Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Raglan - positive swabs

triplev123
    The thing that spins my head is this.
    ITPP's chemical formula is.......C6 H12 O21 P6
    Arsenic's chemical formula is...H3 As O4
    Where does the later come out of the former?

Banned Gelding murray green will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    murray green
    30 years ago When buying thoroughbreds off the track you were always checking horses for a rough spot on a horses neck where the hair was permanently turned back . That horse was surely injected with arsenic . It is a drug that makes a horse feel great and , at that time , was used extensively .

Banned Yearling candykisses will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    cassie dodds
    Occupation
    stablehand
    Quote Originally Posted by Trotter View Post
    Jurocel is a form of arsenic. Allot of olden day trainers gave small doses too horses when worming. Cleans and purifies blood. Unsure if jurocel swabs tho???
    Hi Trotter
    I think you'll find Jurocel replaced a product called Robycel which contained raw arsenic and would swab ,I maybe wrong but I believe jurocel is a synthetic arsenic .

My Dad ( sorry Aussiebrenno ) used to tell me a story about Phar Lap's personal Vet ,I think his name was Nelson , who after arriving home from America (after Phar Lap's death ) set up a practice in a small country town , and soon become popular amongst horse and greyhound trainers ,who would regularly get a liquid Tonic that they had to give a certain amount of drops to give their runners a lift. A young bloke with a very good greyhound which was in a Cup race on the Sat night went to see Nelson to see if his tonic would help as the dog was out of form
    Nelson told the young bloke to give the dog 3 drops a night for 3 nights and 5 drops the night before the race .
    Even though the young bloke did not punt the dog was sensationally backed and won with a leg in the air
    The next morning when the young bloke went to walk the dog it was dead.

Dad shattered my image of Phar Lap when he told me that Arsenic enlarges the heart ( Phar Lap had a abnormal large heart)and that arsenic being a compound can not be absorbed into the body ,it usually finds it's way to the bottom of the body ,in a horse this would be it's hoofs (Phar Lap had cronic problem with his hoof's cracking and weeping ) So it was no big surprise that in recent test on Phar Lap's Hide they found high traces of Arsenic

He went on to tell me of a horse they had from a foal who was the most docile animal you ever saw , after a month long course of Robycel it suddenly turned into a nasty bastard that would lunge at you and would kick and bite.( no wonder they banned the stuff)

Cassie
    Last edited by candykisses; 01-11-2012 at 10:25 PM.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Mighty Atom will become famous soon enough Mighty Atom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rod Reeves
    Occupation
    retired
    Hi candykisses, You are right; the product was actually called Robacyl and was made by Bayer. Then Juracyl came on the market but definitely not as good as Robacyl.
    Last edited by Mighty Atom; 01-11-2012 at 10:28 PM. Reason: added comment

Banned Yearling candykisses will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    cassie dodds
    Occupation
    stablehand
    Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Atom View Post
    Hi candykisses, You are right; the product was actually called Robacyl and was made by Bayer.
    Thank you Rod
    Have you had any experience with the stuff ( I note you are retired like my Dad)

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Greg Hando will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Greg Hando
    We leased a horse to a vet in Sydney he won 2 races with him in quick succession after a while and after he came home for a spell approx 4 month's all his hair hair fell out mane,tail everything and looked like one of those bald cats,Grandad's comment was "Overdone the Arsenic by the look of it" apparently year's ago it was put in the horse's feed in small amount's as a pick me up after and before hard run's.
    Have whoever you want on but don't ever have yourself on

Senior Member 4YO Don Corleone has a spectacular aura about Don Corleone's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ray Fidow
    Occupation
    Sec Cons
    Hey Greg,
    The very first horse I went to lease was like that. I went to the old trainers barn and walked the horse and was checking it over and very excited about getting it. Luckily I took my old boss who said to me, "leave it here son, it been "nikked". I asked what that was and he said it's been given Arsenic. He then showed me how to look for signs. The horse was evenutally leased and won first up and before long it too had its mane, tail and forelock falling out.
    It was a lesson well learnt by me.

Banned Weanling Arnie will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Arnold Schwarz
    Why would they stand the horse down from racing? I don't know who the owners are but surely this has to be unfair to them. Any substance that was found in it's system has probably passed and it's not like the horse dosed himself up.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Mighty Atom will become famous soon enough Mighty Atom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rod Reeves
    Occupation
    retired
    Quote Originally Posted by candykisses View Post
    Thank you Rod
    Have you had any experience with the stuff ( I note you are retired like my Dad)
    Hi Cassie, yes it was a great tonic(got horses on their food) and also a great coat conditioner;brought their coats up beautiful. It was commonly used back in the 70's & 80's. There were some however that were feeding raw arsenic compounds and as previous posts have said the horses coat turned ginger shade and tufts of hair fell out and as I think arsenic poisoning is irreversible, sadly, there was no future for these horses.

Senior Member 3YO barney will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    brian campbell
    Noticed it is still in the field and someone on insiderail said was up to Wa stewards and they were going to let it run.

If they do it is just another nail in the coffin of harness racing.The horse didnt give itself the arsenic someone did and to let it race with a positive swab is telling the cheaters keep doing it as we wont act on positives either.

+ Reply to Thread