Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Where's the love gone?

Banned Colt Old Frank will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Nathan Butler

Where's the love gone?

Where's the love gone fella's between M.Purdon and John Curtin/The Reactor syndicate?

Why isn't Mark going to drive AR in the final should it make it (it's a given) and the great one, A.Herilihy to jump on?

I mean Mark made it known in the media he didn't want the horse to go to Perth in the original instance and wanted it to stay home and concentrate on Auckland. He claimed the horse was "tired" and yet, within the next week, was over ridden and with the horse on the plane to Perth with a seeya later alligator!

Mark's in an awkward position, if the horse was "tired" as he stated, that means he got it home from Melbourne to Christchurch, would have done nothing more than simple jog work for 3-4 days to keep him ticking over whilst resting through the day and then hasn't sighted the horse since and potentially will be crowned as 'training' an ID winner with touching it for the best part of 4 weeks!

I can't believe Mark wouldn't of at least wanted to drive it in the final, however I can't stop thinking there's no love there as Curtin came out in the article claiming AH was first pick!

Is Curtin and the syndicate dirty that Mark voiced his negativity to the horse going in the first place and then citing commitments to his team pending the Auckland carnival that begins a week later?

You can't tell me that Mark couldn't have flown there and back on the Friday/Saturday missing only the Saturday work at home with his team due to time differences? I mean after all, we are talking the ID GF, not an R10+ or better at Byford! (No offence Byford, just using the name as an example)

There's got to be more to it than just "committments" at home.

No love fellas, no love!
    Last edited by Old Frank; 02-24-2012 at 04:03 PM.

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year teecee has a spectacular aura about teecee's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tony Cahill
    The ID Final is on the same night as GN Derby heats and first night of the Auckland Cup carnival.
    Mark will have upwards of 20 horses racing that night. There are plenty of other driver options for the ONE drive in Perth.
    Even during the will he, wont he go saga for the horse there had never been any intention of Mark going to Perth with the horse at any time. He has chosen to stay home and supervise this large team on an important night for the Payne / Purdon stable.
    These are the meetings they are in business for. It's fair enough for him to look after this team and their owners when no love is lost with the AR camp. Mark has always had the FULL support from JC with whatever option he chose for both the horse and his own plans.
    I'm sure when Auckland Reactor comes home he will come back to his own box at AllStars Lodge rather than any other trainer.

Real Name
    Nathan Butler
    What, and claim that Mark trained the winner of an ID without touching it for 4 weeks! Great work if you can get it.

Against that, by your comments, what an ID GF isn't the type of meeting Mark's in business for?
    Last edited by Old Frank; 02-24-2012 at 09:21 PM.

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year teecee has a spectacular aura about teecee's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tony Cahill
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Frank View Post
    What and claim that Mark trained the winner of an ID without touching it for 4 weeks! Great work if you can get it.
    I guess I have travelled around the world caring for the horses officially trained by my employers. I got the dress rugs from the winners. They got the training wins next to their names. What's new there. IF Mr Feelgood won l MC would be the trainer while J MC did all the work.

Against that, by your comments, what an ID GF isn't the type of meeting Mark's in business for?
    Of course it is but on the night you are talking One race against likely 10 - 12 races. and losing nothing on driver ability.!!!

Real Name
    Nathan Butler
    Quote Originally Posted by teecee View Post

Of course it is but on the night you are talking One race against likely 10 - 12 races. and losing nothing on driver ability.!!!

Did I touch a nerve there for you or something Tony?

Or is just your need to emphasise!!! when making your points?

And yes, you make the valid point re; Mr Feelgood (He's not going good enough in my opinion to win, although anything can happen in Finals - digressing though)

Real Name
    Tony Cahill
    No just trying to separate the quote from reply.
    I often have trouble separating the different parts of a post.

Real Name
    Nathan Butler
    Quote Originally Posted by teecee View Post

No just trying to separate the quote from reply.
    I often have trouble separating the different parts of a post.
    Hahaha, no probs mate. I would have thought as a 'Super Doopa' moderator though, you'd have things like that down pat!

Administrator 3YO admin will become famous soon enough admin's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jules Boven
    Occupation
    Marketing Manager
    Horses
    Charge Forward
    I haven't got this from the official source, but that sounds like a lot of speculation to me. Mark's a top bloke and as far as I'm aware John feels the same.
    Please read the rules before posting.

Harnesslink Marketing Manager

Real Name
    Nathan Butler
    Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post

I haven't got this from the official source, but that sounds like a lot of speculation to me. Mark's a top bloke and as far as I'm aware John feels the same.
    It is speculation per say Jules. It was my reading into different angles from different stories released, looking at things from a different perspective and hence asking the question so to speak. I wasn't quoting anyone's particular comments, more so inferences.

You are right - Mark is a top bloke, that is without question. His brother Barry is a champion also and one of the nicest blokes I've had the pleasure of meeting.

I'll agree to disagree with both yourself Jules and Tony's defence of the Purdon/Curtin relationship in relation to AR. All I'll say is I have my extreme doubts.
    Last edited by Old Frank; 02-24-2012 at 07:10 PM.

Senior Member Stallion Triple V will become famous soon enough Triple V's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist
    I heard a story, one which though I cannot confirm is nonetheless worth the re-telling.
    Apparently Mark & Nat were at a Macca's in Canterbury when Mark noticed a life sized Ronald McDonald in the kids playground. He then said to Nat... "Hey Nat, look over there, geeze that looks like John Curtin only I reckon that Ronald's hair is holding up a lot better than John's is". It would have been all well and good, nobody would ever have known, but unfortunately the bloke whacking into a double quarter pounder meal at the next table not only overheard the comment, he was a NZ harness racing fan & he happened to be an old school mate of John's.
    He duly got on the phone and told John what Mark had said. Deeply hurt by yet another unkind comparison with Ronald McDonald...and by way of seeking some level of retribution, John then asked that Tim Butt replace Mark as the driver of Auckland Reactor for duration of the WA ID Carnival.
    Remember, you heard it here first.

+ Reply to Thread