Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Where are they now???

Senior Member Horse Of The Year The Form Student will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Steve Carter
    Occupation
    Astral Projectionist
    Horses
    Rocket Glenfern, Tudor Royal, Manaroa,

Where are they now???

Would like to start a thread to find out what has happened to certain "characters" from harness racing are doing now?

Has anyone seen "Parramatta Tony", I have not been to a meeting in a while, so I don't know if he is still going? Can anyone update?

Real Name
    Steve Carter
    Occupation
    Astral Projectionist
    Horses
    What about "Mad Mark", he often was seen at Harold Park not wearing a shirt..........He would say "you have taken everything else, you may as well take my shirt as well"
    His most famous incident was when Cecil Devine "slaughtered" Lord Module at Harold Park, and Mark climbed up on top of the old tote building and said "come on punters let's storm the birdcage"
    He was often seen on a soapbox down at the "domain" giving a speech about the world!

Anybody seen him?

Senior Member Stallion Triple V will become famous soon enough Triple V's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist
    One always stuck in my mind. There was a (relatively) young fella out there, can't remember his name...a pretty big & burly type, he used to cup one hand over an ear and call various ID & assorted big race clashes from years past.
    Those assembled would hang on his every word and cheer at the appropriate moments as the titans of years gone by stepped out to battle once again. One night I was out there & old mate was there, giving it his all as he called a titanic battle, culminating in Harry Hazelwood's horse, Golden Alley & Henry Pullen surging to the line. Great stuff. The bloke didn't have both oars in the water of course but he sure was a very, very good race caller.

Real Name
    Steve Carter
    Occupation
    Astral Projectionist
    Horses
    I know who you mean, I think he was called "Freddy". "Parramatta Tony" was also a great greyhound race caller, only one problem the same greyhound came from last to win everytime - his name "Ragsie", and that's what he used to do!!! he was a great greyhound.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year broncobrad has a spectacular aura about
    Real Name
    Brad Leach
    Was at Forbes one saturday arvo and I think Bill Palmer was doing the calling. All was going swimmingly until the field rounded the home corner and charged for home.
    The PA suddenly gave out and in the deathly silence a wag in the crowd at the top of his voice yelled "AND HERE COMES HARRYS BOY". Guffaws of delight as the crowd broke out in laughter. Don't remember the winner, but will never forget that moment. Guess you had to be there.

Real Name
    Steve Carter
    Occupation
    Astral Projectionist
    Horses
    Quote Originally Posted by broncobrad View Post
    Was at Forbes one saturday arvo and I think Bill Palmer was doing the calling. All was going swimmingly until the field rounded the home corner and charged for home.
    The PA suddenly gave out and in the deathly silence a wag in the crowd at the top of his voice yelled "AND HERE COMES HARRYS BOY". Guffaws of delight as the crowd broke out in laughter. Don't remember the winner, but will never forget that moment. Guess you had to be there.
    Hey Brad, I heard on the grapevine that HRNSW are thinking of opening a track at Maclean.........they have even earmarked a location......you know when you are coming into Maclean from the south on the Pacific Hwy, before the bridge...........you know where you have to do the big loop to go to Yamba...........right in the middle there!!........how do reckon it will go?

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by The Form Student View Post
    Hey Brad, I heard on the grapevine that HRNSW are thinking of opening a track at Maclean.........they have even earmarked a location......you know when you are coming into Maclean from the south on the Pacific Hwy, before the bridge...........you know where you have to do the big loop to go to Yamba...........right in the middle there!!........how do reckon it will go?
    I'd love to see the business plan for that!!!

Real Name
    Steve Carter
    Occupation
    Astral Projectionist
    Horses
    The Hunter Valley is as far north as trotting goes along the north coast, I think Port Macquarie Harness Racing Club sounds good.... only problem is it is too far away from the "Mecca" at Menangle.....and Hunter Valley trotting does not have enough meetings...........there are always full fields with the same horses going around week after week, unless it is a carnival meeting.......even the horses all know each other!

Senior Member Horse Of The Year broncobrad has a spectacular aura about
    Real Name
    Brad Leach
    Its called the clover leaf which the RMS is currently trying to floodproof. I'll pass your comments on to the relevant authoritys but for now the only tracks I get to these days are the G. Coast and AP and thats only every now and then.

Banned Foal kaybee will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Kim Brennan
    What about "Mad Mark", he often was seen at Harold Park not wearing a shirt..........He would say "you have taken everything else, you may as well take my shirt as well"
    His most famous incident was when Cecil Devine "slaughtered" Lord Module at Harold Park, and Mark climbed up on top of the old tote building and said "come on punters let's storm the birdcage"
    He was often seen on a soapbox down at the "domain" giving a speech about the world!

Anybody seen him?
    Yes lives in Perth now and funny thing is he was a maniac on caourse but a nice bloke to have abeer with at the pub.

+ Reply to Thread