Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Times and margins!!!

Senior Member Horse Of The Year broncobrad has a spectacular aura about
    Real Name
    Brad Leach

Lightbulb Times and margins!!!

TIMES

At the Parkes meeting held on 11/1/12, both A Turnbull (Hes Magic Red) and A Day(Treuative) were charged under Rule 162 for failing to adhere to minimum time standards after both of them posted 66 sec halves in consecutive races and were pinged with $100 fines. Ouch! I am sure that will deter them from committing that crime again as both of their charges collected first prizemoney for their indiscretions. It is either a stupid rule or a stupid deterrant. I think it is a stupid rule, when all the girls are doing is protecting and giving their horses every possible, whilst their opponents are the guilty ones by not showing any initiative to put any steam into the race.

MARGINS

At the same meeting both E McDermott (Hares Crossing) and J Winnell (Bohemian Art) were both charged under Rule 163 after both of them crossed to the lead on the first corner without insufficient room and duly caused interference to their fellow drivers.
    Winnell got 21 days, whilst McDermott had a shocker of a drive causing further and much more severe carnage later in the race and ended up with 28 days (Hares Crossing does seem to be a difficult horse to handle). All I want to point out here is that both of these drivers would be well served in finding that interview with that old champ Kevin Newman that had been uploaded onto the Harnesslink site. Kevin said "Its a CARDINAL SIN to take out another horses front legs ... and there is no excuse for that. I hope the stewards concerned pressed that home because a couple of weeks on the sideline wont. Not until it happens to them, and they have to spend 6 months on the sidelines in an orthopedic ward/rehab unit and they have to reassess their own futures because of injury that could have been avoided because of rash and selfish driving tactics. Come on you young fellas, think about what you are doing out there.

Super Moderator Stallion mango will become famous soon enough mango's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dallas Harvey
    Occupation
    Shift Operator
    Horses
    G R We There Yet, Crowea
    Hi Brad

I think the rule should be thrown out the window (slow half) as both driver's gave there horses every chance to win the race and that's exactly what happened. Isn't there a rule stating that you must give your horse every opportunity during a race if so doesn't one rule contradict the other.

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by mango View Post
    Hi Brad

I think the rule should be thrown out the window (slow half) as both driver's gave there horses every chance to win the race and that's exactly what happened. Isn't there a rule stating that you must give your horse every opportunity during a race if so doesn't one rule contradict the other.
    Coudn't agree more with your sentiments Dallas,IMO it borders on lunacy that ONE driver in the race is responsible for the tempo.
    On top of that it doesn't take into account the leader has spent more petrol than anything else early in the race to OBTAIN the lead, and then he/she is expected to "put it on" for his competitors benefit???.

IMO this is just one of the ridiculous rules/policy changes we've ( drivers,trainers and owners) had thrust upon us by a list of administrators pandering to punters and commercial breeders. Both groups IMO, have had more than their fair share of the ball for too long.

Will somebody please think about the owners, these long suffering people endure the greatest financial burden in this game but seem to get forgotten along the way...

Cheers,
    Dan

+ Reply to Thread