Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Lauren Panella....28 Days.

Banned Gelding Stonie will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Paul Stone
    Occupation
    Concretor

Lauren Panella....28 Days.

Some time off may do her the world of good.

She has been a very busy girl lately..........

JOCK WALLACE had a tendency to over race during the middle stages and was unable to secure clear running at any stage in the home straight and was not fully tested. Stewards questioned Driver L Panella regarding the tactics employed on JOCK WALLACE. L Panella explained that she was instructed to look to take up a forward position with cover without placing undue pressure on JOCK WALLACE. L Panella said that she was hoping to gain the position behind the leader however ended up racing three back along the marker pegs. She added that when the tempo slowed in the second quarter the gelding commenced to overrace. L Panella stated that near the 500 metres she gave thought to shifting out onto the back of MONTE CARLO LOMBO however that runner was weakening so she remained on the back of MYOURI NZ. Leaving the 400 metres L Panella said that she shifted out slightly to follow MYOURI NZ but was unable to obtain clear running with MISS LIVIA racing to her outside as a result she looked to shift back in however ROYAL PLACE had improved marginally to her inside. L Panella stated that over the final 200 metres she was not of the view that she could shift JOCK WALLACE off the back of MYOURI NZ when it appeared there was room to improve to the inside as she was concerned that the gelding may be unsafe. Trainer D New confirmed his instructions and indicated that the gelding can prove to be difficult to drive particularly when overracing. A post race vet exam revealed no abnormalities. After careful consideration L Panella was charged pursuant to AHR Rule 149(2) for an unacceptable drive. The particulars being that near the 350metres L Panella shifted JOCK WALLACE out on to the back of MYOURI NZ where there was no available clear run. This afforded ROYAL PLACE which was trailing JOCK WALLACE an opportunity to improve to its inside. Furthermore L Panella elected to keep JOCK WALLACE racing on the back of the MYOURI NZ for the remainder of the home straight when, approaching the 100 metres, in the opinion of Stewards there was an opportunity available to shift in and race to the inside of that runner to allow JOCK WALLACE to improve its position. L Panella pleaded guilty. In assessing penalty Stewards took into consideration L Panellas guilty plea, relative inexperience, her good driving record and the financial implications that any penalty may impose. L Panella was suspended for a period of 28 days.

Junior Member Yearling William will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    William Child
    This could pose a problem for her Camp Quality fundraising efforts.

Senior Member 2YO Harold Parker is an unknown quantity at this point
    Real Name
    Robert Parker
    28 days is a joke. She was a victim of circumstances. Not only did the parked horse drop out sharply in front of her, the driver of Myouri was in and out a few times as well. If she angled inside on the first occasion she would of been knocked over. She was trying to get outside and couldn't in an effort to win. Looks to me like she's being pinged for not trying hard enough to finish 5th or 6th with 50-75m to go.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year broncobrad has a spectacular aura about
    Real Name
    Brad Leach
    Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    This could pose a problem for her Camp Quality fundraising efforts.
    I would certainly hope someone with a higher profile than Lauren picks up the gauntlet for her whilst she is sidelined. Camp Quality. Can anyone out there think of a more deserving organisation that could benefit from harness racing support. It could even attract new people to the sport. Any bigger stables out there who might be interested???

Real Name
    Brad Leach
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold Parker View Post
    28 days is a joke. She was a victim of circumstances. Not only did the parked horse drop out sharply in front of her, the driver of Myouri was in and out a few times as well. If she angled inside on the first occasion she would of been knocked over. She was trying to get outside and couldn't in an effort to win. Looks to me like she's being pinged for not trying hard enough to finish 5th or 6th with 50-75m to go.
    Just looked at the replay and that would have to be THE MOST BRAINDEAD stewards finding in history. The horse is pulling its head off and is obviously a very difficult animal to handle. IMO she has done everything asked of her in this race and didn't take any runs that just were not there or would have been unsafe to take if she did. This panel of stewards must have been the same lot that officiated at the Bathurst meeting that I'd raised questions about in January...blind to the obvious.

An appeal here should quickly be upheld. My vision of the race a bit blurry, but it appears Lauren has her hands a bit too close to her body when the horse really fizzes up and she has to grab for more rein down the back. I am DEFINITELY no expert but I think she could have her arms extended further forward when driving a horse like this so she isn't cramped for space

Real Name
    Brad Leach
    Daryl, Jock Wallaces trainer, has in the past posted on the forum. It would be interesting to get his opinion of the horse and what he thought of Laurens drive.

Real Name
    Robert Parker
    Quote Originally Posted by broncobrad View Post
    Just looked at the replay and that would have to be THE MOST BRAINDEAD stewards finding in history. The horse is pulling its head off and is obviously a very difficult animal to handle. IMO she has done everything asked of her in this race and didn't take any runs that just were not there or would have been unsafe to take if she did. This panel of stewards must have been the same lot that officiated at the Bathurst meeting that I'd raised questions about in January...blind to the obvious.

An appeal here should quickly be upheld. My vision of the race a bit blurry, but it appears Lauren has her hands a bit too close to her body when the horse really fizzes up and she has to grab for more rein down the back. I am DEFINITELY no expert but I think she could have her arms extended further forward when driving a horse like this so she isn't cramped for space
    The majority of races at Menangle are stop start. A few horses run the gate, most ease and that's it. If the middles halves are slow, gaps inside or through (safely) is very difficult. He would of proven a tough drive for any driver the other day. No way they suspend a Snr driver for that. They're making an example of her.

Real Name
    Robert Parker
    From what I've seen the few months I've been back in the country, she does appear to be a very promising driver. This punter wouldn't hesitate supporting a horse I liked if she were on it.

Banned Filly tiny will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Andy Macole
    Not worth 28 days. I think it was probably worth a little chat but that is it. The horse got the better of her when the pace eased. I think it may have also been a poor choice of driver. Lauren is a good young driver but not who I would pick to drive horses that pull.

Senior Member Stallion Triple V will become famous soon enough Triple V's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist
    There's a fair old head shaker. 28 days seems well & truly over the top for that. Like yourself Andy, I just thought the horse took charge & she was a bit of a passenger for a while. A victim of circumstance when the brakes jammed on up front. A remprimand or whatever, no dramas... but 4 weeks? Geeze. I reckon your driver was pretty harshly dealt with there Daryl.
    Last edited by Triple V; 02-09-2012 at 10:21 PM. Reason: too many 'r' s in Daryl

+ Reply to Thread