Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: NSW 2yo Fillies racing opportunities. WHAT AN ABSOLUTE DISGRACE!!!!!!!!!!

Banned Colt Old Frank will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Nathan Butler
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Hando View Post

Nathan the fundamentally shit product and it's owner's,trainer's driver's etc are what keep this game going, we all can't have a metro horse or a 2.00 horse to race and the one's being punched around on hope as you put it are keeping us all going,after all to most it is a hobby not a profession. I know of people who just like having a horse in work and being able to go to the races with their family and have a day out and yes they know their horse's are no good but it is their choice, that is what make's our industry a good one to be involved in, anyone can have a go .

Exactly Greg and then they can all be the ones who consistently whinge that they can't win a race like the majority do like it's their right to do so.

Same old, same old.
    Last edited by Old Frank; 02-24-2012 at 11:36 AM.

Banned Colt Old Frank will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Nathan Butler
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post

To say you couldn't give a shit about C0 racing reveals you are like all of us looking for the better stock, but just a touch of naivety in not acknowledging they all have to start somewhere.
    No Dan unfortunately we we will still have to agree to disagree.

I personally am not an advocate for 2yr old racing. If I had a good one who could, great, but personally I am of the thinking to give them time and start them at 3.

Therefore in relation to beginning at a CO level, I figure I have my 2 x 3yo class races and then as I recall (certainly been a while since I nominated), my horse becomes a CO class pacer (please correct me if I am wrong?). Yes I understand I could still race in 3yr old class where the conditions were open to a 3yr old with multiple wins, higher class race etc.

If once in this CO-C1 level type grade and my horse is struggling to win, win with ease and relatively consistently, I have to question as to whether I have a potential metro class horse.

I don't give a shit for what the horse does at home and can spin off times etc, etc, it's what it does at the races that counts and therefore, again, if my horse is what I consider struggling to perform at the CO-C1 type level, he/she ain't going to be a metro horse. I've seen plenty of trackwork champions.

Now that's not to say it won't get to an M0 level, it may just take another 3years of punching around to do so. I'm not being naive as you put it, but if I have paid for a horse (let's say a $10,000 yearling), broken in and training fees for a full 3 years, I'm at about $30,000 approx. (I'm being kind on costs), yet I've probably only banked with my 2 3yr old wins, a CO and C1 win, what, say $15,000 (at best) Heaven forbid if you pay up for the further 3yrs on the hope of winning it's M0!

That's called losing a lot of money. Yes horses cost money and I get all the passion/hobby advocates, I've done it previously, but if you lost consistently like that, your not being naive, your plain stupid.

Hence my point why I'm not interested in the CO class racing and potential adjustements etc to grading, as if my horse is good enough, I am of the opinion that it will win money up in it's grades. Again if I feel this horse isn't going to be at the level I want to race at, then I'll move it on, no problems. I'm not obligated to keep punching it around with the masses to make up fields, that's called good money over bad. If people want to advocate C0 racing and consistently punch around rubbish, be my guest but it's not for me is all I'm saying.
    Last edited by Old Frank; 02-24-2012 at 11:42 AM.

Senior Member Colt clumsy will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Greg Snudden
    Nathan I understand your situation, as a country owner from the Riverina the horses you sell are usually suitable in our area. I like to buy CO horses from big stables that are performing well but are struggling to win, only buy horses that have run a place and have gone faster than 2.00 on a 1000m track. You can usually buy these well bred horses for 8000/12000 and they do an excellent job on our tracks. Usually buy from Victoria.

Senior Member 3YO Mitch will become famous soon enough Mitch's Avatar
    Real Name
    Mitch Lenaghan
    Nathan i am trying to make sense of everything you are quite passionately posting.

Are you suggesting that we scrap lower class racing all together? If so please explain how this will improve the standard of racing or the 'product of racing' as you call it.

Are you suggesting that having more top class, stakes performing horses will result in greater industry participation from all perspectives? That is how I interpret it.... If so please elaborate on how that will be so?

Help me understand your analogy of the computer industry and the harness industry because I don't get it?

Junior Member Weanling mo cushla will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    stuart watt
    Occupation
    Breeder
    Getting back to 2yo fillies, if you fluke getting a good one then you can run in the Bathurst Gold Crown on the 31st of March and then travel down to Melbourne and back up at Bendigo on the 7th of April for APG heats. Just another example of the lack of planning shown by the administrators.

Super Moderator Stallion mango will become famous soon enough mango's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dallas Harvey
    Occupation
    Shift Operator
    Horses
    G R We There Yet, Crowea
    Quote Originally Posted by mo cushla View Post
    Getting back to 2yo fillies, if you fluke getting a good one then you can run in the Bathurst Gold Crown on the 31st of March and then travel down to Melbourne and back up at Bendigo on the 7th of April for APG heats. Just another example of the lack of planning shown by the administrators.
    Hi Stuart

As there are a lot of fillies who are also eligible for the N.S.W Breeder's Challenge/Vicbred Super Series they same thing happens, N.S.W Breeders final is on the 24/6 and the Vicbred semi's on the 29/6.

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by mango View Post
    Hi Stuart

As there are a lot of fillies who are also eligible for the N.S.W Breeder's Challenge/Vicbred Super Series they same thing happens, N.S.W Breeders final is on the 24/6 and the Vicbred semi's on the 29/6.
    Which begs the question...why are they eligible for both.
    But the worst programming of all must surely go to the 4yos. There isn't as many feature races as 2yo and 3yos so I can understand the odd clash in those, but theres only a handful of features for 4yos yet they still seem to clash.

Member Yearling Daryl New will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Daryl New
    Occupation
    horse trainer
    Nathan
    It is quite simple If you dont like CO racing dont bet on it. Re age racing I nave belted my head against a brick wall with Admin of NSWHRC re this subject. Age racing at all tracks is a must with suitable backs on the races. Age racing died for ever when the Sires Stakes were phased out in this State and replaced with a series open to all. The lifeblood of the sport is appropriate remuneration for effort . Just look at the growth of Trotters with the revised Prizemoney distribution for them. It seems everyone has at least one now.

i was devastated when one of my mares threw a filly last year, and anyone who knows me I love fillies, but unless she is exceptional her life as a race horse is short. Has broken in well though so there is a smallray of sunshine.
    Am concerned about centralised programming given how the acceptance system works. Nominate under the details of the programme to find after acceptances the conditions have changed. Who really makes decisions about the horses we breed, own and train.
    Thrown a lot of other things in there so return to topic, YES races for fillies of all ages, But dont forget the 3yo and 4yo particularly Metre level get my support

Senior Member Horse Of The Year broncobrad has a spectacular aura about
    Real Name
    Brad Leach
    Jamie, was looking at some of harness racing at Vincennes in France last night and be assured, I am no fan of it. You gallop once and your out, DQ'd and bugger off.
    Don't know the first thing about European harness and I don't know if it was a big/special meeting, but I could not help notice the number of fillies and mares that were competing, huge. One race was specifically for 5yo mares (and decent prizemoney). That may be another option for you if you wish to prolong some of your girls racing careers. But, I am sure you would be more well versed than I on this topic.

Senior Member Stallion Triple V will become famous soon enough Triple V's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist
    I really don't know a whole lot about it myself Brad. You've touched on a verging on age old question though.
    I've heard a lot of theories and at times from some very learned/old heads but none of them have ever really properly/fully explained why female Trotters seem to have a far better record when competing against their male counterparts than do female pacers when they're dropped in against their boys.
    As far as the reason why there are so many fillies/mares competing in France, hazzarding a pretty fair old guess that it is twofold.
    Firstly, it's obvious the French realise & appreciate that approximately 50% of the annual foal crop is comprised of fillies/mares & secondly, I understand they currently have somewhat of an over-supply problem when it comes to foals bred versus numbers required to fill their fields.
    In response to that I assume they're encouraging the fillies/mares to race on as opposed to them being retired to the breeding barn.
    It is somewhat like the current Australian Federal Government is doing everything they can to keep High School Students at school as opposed to them leaving in year 10 & ending up adding to the Youth Unemployed figures.
    The difference between the two is that the motives of the French in keeping their fillies & mares racing on for longer are without any shadow of a doubt totally altruistic in nature, I am certain that mean well, very much so.
    On the other hand, those of the current Federal Government re: 16yo+ students remaining at school for longer & so essentially orbiting the halls in a holding pattern...well, let's just say that they are very questionable to say the least. Cop that Bill Shorten.

+ Reply to Thread