Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Should drivers be allowed to bet on horses.

Banned Weanling Zyuganov Leis will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Craig Stewart
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple V View Post
    Realistically, there's absout as much chance of stopping Drivers & Jockeys from having a bet as their is stopping the Hippies in Nimbin from growing Pot in the hills. As to whether or not they should be allowed to bet, it's kind of a moot point because those that want to do so...will ultimately find a way to do so, regardless. In one respect I would rather know that a Jockey or Driver had plonked his/her own hard earned down on their charge because you'd expect that they'd be giving it every chance and then some.

Most of the time, and I do mean most of the time with both Jockeys and Drivers though, it ain't their hard earned - their 'TIPPING' and have a dumb punter or two in toe, hanging off them for crumbs.

Drivers and Jockeys, the last to spend their own!

Senior Member Stallion Triple V will become famous soon enough Triple V's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist
    Years and years ago a former then small time TV/Radio personality (I think he has passed away now?) was, in a prior life to that, a Jockey Manager.
    He used to crack me up because he'd run these 'Punter's Clubs' and he'd get hundreds & hundreds of dear old Grannies & recreational stay at home punters to throw in, I think it was $10 or $20 each or whatever it was, to make a bank.
    Then I reckon he used to step into the early betting with their collective works and take a whack at a horse or horses that he knew couldn't win it, make a false fav. of one of them etc. then late in the piece he'd produce his own clip and take a genuine whack for himself & for his Jockey clients, the money going down on the horse they actually thought would score, with it so often having the happy coincidence of being one of the horses that one of his said clients was riding. Ain't life grand?

Senior Member 3YO barney will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    brian campbell
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyuganov Leis View Post
    Most of the time, and I do mean most of the time with both Jockeys and Drivers though, it ain't their hard earned - their 'TIPPING' and have a dumb punter or two in toe, hanging off them for crumbs.

Drivers and Jockeys, the last to spend their own!
    Tipping didnt do Chris Munce many favors.

Senior Member 3YO barney will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    brian campbell
    The main reason i opened this thread is to point out that Harness racing must do something to change its image, seems to me a lot on here dont think there is anything wrong with it.Believe me the normal punter at a pub or club when you mention harness shy away or use the expressions i put on an earlier thread.

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year teecee has a spectacular aura about teecee's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tony Cahill
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyuganov Leis View Post
    So when a horse draws 10 at Menangle and can't win over the mile due to having to go back to far etc and in the opinion of the driver he/she will find it hard to win so he/she doesn't back it, does that mean he/she wasn't trying? NO..!!

So he/she has to fundamentally waste his driving fee/money having a bet to justify that he/she was on the job when in all accounts he/she was trying to begin with, it's just the job of winning was extremely hard to do in the first place?
    NO..!!!

Senior Member Stallion Triple V will become famous soon enough Triple V's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist
    I'm not into the TB's however if you want a good read about Jockeys punting read I Just Want To Be A Jockey- the story of Arthur Lister.
    It has been around a while now. Might even be out of print? Lister was a handy rider in NSW but when he went North in the late 60's/early 70's and hooked up with QLD trainer Mal Barnes, together they landed some absolutely massive plunges. Might be able to get it at the Horseman's Bookshop at Kensington...if that's still around/open?

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year David Summers will become famous soon enough David Summers's Avatar
    Real Name
    David Summers
    Jaimie , if anyone is interested , that book is available for purchase online here http://www.boolarongpress.com.au/con....asp?bookid=86

You can also download the first chapter on that site and have a read to see if it is a book that you would like to buy.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year broncobrad has a spectacular aura about
    Real Name
    Brad Leach
    Craig all I am saying is I would be filled with a bit more confidence if I knew a driver had backed his horse to win that race. Nothing more nothing less. If they don't back their horse I would have less confidence in that horse being able to win that race. It does not mean anything untoward is occurring. It just means the driver doesn't fancy its chances. Its up to the stewards to determine if that driver has given his horse every chance.

Its a moot point anyway, it ain't never gonna happen.
    Last edited by broncobrad; 02-17-2012 at 08:51 PM. Reason: To put sanity into the conversation.

Member Yearling M.John will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Michael Johnson
    safe to say brad hewitt didnt have anything on screamin seamen ... dearyyyy me, shocker

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Greg Hando will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Greg Hando
    Quote Originally Posted by broncobrad View Post
    I reckon when connections advise of a change in driving tactics, they should also advise if they are going support the animal in the betting ring.
    What if they don't bet ?
    Have whoever you want on but don't ever have yourself on

+ Reply to Thread