenates are very similar structure wise & they're close by each other on the Periodic Table. If they were picking up some kind of phosphates masquerading as arsenates in their test, that would make some sort of sense but each time they've come out and tagged it as the presence of arsenic which, so far and at least for me, doesn't make any sense if it's meant to indicate the presence of ITPP. Maybe there's more to it than meets the eye? Maybe arsenic is given in conjunction with ITPP? Buggered if I know.

Real Name
    David Summers
    More details about the Raglan positive swabs here: http://www.harnesslink.com/www/Article.cgi?ID=95041
    Last edited by David Summers; 01-11-2012 at 09:21 PM.

+ Reply to Thread