Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Perfect Luke

Senior Member Horse Of The Year broncobrad has a spectacular aura about
    Real Name
    Brad Leach

Perfect Luke

It's not often you see perfection but you have to look no further than Race 3 at Menangle tonight to appreciate it. Luke fires up Garnet River out of the 6 gate to lead into the first corner and when his biggest dangers begin to emerge down the back he is already aware they are coming and puts enough pressure into the van to ensure he is not headed. From there he lets the travel within its comfort zone before holding all at bay. Heres a couple of facts. His horses are always brilliant off the gate and on the whole well mannered enough to be put in a forward position.

And this is not rocket science...he wins his races in the first or second quarters, not the last half. He makes his own luck by driving positively. Good luck to him.

Nice win by Almost El Eagle in the colts final. Dominant.

Senior Member 2YO Harold Parker is an unknown quantity at this point
    Real Name
    Robert Parker
    I was on Our Torias Secret tonight. She was incredible overs. When Lilac Stride moved up I had a horrible feeling that she was going to be gifted the lead. Thankfully Hancock held up and it was times and margins after that.

Senior Member 2YO Harold Parker is an unknown quantity at this point
    Real Name
    Robert Parker
    Other drivers could help themselves a little too by making him work that little more when they're gifting the lead away. A perfect example tonight was in the fourth.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year broncobrad has a spectacular aura about
    Real Name
    Brad Leach
    Exactly. In the fourth he is on a 1/3 favourite and once again is gifted the lead with sensible driving, before going on to record a 32.9 1st qtr thru to a 27 something final qtr to just scramble home. The horse wins because Luke gave it every possible, while his rivals accepted what Luke was doing by not putting any pressure on him earlier. It seems like they are driving with a small track mentality while Luke shows them time and again that we are at Menangle now kids.

Senior Member 4YO Don Corleone has a spectacular aura about Don Corleone's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ray Fidow
    Occupation
    Sec Cons
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold Parker View Post
    I was on Our Torias Secret tonight. She was incredible overs. When Lilac Stride moved up I had a horrible feeling that she was going to be gifted the lead. Thankfully Hancock held up and it was times and margins after that.
    Right on there Harold - she was the bet of the night

Banned Colt Old Frank will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Nathan Butler
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post

Right on there Harold - she was the bet of the night

Couldn't agree more with the both of you and yes, the odds were delicious!

Another great weekend for the McCarthy team overall. Disappointing about Mr Feelgood's performance on face value but then I see they reported he carried a flat tire, plus it apparently was off the rim for the last two (2) laps. Was never a hope if that be the case.

Lettucereason was a huge performance at Goulburn. What the hell was Frank O'Sullivan thinking with his drive in the same race though, idiot!

Senior Member 2YO Big Max will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Ross La Spina
    How MANY times does he do it........dear oh dear!

Junior Member Weanling Drivemecrazy will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Tazmin Hellior
    Occupation
    business
    I have breed and broken in my own on occasion. and mine have not always been the fastest .. but I tell you, they can win for others purely on manners at times. Dont underestimate a well trained animal, that is fully fit. A horse that will move in that split second will save a second.

One that will relax, one that will go forward, one that will keep trying. all these things will make a difference.

I remember reading an article many years ago, about 2 x T/Breds Tullock and his full brother (cant remember name) they say they had the same speed, but if you had them at a tea party, tullock, would come in serve the cakes and pour the tea - the brother would storm in knock it all over and stand there wondering what happened ..

It takes a lot to be a good trainer, and it helps to have horses, that want to help you.

you dont often hear of a person saying that there champion horse wont go forward, wont load in the float, you cant drive it, and its as mad as a cut snake..

Banned Colt Old Frank will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Nathan Butler
    Quote Originally Posted by Drivemecrazy View Post

I have breed and broken in my own on occasion. and mine have not always been the fastest .. but I tell you, they can win for others purely on manners at times. Dont underestimate a well trained animal, that is fully fit. A horse that will move in that split second will save a second.

One that will relax, one that will go forward, one that will keep trying. all these things will make a difference.

I remember reading an article many years ago, about 2 x T/Breds Tullock and his full brother (cant remember name) they say they had the same speed, but if you had them at a tea party, tullock, would come in serve the cakes and pour the tea - the brother would storm in knock it all over and stand there wondering what happened ..

It takes a lot to be a good trainer, and it helps to have horses, that want to help you.

you dont often hear of a person saying that there champion horse wont go forward, wont load in the float, you cant drive it, and its as mad as a cut snake..
    That's 'Tulloch', not 'Tullock'.

Only the best TJ Smith said he ever put a bridle on.

Also, I don't know what article you read, but if you ever read TJ's book 'The Midas Man' they say Tulloch hated everyone, bar TJ who stood up to him and 'broke' him to his way of thinking and training. TJ wasn't adverse lock and old stockman to produce a stockwhip if he had too, to pull a horse into line.

Junior Member Weanling Drivemecrazy will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Tazmin Hellior
    Occupation
    business
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Frank View Post
    That's 'Tulloch', not 'Tullock'.

Only the best TJ Smith said he ever put a bridle on.

Also, I don't know what article you read, but if you ever read TJ's book 'The Midas Man' they say Tulloch hated everyone, bar TJ who stood up to him and 'broke' him to his way of thinking and training. TJ wasn't adverse lock and old stockman to produce a stockwhip if he had too, to pull a horse into line.
    Crap - Sorry Nathan, you are totally correct. I was thinking Todman and Noholme Dont worry about me! (I will have to read Midas man -- I was not aware TJ was that hands on when younger, would be a good read) - So scrap that part of my post.

BUT I still stand by the well trained horse, is easier to handle, and make turning it in to a winner that much easier..

+ Reply to Thread