Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Melton

Senior Member 2YO Harold Parker is an unknown quantity at this point
    Real Name
    Robert Parker

Melton

I have a couple of Q's for the locals.

If I can free up Saturday I'm going to fly down for the meeting. I'll hire a car and stay locally.

It says 22 Km on Google Maps from the Airport to the track. In Saturday traffic, how long do you think it'll take. Also, any recommendations for nearby accommodation ?

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Toohard will become famous soon enough Toohard's Avatar
    Real Name
    Paul Humphreys
    Horses
    PalaisDuLouvre,Trip 7s, AnythingForLove
    Gday

I haven't travelled via airport to Melton for a long while but I know theres heaps roadworks on the turn off the airport freeway onto the ring road. Think it mainly affects traffic going east (and Melton to the west). If you follow map....from airport head towards city (stay in left lane). Take turn off to Ring Road to head WEST (Ballarat, City, etc). Think you go under the Ring Rd overpass and then take turn off (turn off prior to overpass takes you east). But haven't been that way for while so things might have changed. Follow Ring Rd and turn off at Ballarat turn off (Western H'way). Then just follow road to Melton (reckon its all freeway now). Track is on left of highway at Ferris Road turnoff. Wouldnt take more than half hour on a Saturday UNLESS roadworks slow things down but as above most roadworks on easterly direction.

Hotels at airport maybe best bet unless wanna head into city. Theres a hotel at the track but probably booked out by now. At airport theres the big fancy one and also one of those Accor Hotels. F1 or something (Google "Accor melbourne airport"). Bit cheaper than the big posh one. Had friends stay there year or so ago and they said was fine given that they only sleeping there.

Cheers

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Toohard will become famous soon enough Toohard's Avatar
    Real Name
    Paul Humphreys
    Horses
    PalaisDuLouvre,Trip 7s, AnythingForLove
    Gday again Harold

I just had thought you might be flying into Avalon Airport? I just did Google Maps with Get directions = From - "Tullamarine Airport, Victoria" To - "Tabcorp Park, Ferris Road, Melton South, Victoria". Says shortest route 30k not 22k. Actually Avalon be further away. If you type above in, the line it puts on map is not the most direct route but probably the easiest if you are not familiar with that side of town. Probably quickest too. 'Freeway' all the way. Says 31 minutes when I do it but I'd add some time to that in case roadworks.

Cheers

Senior Member 2YO Harold Parker is an unknown quantity at this point
    Real Name
    Robert Parker
    Thanks TH, much appreciated. Unfortunately I've a 40th to attend on Saturday night that skipped my mind. Harness Racing fan too, on Hunter Cup, Trotters ID night , the shame !!

I am looking forward to getting to Melton though. I've been to four Hunter Cups when they were at the Valley. I remember Try A Fluke fondly !!

Good Luck if you head on out.

+ Reply to Thread