Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: New Interdominion Format

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    Yes Brendan I realise that, however the industry as whole is reliant on TAB turnover as the major source of revenue to increase prizemoney etc. My point is that if our premier event is not attracting significant increases in TAB revenue and its not drawing the sponsorship dollars and public attention that is required then we should look at changing something.

I agree that the time difference and travel distance has impacted on the above it we would see stronger revenue and better fields if the event was run in the eastern states of Aust.

Personally I'm not convinced the format NSW are going to run with will work either.

I would use the $1.6M in prizemoney up for grabs this year to have 4 races over a 4 week carnival open for entry to all pacers who have passed certain qualifying criteria. The field would be determined by a ballot based on career and current performance.

Week 1: 1609m Group 3 of $150k (Winner exempt from ballot), combine with Oaks heats and 2yo Sapling Stakes for fillies
    Week 2: 1609m Group 3 of $150k (Winner exempt from ballot), combine with Derby heats and 2yo Sapling Stakes for colts
    Week 3: 2300m Group 2 of $300k (Winner exempt from ballot), combine with Oaks Final, Mares Stakes race, a trotters stakes race & female drivers event
    Week 4: 3200m Group 1 BEN HUR of $1M field of 10 (3 winners above plus next 7 best performed horses in Aust/NZ) off the front at Menangle, combine with Derby Final, Mares Stakes race, Trotters Cup and a 2yo Stakes race open to Colts & Filles PBD/Sex & a junior drivers event

I would run the carnival for the 4 weeks post the thoroughbred autumn carnival and work with NSW events and the ATC to extend the carnival of racing brand to incorporate both thoroughbred and harness racing. You could even push back the Sydney APG sale and hold it at the back end of the easter sales at Randwick to broaden the scope of the carnival.
    This year it is worth $1 Mill. I think it got some good sponsorship dollars. Interest isn't always measured in TAB turnover. There is probably little interest in C0s at Newcastle on a Saturday night yet they can challenge a FFA at Menangle on the Friday night in terms of TAB pool.

Using this forum as a show of interest - not one race has generated as much discussion on this forum as the IDs. I think the interest is there. In fact I'll even go as far to say the ID has pulled the forum together and stopped the bickering and has made all the bad stuff happening recently take a back seat.

An interdominion isn't about getting the most TAB dollars. I really don't understand why you think a few races representing 0.01% (if that) of the years racing is so important. An interdominion is unique and is about getting the best horses together and showcasing them (which Perth and the SU and ITMQ dominance thrawted this year). The figures aren't that bad anyway.

There is a seperate thread for carnival of racing.

Senior Member 3YO Mitch will become famous soon enough Mitch's Avatar
    Real Name
    Mitch Lenaghan
    OK Brendan I will try one last time to explain myself then I will move on.

I am not disputing that the ID creates interest within the harness community and you are right that this forum is proof of that. I agree that the Perth factor has had some negative impacts.

My point is that the current format does not deliver competitive racing until you get to the final and without competitive racing TAB turnover suffers and people tune out. I haven't bothered to watch any of the heats live as most of the results are a foregone conclusion (and I'm not the only one). I also question whether the current format is dynamic enough to create interest outside of the sport to draw in new participants. Given this is supposedly the pinnacle event in harness racing it needs to be a cash cow for punting revenue, sponsorship investment and general media coverage. If not the industry is just pissing in its own wetsuit (feels good at the time but starts to stink after a while) and I am saying that it is currently not delivering on that.

I am suggesting that the $720K prize money that was on offer throughout the heats would be better spent on less races that are more competitive. I am not suggesting that the TAB turnover on the ID is critical to the overall health of the industry, I am using it as KPI to suggest that the current format doesn't deliver a significantly better result which it should. The days of luring massive crowds to the trots are long gone, so the true measure of success of an event has to be TAB turnover followed by sponsorship $$$ investment and media coverage.

If the current format can deliver competitive racing in both heats and final on the Eastern seaboard then I would fully support it. Obviously NSWHRC don't believe it can that's why that have changed it.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Member Gelding Lenem will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Lenny Bagle
    perfect sense !

Banned Gelding murray green will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    murray green
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenem View Post
    perfect sense !
    Agree

aussiebreno
    [QUOTE=Mitch;18298]OK Brendan I will try one last time to explain myself then I will move on.
    QUOTE]
    Yep think its best to agree to disagree.

+ Reply to Thread