Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: What's Our Future in NSW

Senior Member 3YO strong persuader has a spectacular aura about strong persuader's Avatar
    Real Name
    Phil Bourke
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Hando View Post
    Back on track
    State wide losing 54 meeting's
    Metro incl Bulli and HRNSW@TPC 18,Bankstown-11 down from 20 & 21
    Hunter and north west - 4 - 2 each from Newc and Tam
    Western District's - 10 - Dubbo 3,Orange 2 and Parkes 5
    South West & Riverina - 9- Junee 3, Temora 3,Wagga 3 and Young 2
    But gaining 2 extra at Goulburn.
    Goulburn is being classed as 1/2 Metro and 1/2 South west and Riverina gaining 2 in 2013 from 8 to 10
    Hard to see the justification in Dubbo and Parkes being reduced, both good tracks in the heart of a good horse territory. Orange seemed to be overcatered to with an allocation of five meetings per year, and still get to hold 3 meetings a year when compared to the other tracks in the area that have to make do with 2!
    I don't know of the conditions within the other areas so can't comment on them.
    Warning: Horses are expensive, addictive, and may impair the ability to use common sense.

Senior Member 3YO strong persuader has a spectacular aura about strong persuader's Avatar
    Real Name
    Phil Bourke
    Quote Originally Posted by tiny View Post
    I sorry that most of you don't like what i’m saying. Harness racing is facing some tough times ahead and at the end of the day harness racing is a business and the racing is the product they sell. It is simple if harness racing doesn't grow its betting turnover, it will go bust. I can understand the emotion attached.
    The comment by Daryl New that if you don’t like it don’t bet on it, is not good enough. Betting turnover can’t grow if the punters don’t like the product. So It is more of a case if you don’t like it its got to improve or be got rid of.
    Daryl also wrote don’t bag the people that make up the fields and this only highlights the problem, if there are people or horses that are only going around week in week out to make up numbers is a problem. No one will back a horse they have never herd of with bad form that is trained a driven by some bloke that has a nine to five job and drives or trains a horse after work. Get half a dozen of these in a race and the punter doesn’t punt.
    As a punter there are four things I follow, Horses, trainers, drivers and form if I look at a race and don’t know any names and nothing obvious in the form you don’t punt.
    In recent time harness racing has had its share of integrity issues again causing a lack of trust in the product. Because the industry is so large and fragmented makes it hard to be correctly regulated.
    I have wrote this before but the number of trainers must be reduced if harness racing had 10 trainers in Sydney with about 70-80 horses each regulation would be simple there would be better name recognition and plenty of quality horses to make up fields. The same can be said about drivers although more than ten are required.
    As much as it is a hard decision to make it is for the better of the sport and doing away with the restricted meetings is a good one and a good step towards a stronger future.
    The comment I made earlier about the Bulli race was wrong in the way it targeted one person but the point was all drivers have shockers but the part time ones have more than the ones that drive all the time.
    PS sorry about the spelling I was never very good at it. But must also add I have never commented on anyone’s spelling ever. So I can’t spell but I’m not a hypocrite.
    This old chestnut gets tossed around about every 8 years.

I recall it being brought up in the late 70's about what drivers should be allowed to drive at Harold Park as the punting public didn't know these drivers who came to town once in a while and sometimes didn't perform at the level they were used to. When I first started in the game, I can recall some old timers telling me that there was a time when putting AD Turnbull on your horse ensured that it was 4 points longer in the betting! Can't vouch for the accuracy of that statement, as at that time AD was at the top of his game and all us newcomers looked at him to see how it should be done.

Even now, would Luke McCarthy now be where he is if his grandfather or father hadn't done the hard yards, I think that they would both admit to butchering a few drives as they polished their skills. (The pun is deliberate )

I think that every now and then people forget that standardbreds aren't thoroughbreds and want to emulate the 'Sport of Kings' for what reason I cannot fathom. Trotting has always been the sport of the tradesmen and farmers and families that didn't have the financial clout or desire to hobnob with the Turf crowd. Trotting has always been regarded as the 2nd choice form of horse racing and probably always will be. I think Jack Honan once explained his love of trotting as that it was normal people participating, that in the turf world anyone who had a bit of success wanted to put on a derby hat and a tie and walk around with their nose in the air. I know that I have probably misquoted him, but I think that was the essence of his statement. This will always be the charm of trotting, even the big guns acknowledge the battler, because it will be the battler that will be trying to beat him next time out and on occassions the battler is going to have the better horse or get the better run. I can recall an occassion when Steve Turnbull once jokingly complained about the fact that I was always trying to beat him after I had run about four seconds to his charges with one of our horses. I then complained back that I was tired of him always having one too good for us to beat. And that is how it works, the big guns know the little guns, everyone respects each other, everyone tries their damnedest to win, and that should excite the punters, because if they see a part time trainer/driver engaged in a field and the horse seems half decent, they can punt with confidence that it will be trying its best. True there will be times when the part time driver will get out driven or make a bit of blue that costs them the win, but that is balanced by the fact that when they do get it right, the dividend is usually higher because of that acknowledged form difference.

So if you want to have racing where there are only professional trainers and professional drivers........switch to the thoroughbreds and don't complain when you have spent your fortune and don't have any friends. If you want to enjoy your time with horses and make friends that will be there forever, stay in harness racing and enjoy the success any battler gets, because one day it will be you in the spotlight and they will be quick to enjoy yours. Plus you may still have half your fortune to leave to the kids!
    Warning: Horses are expensive, addictive, and may impair the ability to use common sense.

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by strong persuader View Post
    This old chestnut gets tossed around about every 8 years.

I recall it being brought up in the late 70's about what drivers should be allowed to drive at Harold Park as the punting public didn't know these drivers who came to town once in a while and sometimes didn't perform at the level they were used to. When I first started in the game, I can recall some old timers telling me that there was a time when putting AD Turnbull on your horse ensured that it was 4 points longer in the betting! Can't vouch for the accuracy of that statement, as at that time AD was at the top of his game and all us newcomers looked at him to see how it should be done.

Even now, would Luke McCarthy now be where he is if his grandfather or father hadn't done the hard yards, I think that they would both admit to butchering a few drives as they polished their skills. (The pun is deliberate )

I think that every now and then people forget that standardbreds aren't thoroughbreds and want to emulate the 'Sport of Kings' for what reason I cannot fathom. Trotting has always been the sport of the tradesmen and farmers and families that didn't have the financial clout or desire to hobnob with the Turf crowd. Trotting has always been regarded as the 2nd choice form of horse racing and probably always will be. I think Jack Honan once explained his love of trotting as that it was normal people participating, that in the turf world anyone who had a bit of success wanted to put on a derby hat and a tie and walk around with their nose in the air. I know that I have probably misquoted him, but I think that was the essence of his statement. This will always be the charm of trotting, even the big guns acknowledge the battler, because it will be the battler that will be trying to beat him next time out and on occassions the battler is going to have the better horse or get the better run. I can recall an occassion when Steve Turnbull once jokingly complained about the fact that I was always trying to beat him after I had run about four seconds to his charges with one of our horses. I then complained back that I was tired of him always having one too good for us to beat. And that is how it works, the big guns know the little guns, everyone respects each other, everyone tries their damnedest to win, and that should excite the punters, because if they see a part time trainer/driver engaged in a field and the horse seems half decent, they can punt with confidence that it will be trying its best. True there will be times when the part time driver will get out driven or make a bit of blue that costs them the win, but that is balanced by the fact that when they do get it right, the dividend is usually higher because of that acknowledged form difference.

So if you want to have racing where there are only professional trainers and professional drivers........switch to the thoroughbreds and don't complain when you have spent your fortune and don't have any friends. If you want to enjoy your time with horses and make friends that will be there forever, stay in harness racing and enjoy the success any battler gets, because one day it will be you in the spotlight and they will be quick to enjoy yours. Plus you may still have half your fortune to leave to the kids!
    Nicely put Sir.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Toohard will become famous soon enough Toohard's Avatar
    Real Name
    Paul Humphreys
    Horses
    PalaisDuLouvre,Trip 7s, AnythingForLove
    Spot on Phil !

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    I reckon that's the post of the year so far Phil, you couldn't have put the facts any better than that.
    Cheers,

Dan

Senior Member Horse Of The Year broncobrad has a spectacular aura about
    Real Name
    Brad Leach
    Phil, can we post that everytime Tiny and Harold Parker makes that call for professional drivers/trainers.

Some people don't understand why we get so dirty if someone is cheating. Its because most participants are decent, hardworking and honest. Most are from a working background or reside in rural areas. A night at the trots is a coming together of the community in the bush. The big nights are great. Well attended. Very social.

Compare that to what already exists at Menangle. Give me the bush anyday. Great post and great pun. You should be the publicity officer at Blayney if you aren't already.

Senior Member Colt clumsy will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Greg Snudden
    Well done Phil, people like you are what this sport is all about. May Blayney trots continue to prosper.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year broncobrad has a spectacular aura about
    Real Name
    Brad Leach
    I'm a bit behind the times, only just discovered Parkes was on tonight, and I see the Dumesny family are being honoured for their involvement in harness racing, especially at Parkes over the years - a lot of the recognition centred on their voluntary efforts for the Parkes club. Congratulations to all concerned.. the heart and soul of all the smaller clubs owes their existence to the tireless work of volunteers, usually unsung and seeking no recognition at all. The club has a proud existence because of the selfless work of people of their ilk. Shame HRNSW has seen fit to knock 2 meetings off them.

Tonights tribute comes hot on the heels of the Bathurst club who recently recognised the contribution of the Hando family a few weeks ago for their involvement in the breeding industry/related involvement over the decades.

I might have rose coloured glasses on, but I really hope the sport gets through the shit that decent people have had to put up with relating to the ongoing scandal and starts taking steps forward in coming months. These type of people are the backbone of harness racing and while they are in the game, the future of NSW harness will eventually be assured.

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by broncobrad View Post
    I'm a bit behind the times, only just discovered Parkes was on tonight, and I see the Dumesny family are being honoured for their involvement in harness racing, especially at Parkes over the years - a lot of the recognition centred on their voluntary efforts for the Parkes club. Congratulations to all concerned.. the heart and soul of all the smaller clubs owes their existence to the tireless work of volunteers, usually unsung and seeking no recognition at all. The club has a proud existence because of the selfless work of people of their ilk. Shame HRNSW has seen fit to knock 2 meetings off them.

Tonights tribute comes hot on the heels of the Bathurst club who recently recognised the contribution of the Hando family a few weeks ago for their involvement in the breeding industry/related involvement over the decades.

I might have rose coloured glasses on, but I really hope the sport gets through the shit that decent people have had to put up with relating to the ongoing scandal and starts taking steps forward in coming months. These type of people are the backbone of harness racing and while they are in the game, the future of NSW harness will eventually be assured.
    Yep Bathurst have a Gold Crown honouree each year, most clubs have a volunteer of the year and NSW has its own volunteer of the year award.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Greg Hando will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Greg Hando
    Found out tonight Peak Hill with no meeting's this year not sure whether it is a funding issue or not .Parkes and Dubbo have the date's when Peak used to race .
    Have whoever you want on but don't ever have yourself on

+ Reply to Thread