Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Perfect Luke

Banned Colt Old Frank will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Nathan Butler
    Quote Originally Posted by Drivemecrazy View Post

Crap - Sorry Nathan, you are totally correct. I was thinking Todman and Noholme Dont worry about me! (I will have to read Midas man -- I was not aware TJ was that hands on when younger, would be a good read) - So scrap that part of my post.

BUT I still stand by the well trained horse, is easier to handle, and make turning it in to a winner that much easier..

Wholeheartedly agree with the highlighted point for 99% of good quality/champion horses. (The 1% will always be there for expemptions! Hahahaha...)

How many times do you hear a trainer say, "Ohh if I could just get this bloke's head right, he could be anything..." Those horses end with terrible records/careers mainly down to manners.

A lot of it is still I believe in the education. We rush breaking-in these days to get them up for futurity series because they show raw, natural ability when sometimes, it would have been far and away better long term to take longer and a more patient approach to their education, yes potentially forgoing some early money.

The horse fails early and is deemed' mad and the trainer wants to sack it, yet let the horse be a horse early and break it right, nice and steady and things may well have been vastly different.

As for the 'Midas Man', brilliant read and I'll treasure mine for the rest of my days as it was signed by the great man himself, TJ Smith before he passed away.
    Last edited by Old Frank; 02-03-2012 at 12:42 AM.

Senior Member 3YO 2minuteman will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Ron James
    Occupation
    General Gadfly
    (A lot of it is still I believe in the education. We rush breaking-in these days to get them up for futurity series because they show raw, natural ability when sometimes, it would have been far and away better long term to take longer and a more patient approach to their education, yes potentially forgoing some early money.)
    Now here is someone saying something that should be listened to.

Senior Member Stallion Triple V will become famous soon enough Triple V's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist
    The SINGLE biggest thing that TJ had going for him was Percy Sykes. He was a BRILLIANT Vet.

Banned 2YO ringman will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Greg Hill
    Occupation
    Laying Horses
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple V View Post
    The SINGLE biggest thing that TJ had going for him was Percy Sykes. He was a BRILLIANT Vet.
    TJ was not only great trainer but a master at doing form and brilliant at setting a horse for a race. he was also a Massive winning punter who bet huge amounts in pounds.you would not get half of his bets on today decades later even if you placed in dollars what he bet in pounds .

Senior Member Stallion Triple V will become famous soon enough Triple V's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist
    That's something I have always been in awe of...Trainers who can time it so that their horse hits its peak in a specific big $ race or otherwise have it at its best when they put their $ down. It's an incredible talent.

Senior Member 2YO doinmabest has a spectacular aura about
    Real Name
    Fred Hastings
    I guess JB Cummings is the master of getting a horse to peak on a specific day!

Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist
    Brett Pelling was an absolute master at it too. When the big $ was on offer his horses were trained to the minute.

Junior Member Weanling Drivemecrazy will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Tazmin Hellior
    Occupation
    business
    Quote Originally Posted by 2minuteman View Post
    (A lot of it is still I believe in the education. We rush breaking-in these days to get them up for futurity series because they show raw, natural ability when sometimes, it would have been far and away better long term to take longer and a more patient approach to their education, yes potentially forgoing some early money.)
    Now here is someone saying something that should be listened to.
    Yup, you see it in all codes of racing, and in some of the other equine sports. we are all trying to make furturities, and make babies do a mans work.

A horse is not mature till he is 4 .. but our biggest money is sometimes for the 2yr old and 3yr old seasons.

But horse breeding is a business. People want a quick profit. they dont want to wait 4 or 5 years to see what happens.

but having that well trained youngster .. helps with that quick profit.

Banned Gelding murray green will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    murray green
    Hi Tazmin . It costs about 30K to get a horse to the races as a 2YO . Service fees , registrations , training fees etc etc . Add another 20K to wait till 4YO . The only money worth chasing is as a 2 or 3YO . Breeding would cease without that .

Banned Colt Old Frank will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Nathan Butler
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple V View Post

So TJ couldn't train for 32 straight premiership winning years, it was simply down to the vet?

+ Reply to Thread