Farm Manager

Breeding season

Anyone have a foal yet?

Banned 4YO justdoit will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    (BANNED) (BANNED)
    Occupation
    (BANNED)
    LadyV what date can stallions start breeding 1st FEB?

Flashing Red
    1st October for Australia and 1st September for New Zealand?? I think? While the new season starts in August/September for NZ and Australia, with average gestation being just over 11 months is why stallions begin to breed a month later.

I assume it would be the same for the USA. In saying that foals can be born in January - feel sorry for the poor buggars though if they did, especially if they are in NJ, NY or PA! Welcome to the world, hope you like snow! lol!

Junior Member Foal LadyV will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Unknown
    Occupation
    Farm Manager
    Yes feb 1st puts your mare due about the 5th. It is cutting it close but they normally go well over their due dates this time of year. I am still waiting on our fiest muscle hill she was due on the 7th. Its cold but mother nature takes care of them, they are born with thick coats. We blanket them and give them thick beds of hay to sleep on outside.

Real Name
    (BANNED) (BANNED)
    Occupation
    (BANNED)
    Is the wind chill the main danger in NA, who is the trotting mare that is due?

Real Name
    Unknown
    Occupation
    Farm Manager
    Sw prelude. Yes wind chill is a concern. We keep plexi glass up on the foaling stalls and we have heat lamps in the stalls.

Real Name
    (BANNED) (BANNED)
    Occupation
    (BANNED)
    Cool , ah I mean good.
    Nice mare and her full brother Malabar Maple stood in NewZealand, Canada.
    She has a 2yo Varenne colt, do you know how he is going?
    Last edited by justdoit; 01-12-2011 at 03:52 AM.

Real Name
    Unknown
    Occupation
    Farm Manager
    I have not heard anything on the colt yet. He was very nicely put together and smart. So hopefully he will race. The chocolatier filly she got sore last year and they said she was real growthly so she was broke trained down and turned out. Ya prelude looks just like maple. Its an older pedigree, the blood line is there to produce.

Super Moderator Colt Neil will become famous soon enough Neil's Avatar
    Real Name
    Neil Bennett
    Occupation
    Engineer
    Hi Lady V

I had never realised that you had foals that early in the year and can understand the efforts you take against the cold

I had mistakenly thought that foals born to Northern Hemisphere time down under had a significant advantage but obviously not. It may just be the better start they get with better weather.

Flashing Red
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Hi Lady V

I had never realised that you had foals that early in the year and can understand the efforts you take against the cold

I had mistakenly thought that foals born to Northern Hemisphere time down under had a significant advantage but obviously not. It may just be the better start they get with better weather.
    When I was overthere, when there was snow or it was really cold, you would walk up in the morning and not an inch of paddock hadn't been stepped on. They literally walk around all night trying to keep warm.

+ Reply to Thread