Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Should drivers be allowed to bet on horses.

Member Yearling geoffkel will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Geoff Parsons
    exactly I do not know one driver or jockey that does not bet!!!

Banned Weanling Zyuganov Leis will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Craig Stewart
    I won't name him so I don't incriminate, but one former leading driver used to have this as his mantra, and I quote -

"I don't care if I don't drive the winner, as long as I back the winner..."

Absolutely true 100%.

Senior Member 3YO barney will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    brian campbell
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyuganov Leis View Post
    From my understanding, drivers ARE NOT permitted to bet. Your young driver is an idiot for talking out loud.

As awful as it sounds, it doesn't matter if there was a rule against them betting, all drivers would (and do), and if you think jockeys don't, your dreaming. ALL jockeys bet and some in very large demoninations.
    And when they get caught they get outed Eg Robil and Shinn cant remember a harness driver being suspended.

Member Gelding Itisi will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Mick Tobias
    What about trainer/drivers is he betting as a driver or trainer

Senior Member Horse Of The Year broncobrad has a spectacular aura about
    Real Name
    Brad Leach
    I am more than happy to see drivers and trainers backing their own horses as long as its not with Betfair.

Seriously, you know they are trying and if they get beat it is because the animal isn't good enough, or the driver is outpointed or beaten by circumstances or just plain bad luck. You can't say they weren't trying. They backed their horse because they are trying.

Senior Member 3YO barney will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    brian campbell
    Guys i realise this is not going to happen.My point though sport does have to take some drastic measure or as i said in original post will just wither and die.

Would hate to say how many joe punters have mentioned to me how come Smoken up is in the interdom this year when tested positive last year.My only answer is Justice has appealed the positive but to be stil going on after 12 months is a joke.

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year teecee has a spectacular aura about teecee's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tony Cahill
    How long do Joe Punters expect that Smoken Up should not be allowed to race.
    Preventing a horse from participating is only a penalty on the owners.
    Without going into the issues of his positive swab, he has been tested any number of times since for no positive tests.
    ast years issues are dealt with in NZ under NZ rules. NZ does not punish owners unnecessarily by banning horses from racing ad infinitum

As for the issue of drivers betting, I agree with Brad. Being able to back their drive gives an added incentive to try harder.
    In NZ drivers are permitted to bet on horses only which they drive.
    When questioned by stewards re their drive it is common for them to produce tickets showing they supported the horse on the tote. It's nearly the perfect defence.!!

Real Name
    Craig Stewart
    Quote Originally Posted by Itisi View Post

What about trainer/drivers is he betting as a driver or trainer

He's a driver the minute he get's handed the reins in the mounting yard...

Real Name
    Craig Stewart
    Quote Originally Posted by teecee View Post
    How long do Joe Punters expect that Smoken Up should not be allowed to race.
    Preventing a horse from participating is only a penalty on the owners.
    Without going into the issues of his positive swab, he has been tested any number of times since for no positive tests.
    ast years issues are dealt with in NZ under NZ rules. NZ does not punish owners unnecessarily by banning horses from racing ad infinitum

As for the issue of drivers betting, I agree with Brad. Being able to back their drive gives an added incentive to try harder.
    In NZ drivers are permitted to bet on horses only which they drive.
    When questioned by stewards re their drive it is common for them to produce tickets showing they supported the horse on the tote. It's nearly the perfect defence.!!
    So when a horse draws 10 at Menangle and can't win over the mile due to having to go back to far etc and in the opinion of the driver he/she will find it hard to win so he/she doesn't back it, does that mean he/she wasn't trying?

So he/she has to fundamentally waste his driving fee/money having a bet to justify that he/she was on the job when in all accounts he/she was trying to begin with, it's just the job of winning was extremely hard to do in the first place?

Senior Member Stallion Triple V will become famous soon enough Triple V's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist
    Realistically, there's absout as much chance of stopping Drivers & Jockeys from having a bet as their is stopping the Hippies in Nimbin from growing Pot in the hills. As to whether or not they should be allowed to bet, it's kind of a moot point because those that want to do so...will ultimately find a way to do so, regardless. In one respect I would rather know that a Jockey or Driver had plonked his/her own hard earned down on their charge because you'd expect that they'd be giving it every chance and then some.

+ Reply to Thread