Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Raglan - positive swabs

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year David Summers will become famous soon enough David Summers's Avatar
    Real Name
    David Summers
    Yet another press release in the past few minutes http://www.harnesslink.com/www/Article.cgi?ID=95075

Banned Yearling zipzap will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Larry Watson
    Occupation
    Resting
    Horses
    fast ones
    Bill Muscat got 4 months for having Phenylbutazone and Oxyphenbutazone in Mystic Sunset at Menangle on 29 November 2011 what a surprise when it won hard held

triplev123
    Geeze Zipzap. That comment indicates that there's more depth to be had in a tea spoon than there is in your understanding of the pharmacology of Phenylbutazone.
    To suggest that the horse won hard held as a result of trace amounts of a NSAID in it's system, one that doesn't work at all beyond 12hrs post administration but nevertheless, under the present system/testing regime can and does produce trainer answerable positives out beyond 132hrs post administration...is just plain wrong.
    Last edited by triplev123; 01-13-2012 at 09:15 PM.

Senior Member 3YO barney will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    brian campbell
    Quote Originally Posted by triplev123 View Post
    Geeze Zipzap. That comment indicates that there's more depth to be had in a tea spoon than there is in your understanding of the pharmacology of Phenylbutazone.
    To suggest that the horse won hard held as a result of trace amounts of a NSAID in it's system, one that doesn't work at all beyond 12hrs post administration but nevertheless, under the present system/testing regime can and does produce trainer answerable positives out beyond 132hrs post administration...is just plain wrong.
    So you think or are suggesting made no difference then why are they banned.It seems to me that you think that open slather is the go .The people i talk to and respect just want a level playing field with all horses winning on ability not with help from drugs .

triplev123
    Christ. Here we go again.
    Brian, I AM NOT suggesting open slather. Never have, never will.
    What I AM suggesting however is that we put in place thresholds for sustances such as Bute... ala TCO2's etc. ....in order to prevent the honest Trainers being unfairly charged and suspended/fined as a result of trace amounts of non pharmacologically active therapeutic substances being detected in a swab subject to an overtly sensitive test that has a black and white...yes it is present or no it is not present...outcome.

Although, as always, a quantifying of the level detected has once again been conveniently overlooked, I would be prepared to bet both my left & right cajones that the amount in the abovementioned swab was below that at which it would be having any anti-inflamatory effect on the horse whatsoever.
    Have you ever used it to take away discomfort from a horse...with a sore foot for example.
    The stuff craps itself and stops working after 12hrs. From 24- 48 -96-132 hrs out and no way known that it's working BUT if that horse happens to be a racehorse then currently a Trainer can still score a positive for it.
    Do you think that's fair? I don't.
    Worse still is that the testing protocol is there to enable the time of administration to be easily pinpointed. In the US they can tell the difference between Bute at 24 and 48 and 96 hrs post administration. Why can't we do so here?

Senior Member 3YO barney will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    brian campbell
    All i know if it tested positive the trainer is guilty of using a prohibited drug and he got suspended for 4 months.Yet you are saying unfair they all know the rule if they race a horse with it in its system they will test positive and be suspended.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Greg Hando will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Greg Hando
    I see Real Life has just been scratched from the Cup cut his back leg in a float mishap.
    Have whoever you want on but don't ever have yourself on

Real Name
    Larry Watson
    Occupation
    Resting
    Horses
    fast ones
    Quote Originally Posted by barney View Post
    So you think or are suggesting made no difference then why are they banned.It seems to me that you think that open slather is the go .The people i talk to and respect just want a level playing field with all horses winning on ability not with help from drugs .
    I dont know what line of work VVV is in but he seems to knock people down with any post i have noticed that is about a banned drug.

triplev123
    As far as Harness Racing is concerned my 'line of work' is one of trying to introduce a little common sense and pragmatism to the debate...instead of the usual reactionary, ill-informed and in most cases just plane wrong statements and accusations that have been levelled far too many times on this and other Forums whenever this particular subject comes up. Look deep within yourself for I've no doubt that you too are capable of rational thought.

Real Name
    Larry Watson
    Occupation
    Resting
    Horses
    fast ones
    Its banned drug that helps a horse with soreness you dont have a case full stop

+ Reply to Thread