Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Worlds" Best Racing Carnival.

Senior Member 2YO Harold Parker is an unknown quantity at this point
    Real Name
    Robert Parker

The "Worlds" Best Racing Carnival.

I've been fortunate in the last decade or so to of spent a couple of three year blocks in the EU and the US for work. I've attended pretty much any major racing carnival you can think of.

Gallops wise I've done all the English majors including the jumps, the Arc in France, Ireland twice and one trip to Germany. In the US I've done the Derby twice and four Breeders Cups. Dubai is on the bucket list : )

I'm a Harness Racing fan first and foremost and when I lived in the States I was only 15 mins from Yonkers and an easy trip to the Meadowlands so I've done all the majors at both venues, I've been to the Jug twice and driven to Baltimore, Dover, Florida, Illinois and one trip to Canada for a meeting or three.

My point is I believe I've a good understanding of what makes a truly great racing carnival and I believe Harness Racing NSW could have at least the best Harness Racing Carnival in the World.

As is the case in nearly all of the major carnivals in the EU and US it would need to coincide with the school holidays and with Menangle being out in the sticks, land could be set aside both inside the track and surrounding areas for caravans and cabins etc as well as a place for a show with rides etc

I'd have it at Easter (not too hot not too cold), so why not an Easter Show to take on "the" Easter Show. How many locals out that way make the trip to Homebush to get ripped off every year ? Bring the Easter Show to them and other families who will make the trip not only for the Easter Show as well as those who come to town for what is a little over a week long Harness Racing Carnival.

As for the racing, here goes...

Friday : ID Heats, Derby Heats.
    Monday : ID Heats, Ladyship Mile, Oaks Heats.
    Thursday : ID Heats, Chariots of Fire.
    Sunday : ID Final, Derby, Oaks.

I'd also have :

Trotting Classic. 2 Heats on the Thursday? with the final on Sunday.
    MO-M1 2 Heats + Final.
    M2-M5? 2 Heats + Final.
    C1-C4 2 Heats + Final.
    + 1 race on each day for Country trained horses who qualified in the bush.

I also like the idea of an invitation race on Grand Final Day open for the first two home in the mares race, first two in the Chariots of Fire with the remaining spots filled by horses who just missed a place in the ID Final. How does 100K sound ? as well as a consolation for 17th+ carrying the equiv prize money of an ID Heat.

The Friday could be moved forward to the Thursday night if Good Friday is an issue.

I had a few hours to kill on the flight over

Banned Gelding murray green will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    murray green
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold Parker View Post
    I've been fortunate in the last decade or so to of spent a couple of three year blocks in the EU and the US for work. I've attended pretty much any major racing carnival you can think of.

Gallops wise I've done all the English majors including the jumps, the Arc in France, Ireland twice and one trip to Germany. In the US I've done the Derby twice and four Breeders Cups. Dubai is on the bucket list : )

I'm a Harness Racing fan first and foremost and when I lived in the States I was only 15 mins from Yonkers and an easy trip to the Meadowlands so I've done all the majors at both venues, I've been to the Jug twice and driven to Baltimore, Dover, Florida, Illinois and one trip to Canada for a meeting or three.

My point is I believe I've a good understanding of what makes a truly great racing carnival and I believe Harness Racing NSW could have at least the best Harness Racing Carnival in the World.

As is the case in nearly all of the major carnivals in the EU and US it would need to coincide with the school holidays and with Menangle being out in the sticks, land could be set aside both inside the track and surrounding areas for caravans and cabins etc as well as a place for a show with rides etc

I'd have it at Easter (not too hot not too cold), so why not an Easter Show to take on "the" Easter Show. How many locals out that way make the trip to Homebush to get ripped off every year ? Bring the Easter Show to them and other families who will make the trip not only for the Easter Show as well as those who come to town for what is a little over a week long Harness Racing Carnival.

As for the racing, here goes...

Friday : ID Heats, Derby Heats.
    Monday : ID Heats, Ladyship Mile, Oaks Heats.
    Thursday : ID Heats, Chariots of Fire.
    Sunday : ID Final, Derby, Oaks.

I'd also have :

Trotting Classic. 2 Heats on the Thursday? with the final on Sunday.
    MO-M1 2 Heats + Final.
    M2-M5? 2 Heats + Final.
    C1-C4 2 Heats + Final.
    + 1 race on each day for Country trained horses who qualified in the bush.

I also like the idea of an invitation race on Grand Final Day open for the first two home in the mares race, first two in the Chariots of Fire with the remaining spots filled by horses who just missed a place in the ID Final. How does 100K sound ? as well as a consolation for 17th+ carrying the equiv prize money of an ID Heat.

The Friday could be moved forward to the Thursday night if Good Friday is an issue.

I had a few hours to kill on the flight over
    Enjoy your flight .
    But wouldn't that get all the GOOD racing over & done with too soon ?
    What would we have left to enjoy through the remainder of the year ?

Banned Colt Old Frank will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Nathan Butler
    I think your a bastard for having attended so many wonderful meets!

Hahahahaha... Just jokes!

I love the 'carnival' aspect of it, however do we really think the Gallops would allow such a big carnival to potentially impact on their exposure at that time of the year?

They would rule the roost, their carnival at that time of the year get's maximum media exposure and boy oh boy, we'd be fighting our asses off to be heard/seen.

Love the concept of carnivals though bigtime.
    Last edited by Old Frank; 02-24-2012 at 06:30 PM.

Senior Member Stallion Triple V will become famous soon enough Triple V's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist
    I've only got one question for you.
    Why didn't you apply for the position of Chairman on the HRNSW Board?

QUOTE [ As is the case in nearly all of the major carnivals in the EU and US it would need to coincide with the school holidays and with Menangle being out in the sticks, land could be set aside both inside the track and surrounding areas for caravans and cabins etc as well as a place for a show with rides etc
    I'd have it at Easter (not too hot not too cold), so why not an Easter Show to take on "the" Easter Show. How many locals out that way make the trip to Homebush to get ripped off every year ? Bring the Easter Show to them and other families who will make the trip not only for the Easter Show as well as those who come to town for what is a little over a week long Harness Racing Carnival
    .] END QUOTE.

Now THAT'S GOLD! It should be printed out and nailed to the door of every racing admin. person in this State.

Most appreciated Robert.

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year teecee has a spectacular aura about teecee's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tony Cahill
    Cup week in Christchurch is run in November a week after the Melbourne Cup. Kids at school.( best place for them..!!!
    Saturday Gallops, Monday dogs, Tuesday Harness (Cup), Wednesday Gallops, Thursday Dogs / Harness 40 mins to Ashburton, Friday Harness, Saturday Gallops (Cup).
    All codes working in together. Only problem..stretching the betting kitty far enough if it's a bad punting week.

Real Name
    Robert Parker
    Quote Originally Posted by murray green View Post
    Enjoy your flight .
    But wouldn't that get all the GOOD racing over & done with too soon ?
    What would we have left to enjoy through the remainder of the year ?
    As it stands Murray, they're running the ID Final, Ladyship, Derby and Oaks on the ONE day. I'm spreading it over four race meetings in just over a week.

Banned Gelding murray green will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    murray green
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold Parker View Post
    As it stands Murray, they're running the ID Final, Ladyship, Derby and Oaks on the ONE day. I'm spreading it over four race meetings in just over a week.
    Yep get ya......fair enough then. Get in touch with Sam or John or Rex or someone that will listen.
    Ive thought further on this & It could happen.

Real Name
    Robert Parker
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Frank View Post
    I think your a bastard for having attended so many wonderful meets!

Hahahahaha... Just jokes!

I love the 'carnival' aspect of it, however do we really think the Gallops would allow such a big carnival to potentially impact on their exposure at that time of the year?

They would rule the roost, their carnival at that time of the year get's maximum media exposure and boy oh boy, we'd be fighting our asses off to be heard/seen.

Love the concept of carnivals though bigtime.
    The gallops can kiss my hairy hindquarters : )

Every Friday and Saturday night there's one or two gallops meetings. It really pisses me off when I've got to switch between Sky 1 & 2 because of a race at the Valley, Canterbury or the Sunshine Coast.

Not sure if any of you guys have been to the gallops lately ? I've been to Randwick a couple of times since I've returned from the States and they don't give a toss any longer about attracting families. They're all about the bucks and hens night piss upathons. Harness Racing could absolutely steal it away from them by having a great Carnival of Racing, Easter Show etc geared to the family. Menangle is 2 hours away from Randwick in traffic, City folk aren't coming anyway.

Real Name
    Robert Parker
    Dunno if you guys watched the short film re the Cup and Saucer in Canada. I've not been to it but Delaware is similar albeit on a bigger scale.

Menangle could very much eclipse the Jug etc and have a world class racing event and they've the real estate out there to do it. Most of the carnivals above cost an arm and a leg to go to. Royal Ascot seriously for the 5 days in accommodation nearby set you back 2K easy before you've had a bet. It's way beyond the means of the average punter. I've not been to the Spring Carnival for 15 years at least, I bet it's the same now. They could very much make Menangle an affordable and viable Easter Holidays option for families.

The thing is as well, once enterprises get a sniff of how big something like this could be, they'll jump over themselves to have their product or services involved.

It just takes a little courage and initiative.

Real Name
    Robert Parker
    HRNSW, think of the sponsorship opportunities. One race meeting with the lot limits your potential. 9-10 days worth is gold.

Channel 10 on a Sunday do 5 hours of Iron Men and Woman every couple of weeks. Championship Sunday from Menangle on Network 10 ... I like : )

+ Reply to Thread