Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Corporates caught in a sting

Banned 2YO ringman will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Greg Hill
    Occupation
    Laying Horses

Talking Corporates caught in a sting

I dont get why they jump up and down when they get stung by a smarty who manipulates the pool in a race he has backed one with the corporates.Bookies have been laying off on the tote backing ones that will hurt them bad for years by shortening the price and nothing said. but when a smarty backs the rest of the field to get his picks out to good odds they scream blue murder.

What is the difference between backing to shorten and backing to lengthen the odds.

Senior Member Stallion Triple V will become famous soon enough Triple V's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist
    Greg, that's always welcome news. I know that they grizzle long and loud when they get crushed but seriously...do they really expect anyone is going to shed a tear?
    Who genuinely gives a fat rats arse if the Corporates get skinned? There'd have to be more cheering and well done's than anything else. Anyone who does those Vultures over is Ok in my book.

Banned Yearling TSW will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Tim Watson
    Could you elaborate on the race in question, please? Thanks.

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by ringman View Post
    I dont get why they jump up and down when they get stung by a smarty who manipulates the pool in a race he has backed one with the corporates.Bookies have been laying off on the tote backing ones that will hurt them bad for years by shortening the price and nothing said. but when a smarty backs the rest of the field to get his picks out to good odds they scream blue murder.

What is the difference between backing to shorten and backing to lengthen the odds.
    I suppose the griping goes with the territory Ringman, they ( like most of us) grin when you win and have good whinge when you get a flogging!
    I remember years ago when we still had a few bag boys at the trots, we had a good winner this particular day and the "boys" had a ball, no matter how much they put on the bookies just kept taking the dough. Our lads had a stack on, averaged about 9/2 and we got the bickies without any stress at all.
    I stopped on the way home to grab a bite and ran into one the poor distressed bookies at the cafe' and he says " gee Dan mate, can you tell the boys not to hammer me so hard next time??" I said " sorry mate, they told me you kept laying the horse like you knew more than we did, so I reckon you better have a yarn to yourself next time Ha Ha"

The geography of punting may have changed, but you won't change the players!

Good thread ringman, should get a bit of a yarn going.

Cheers,

Dan

Real Name
    Greg Hill
    Occupation
    Laying Horses
    Quote Originally Posted by TSW View Post
    Could you elaborate on the race in question, please? Thanks.
    The Daily Telegraph January 25, 2012

A PUNTER yesterday revived memories of Eddie Hayson and Steven Fletcher's notorious Lucy's Light greyhound sting when he pulled off an audacious betting plunge on a dog race at Horsham. In almost identical circumstances to the 2005 sting at the Gold Coast, the Maitland local manipulated the place pool with the NSW TAB and UNITAB before launching a significant plunge with corporate bookmakers around the country.
    More than $20,000 was wagered on two dogs, Stack 'Em Flat and Echelon, to run a place in the five-dog opening race at the country Victorian track in the hope of winning $150,000.
    The place pools in NSW and UNITAB were manipulated by having carefully calculated place bets on the three remaining dogs, dramatically reducing their prices and inflating the two he wished to back with separate bookies.
    Echelon was the $1.60 favourite to win and $7.10 to place, while Stack 'Em Flat was $2.40 and $9.10 for the place.
    With the tote pools manipulated, Stack 'Em Flat and Echelon smashed their rivals to finish first and second - the perfect result as both bets won.
    Four corporate bookmakers - Sportingbet, Betchoice, Centrebet and Betstar - were hit by the punter, who opened new accounts with the bookies just hours before the race.
    None of the four bookmakers paid the full amount to the punter, claiming they have terms and conditions which prevent the payments that are the result of manipulated pools.
    The punter, who wished not to be named, told The Daily Telegraph he was a friend of Fletcher's and he had played a part in the Lucy's Light sting, which ripped more than $1 million from bookmakers across the country.
    South Australian bookmaker Curly Seal initially refused to pay Eddie Hayson $700,000 but the pair later settled out of court. .................................................. .................................................. ..................
    Jan 2006

SYDNEY punter Eddie Hayson yesterday went on the attack against Adelaide-based bookmaker Curly Seal and the South Australian liquor and gaming office over the non-payment of almost $700,000 in the betting sting Hayson and a colleague pulled off at the Gold Coast greyhounds almost three weeks ago.
    Hayson said there seemed to be "a lack of professionalism" by authorities in South Australia and was at a loss to know why it may take another three weeks before Seal pays up.
    Hayson skinned Seal with a plan to manipulate the Unitab tote pool on a dog race Seal was betting on. Seal, like corporate bookmakers around the country, pay punters Unitab dividends on selected races.
    More than $52,000 was wagered on Lucy's Light with Seal to win the race when it was paying as little as $1.10 on Unitab.
    Just before the dogs jumped, Hayson's offsider, Steve Fletcher, placed $16,000 with Unitab on Lucy's Light's five rivals, forcing what should have been a $1.30 payout for Lucy's Light to $13.
    Hayson said other corporate bookies who were targeted by the plunge had "the decency to pay us at $13", but Seal had referred the matter to the liquor and gaming office for the commissioner to investigate.
    "What could possibly have to be investigated further," Hayson said.
    "This should have been fixed up already. You'd think there was monkey business going on with Curly and the liquor and gaming office the way it is dragging on."
    Hayson said not only was he out of pocket at the moment but charities were missing out, too.
    "We will be giving $5000 to the cause that looks after greyhounds and finds them homes when they have finished their racing careers," he said. "And another $30,000 will be donated to the Cremorne Community Mental Health Centre."
    Seal said he had been in constant contact with the liquor and gaming authorities and there had been "progression every day".
    "They are getting all my information that is relevant. Phone records, betting sheets, things like that," he said.
    "It is in the hands of the commissioner and I am bound by their rules."
    Hayson said he had spoken to the liquor and gaming office, "but no one there can tell me where they are at with the investigation."
    "They have, in fact, been very elusive and unhelpful. There was no fraud involved, all we did was bet with a bookmaker and also bet into a tote pool. The dog still had to win.
    "What about the times that Curly has backed something on Unitab that we were on to bring its price in from $14 to $3? We can't and don't complain then."
    A spokesperson for liquor and gaming said: "It is very difficult to put a timeframe on it. It may be another two or three weeks but that is not unusual … ".
    Last edited by ringman; 02-08-2012 at 07:25 PM.

Real Name
    Greg Hill
    Occupation
    Laying Horses
    Yes Dan i have walked away from track when i have had 6 skinners out of 7 races laughing my head off and happy with the nights winnings then when it turned on other meetings i was sick as a dog going back to the car

No matter if your a punter or bookie never lose your cool at a result by holding a grudge against a runner/driver/ rider or you may pay heavily in the long term. take your losses on the chin because your day will come although if your a punter most will have a bit longer to wait than a bookie.

Senior Member Stallion Triple V will become famous soon enough Triple V's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist
    The Corporates are pretty bloody precious at the best of times. If you're deemed to have been too successful too often they'll quickly move to limit your activity and if you keep on being successful they'll just plain lock you out. Handbags. Big girls blouses. No Cajones.
    I sincerely hope that these blokes keep on lining them up and smashing them at every opportunity. If there's one thing in this World that I have absolutely no pitty nor sympathy for...it is a Bookie, be they the traditional version thereof or a corporate.

Senior Member 3YO Gtrain has a spectacular aura about Gtrain's Avatar
    Real Name
    Grant Train
    I'd love to read a book on some of Fletchers activity!!

Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtrain View Post
    I'd love to read a book on some of Fletchers activity!!
    [VVV] Funny man. I think he loved the thrill of the chase more than he enjoyed any actual win.
    Big Punter and absolutely fearless with it. He'd regularly turn over 500k of a Saturday on the TB's. Punted upwards of $30mil a year. Made Steel Balls look like a Girl Scout.

Real Name
    Greg Hill
    Occupation
    Laying Horses
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple V View Post
    If If there's one thing in this World that I have absolutely no pitty nor sympathy for...it is a Bookie, be they the traditional version thereof or a corporate.
    Why only reason must be you have trouble (like most) at beating a bookie ? it should be the other way round most bookies could retire happily on what they are owed by punters who have taken the knock on them . i agree with the part about corporates of today they ban winners at a rapid rate and are not like the real bookie who would love the challenge of taking the punter on.

+ Reply to Thread