Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by mightymo View Post
    I dont dispute that turnover is down or that Fri night was better. However, I think you underestimate the amount that is being bet on fixed odds. It is huge...
    Agree entirely Harvey, but the moment we went to Saturdays at Menangle the turnover dropped off, it seems too much of a coincidence that all of that lost turnover went to the corporates.

Senior Member 3YO Gtrain has a spectacular aura about Gtrain's Avatar
    Real Name
    Grant Train
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Agree entirely Harvey, but the moment we went to Saturdays at Menangle the turnover dropped off, it seems too much of a coincidence that all of that lost turnover went to the corporates.
    I dont think Harvey is saying all this money goes to corporates. There has been a drastic increase in the number of races covered by TAB Fixed Odds and the industry recieves a far smaller kick back out of this turnover.

Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Horses
    No Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtrain View Post
    I dont think Harvey is saying all this money goes to corporates. There has been a drastic increase in the number of races covered by TAB Fixed Odds and the industry recieves a far smaller kick back out of this turnover.
    Thanks Grant, in that case was the greater number of TAB fixed odds races implemented at the same time Menangle went to Saturdays?

I know I was watching Menangles turnover fairly closely during the change to saturdays as, being from the Hunter I was a bit ticked off we lost our Saturday meetings to Menangle ( which we had been PUSHED to 25 years ago) after spending all these years making Saturdays work for us.

Menangle is not holding anything like it used to on Fridays and if thats because the TAB has changed its strategy on fixed odds or for whatever reason then wouldn't you think the people in HRNSW would be up to admitting it's not working and do a rethink instead of watching turnover go down the gurgler?

Senior Member Horse Of The Year mightymo will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Harvey Kaplan
    Horses
    Bling It On, Nike Franco, Cruz Bromac
    Thanks Grant, in that case was the greater number of TAB fixed odds races implemented at the same time Menangle went to Saturdays?

I know I was watching Menangles turnover fairly closely during the change to saturdays as, being from the Hunter I was a bit ticked off we lost our Saturday meetings to Menangle ( which we had been PUSHED to 25 years ago) after spending all these years making Saturdays work for us.

Menangle is not holding anything like it used to on Fridays and if thats because the TAB has changed its strategy on fixed odds or for whatever reason then wouldn't you think the people in HRNSW would be up to admitting it's not working and do a rethink instead of watching turnover go down the gurgler?
    the whole turnover thing is getting worse as the pools get smaller, anybody wanting to have more than a $10 bet is taking fixed odds as otherwise they affect the dividend.

The reality is that these days the maount of people that are in the TAB having a bet is vastly down on what it used to be. Instead, people are at home and betting over the internet, and in most cases they are taking fixed odds.

Senior Member Colt clumsy will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Greg Snudden
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Hando View Post
    Back on track
    State wide losing 54 meeting's
    Metro incl Bulli and HRNSW@TPC 18,Bankstown-11 down from 20 & 21
    Hunter and north west - 4 - 2 each from Newc and Tam
    Western District's - 10 - Dubbo 3,Orange 2 and Parkes 5
    South West & Riverina - 9- Junee 3, Temora 3,Wagga 3 and Young 2
    But gaining 2 extra at Goulburn.
    Goulburn is being classed as 1/2 Metro and 1/2 South west and Riverina gaining 2 in 2013 from 8 to 10
    "Newcastle Saturday night Mr Sam Nati will officially launch Maxi Trots. An initiative aimed at keeping adolescents in the sport, educating them to drive in a racing situation and boosting driver numbers for the future."
    These restricted meetings they are getting rid of are the meetings that hold the mini trots & maxi trots. they are the meetings supported by the families for a night or day out, you can't have it both ways Sam you either cater for these kids or they go elswehere.

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by clumsy View Post
    "Newcastle Saturday night Mr Sam Nati will officially launch Maxi Trots. An initiative aimed at keeping adolescents in the sport, educating them to drive in a racing situation and boosting driver numbers for the future."
    These restricted meetings they are getting rid of are the meetings that hold the mini trots & maxi trots. they are the meetings supported by the families for a night or day out, you can't have it both ways Sam you either cater for these kids or they go elswehere.
    Not aimed at you clumsy, but everybody wants to whinge and whine when things go wrong (and understandably so) but nobody wants to applaud things when they go right - eg when I started a thread about the Maxi trots a couple of months ago not one person replied.

Senior Member 3YO Gtrain has a spectacular aura about Gtrain's Avatar
    Real Name
    Grant Train
    [QUOTE=Danno;18557]Thanks Grant, in that case was the greater number of TAB fixed odds races implemented at the same time Menangle went to Saturdays?

Hey Danno,
    Im not certain as to the exact timing of TAB's increase in Fixed Odds gambling but I have been told that on Harness racing meeting where fixed odds are offered by the TAB turnover through fixed odds sits regularly around 25% of the win pool. The percentage of this turnover that gets put back into the industry is less than one third of the amount through regular TAB pool gambling. This is clearly an issue needing addressing. IMO (warning, bold prediction coming) Fixed odds gambling will soon eclipse TAB pool wagering.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year mightymo will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Harvey Kaplan
    Horses
    Bling It On, Nike Franco, Cruz Bromac
    Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    How much exactly Harvey? When this was discussed on harnesslist, the consensus was that TAB fixed odds turnover is around 15% of tote win pool turnover. Do you think that number is incorrect now?
    I think(and am very confident) that that number is VERY low...

Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Horses
    No Stars
    [QUOTE=Gtrain;18593]

Hey Danno,
    Im not certain as to the exact timing of TAB's increase in Fixed Odds gambling but I have been told that on Harness racing meeting where fixed odds are offered by the TAB turnover through fixed odds sits regularly around 25% of the win pool. The percentage of this turnover that gets put back into the industry is less than one third of the amount through regular TAB pool gambling. This is clearly an issue needing addressing. IMO (warning, bold prediction coming) Fixed odds gambling will soon eclipse TAB pool wagering.
    Thanks for the info Grant and Harvey, the TAB has lived up to it's rep...been carefully ripping the nightie off for decades and decades...doesn't stop them wingeing either, pretty soon they'll tell us they can't afford to cover trots at all and watch us try to paddle up shit creek then. They've had us by the short and curlies for too long and things are only deteriorating.

Junior Member Yearling William will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    William Child
    Quote Originally Posted by mightymo View Post
    I think(and am very confident) that that number is VERY low...
    OK thanks Harvey. I hope that you are right about that. The overall turnover figures including Betfair and corporates would be very interesting.

+ Reply to Thread