Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Corporates caught in a sting

Senior Member 3YO Gtrain has a spectacular aura about Gtrain's Avatar
    Real Name
    Grant Train
    I hate the dishonesty about the price and the fact that these companies are able to lay off into tote pools after the start of a race. But they are the only option for us now the art of the REAL bookie has been all but killed off. I have never hated an on track bookie for taking my money. I was only trying to take his.

Member Gelding Just Saying will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Scott Crameri
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtrain View Post
    I hate the dishonesty about the price and the fact that these companies are able to lay off into tote pools after the start of a race. But they are the only option for us now the art of the REAL bookie has been all but killed off. I have never hated an on track bookie for taking my money. I was only trying to take his.
    Pardon my ignorance but how do they do that? And is that the reason for the dramatic late plunges on the TAB that Ronnie Hawkswell mentions when calling Melbourne Metro greyhound racing?

Senior Member Horse Of The Year broncobrad has a spectacular aura about
    Real Name
    Brad Leach
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Saying View Post
    Pardon my ignorance but how do they do that? And is that the reason for the dramatic late plunges on the TAB that Ronnie Hawkswell mentions when calling Melbourne Metro greyhound racing?
    Beat me to it Scott, I'd like to know the answer to that one too or do us mug punters just perceive that someone has got their money on after the jump?

Actually was having a couple of interest bets that afternoon on the net at Horsham and knew of both the dogs ability over that distance. Of course there were only two place totes and I wouldn't have considered either of them. Backed Stack Em Flat for the win cos he'd been steaming home lately and was pretty pleased when he got up. Clicked back on the final dividends and was over the moon at the winning div. Then I noticed the place divs on both the favs and felt ripped off big time. A couple of seconds later it dawns on me that the market manipulators had been at work again and I had to tip me lid to them. They pick this unremarkable little bush meeting and pull off another sting.

What annoys me is how the bookies are able to wiggle out of their liability, but us punters have to honour our losing bets. It sux that these blokes were not paid out in full when as far as I can see they have not broken any rules. They just outfoxed their quarry.

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year teecee has a spectacular aura about teecee's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tony Cahill
    Quote Originally Posted by just saying View Post
    pardon my ignorance but how do they do that? And is that the reason for the dramatic late plunges on the tab that ronnie hawkswell mentions when calling melbourne metro greyhound racing?
    YES!!!!....
    They have the tech ability to do anything to manipulate pools usually to their advantage between the CLOSE and DECLARING A RESULT.
    These include but not exclusive to.. laying off bets after the close.
    Cancelling bad sales...i.e. punter takes bet for wrong amount or selections.
    Holding bad sales till result is known then acting on these to their advantage.... ie if the bet's a loser....Cancel. If the bet's a winner keeping the bet for themselves.

How do I know this for a fact????
    I worked for a corporate Bookmaker organisation doing these things as my job as policy..!!!!
    Last edited by teecee; 02-09-2012 at 10:23 AM.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year broncobrad has a spectacular aura about
    Real Name
    Brad Leach
    Quote Originally Posted by teecee View Post
    YES!!!!....
    They have the tech ability to do anything to manipulate pools usually to their advantage between the CLOSE and DECLARING A RESULT.
    These include but not exclusive to.. laying off bets after the close.
    Cancelling bad sales...i.e. punter takes bet for wrong amount or selections.
    Holding bad sales till result is known then acting on these to their advantage.... ie if the bet's a loser....Cancel. If the bet's a winner keeping the bet for themselves.

I worked for a corporate Bookmaker organisation doing these things as my job as policy..!!!!

I might be a bit wet behind the ears or just plain naive Teecee and I know you are not prone to making scurrillous statements that can't be backed up but how could a fully regulated system such as the TAB allow that kind of behaviour to occur and if so are you saying it is still happening?

Howcan a person place a bet with the tote after betting is closed?

If its an operator error I would agree there would be some avenue of recourse for the poor old punter eg operator places a larger bet (in error) and rings the hotline to cancel the bet. No problems. But if that was repetitive behaviour at that site surely the TAB would be investigating said behaviour and that outlet would soon have some explaining to do.

The only loophole I know of (don't know if it still exists) is an operator especially on trot races could cancel a bet for a very short period of time after the start of the race.

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year teecee has a spectacular aura about teecee's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tony Cahill
    I have no reason to believe it doesn't still happen but I've been out of it 10 years now. Such tickets are listed "legitimately" as unclaimed dividends as will always be having no owner. They then go down The big deep dark hole"..!!

Howcan a person place a bet with the tote after betting is closed?
    A person can't place a bet after the tote has closed but virtually anything can be done with those betsplaced b4 close, in the period between the tote closes and the results and divvies are posted. Have you ever noticed that divvies from some pools take some time to appear after the result. It is mostly common with exotic pools. Why do you think that is when computers work all this stuff out in microseconds.???? even quaddies, BIg 6 and in NZ Pick 6...!!!!!! Do u have access to "WILL PAY' odds on last leg exotics. Do you wonder how often they differ from payable declared divvies.

If its an operator error I would agree there would be some avenue of recourse for the poor old punter eg operator places a larger bet (in error) and rings the hotline to cancel the bet. No problems. But if that was repetitive behaviour at that site surely the TAB would be investigating said behaviour and that outlet would soon have some explaining to do.

This is probably true but in my experience most things like this happen on track with the customer error..e.g. not filling in the slip properly and then being unable to pay for the bet. It often happens in the rush of the last minute. If it's a loser it's deducted at no loss to the punter. If it's a winner then it's held and goes into the audit trail as an unclaimed dividend ticket. It tends to only happen on exotics with a value to make it worthwhile otherwise it's cancelled. It's done by system control staff after the result is known but before result and divvies are declared for payment.

The only loophole I know of (don't know if it still exists) is an operator especially on trot races could cancel a bet for a very short period of time after the start of the race.[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by teecee; 02-09-2012 at 03:55 PM.

Senior Member Stallion Triple V will become famous soon enough Triple V's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist
    Quote Originally Posted by teecee View Post
    [VVV] You were once part of the Evil Empire?
    Geeze Tony...mate, I'd keep that to yourself if I were you. That's like going to a very swank soiree and slipping the topic of Hemorrhoids into the dinner table conversation.

Real Name
    Tony Cahill
    I've been the length and Breadth of this industry. From the real highs of seeing and helping foals into the world and following their careers to the depths of seein g and being innocent parties to the corruption within and on the borders of it.
    I do like your analogy..!!!!

Senior Member Stallion Triple V will become famous soon enough Triple V's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist

Thumbs up

Indeed. Love seeing those foals arrive. Strength & Honour TC. Strength & Honour.

Real Name
    Tony Cahill
    Great to see you back.
    Now for some sensible dialogue.

+ Reply to Thread