Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Prizemoney

Member Yearling geoffkel will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Geoff Parsons

Prizemoney

With today's announcement that prizemoney in Vic Gallops is going up today due mainly to the new Tabcorp Licence when can we expect HRV to announce a prizemoney increase for Harness Racing.

I won't be holding my breath!!!! An absolute disgrace that we are still running around for $5,000 country class races!!!!

Banned Filly little fish will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Username deleted
    Is it all dependent on turnover? people rave about the dogs but a dog race is 30 secs they can slot 50 of them in between big race and trot cards all day long and catch the punters who are just doing mysteries or pressing 'next event' on the terminals.

What does trots need to do to get people interested in punting on it more?
    Last edited by teecee; 02-28-2012 at 03:45 PM.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year The Form Student will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Steve Carter
    Occupation
    Astral Projectionist
    Horses
    Rocket Glenfern, Tudor Royal, Manaroa,
    Quote Originally Posted by little fish View Post
    Is it all dependent on turnover? people rave about the dogs but a dog race is 30 secs they can slot 50 of them in between big race and trot cards all day long and catch the punters who are just doing mysteries or pressing 'next event' on the terminals.

I wonder if the close up shots of the NZ trots races have had any effect on betting turnover over there?
    Last edited by teecee; 02-28-2012 at 07:44 PM.

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by little fish View Post

Short attention span 800m races. To make it fair so it isn't leaders paradise 1000m straight tracks, momentum from the mobile.
    Would I still like the sport? Probably not.
    Last edited by teecee; 02-28-2012 at 03:47 PM.

Real Name
    Steve Carter
    Occupation
    Astral Projectionist
    Horses
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiebreno View Post
    Short attention span 800m races. To make it fair so it isn't leaders paradise 1000m straight tracks, momentum from the mobile.
    Would I still like the sport? Probably not.
    Everybody seems to forget, all we had in the "old days" was small tracks and that was the attraction, people went to meetings, in their thousands, I remember in the 1970's there were over 100 bookmakers at Bankstown trots, now it looks like it is on borrowed times. We had bigger pools than what we have now........too much competition from other forms of racing plus sports betting, Sky channel to watch the races and footy etc. The Business Plan to have bigger tracks, cut away rails etc. is a load of rubbish........Where the cutaways now exist(thankfully not in NSW) the races are run differently altogether, drivers know the horse behind will get a free shot after the turn, and must balance this against the swoopers coming home out wide......I see more horses get a free rails run at Menangle than anywhere else!.........I am off the topic......but I think it is time there was an industry referendum and consultation process from the participants........as to where we are going.........not to be dictated to!......We have the beautiful big track at Menangle, the ghost town!...........At least at the gallops they have young people going for bucks or hens nights etc........what promotion does Harness Racing Do? No.1 club is a good initiative..........but we need more!!! I am off subject but I can't help it!

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by The Form Student View Post
    Everybody seems to forget, all we had in the "old days" was small tracks and that was the attraction, people went to meetings, in their thousands, I remember in the 1970's there were over 100 bookmakers at Bankstown trots, now it looks like it is on borrowed times. We had bigger pools than what we have now........too much competition from other forms of racing plus sports betting, Sky channel to watch the races and footy etc. The Business Plan to have bigger tracks, cut away rails etc. is a load of rubbish........Where the cutaways now exist(thankfully not in NSW) the races are run differently altogether, drivers know the horse behind will get a free shot after the turn, and must balance this against the swoopers coming home out wide......I see more horses get a free rails run at Menangle than anywhere else!.........I am off the topic......but I think it is time there was an industry referendum and consultation process from the participants........as to where we are going.........not to be dictated to!......We have the beautiful big track at Menangle, the ghost town!...........At least at the gallops they have young people going for bucks or hens nights etc........what promotion does Harness Racing Do? No.1 club is a good initiative..........but we need more!!! I am off subject but I can't help it!
    That's what I mean, short attention span. Gen Y or whatever you old farts call us . The races take too long or are too boring is one major whinge.

Real Name
    Steve Carter
    Occupation
    Astral Projectionist
    Horses
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiebreno View Post
    That's what I mean, short attention span. Gen Y or whatever you old farts call us . The races take too long or are too boring is one major whinge.
    They all watch the Melbourne Cup!......it takes approx 3 minutes 15 seconds................I don't think it counts!
    The problem is the big track at Menangle, they don't get a smany changes happening in races like the 700-1000 metre tracks........no wonder people fall asleep!

Member Yearling geoffkel will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Geoff Parsons
    That is my biggest gripe with big tracks, boring racing, even the big races up there are boring to watch. Whereas you watch Gloucester Park on a weekly basis and it is great racing, plenty of moves etc etc. Melton is boring to watch as well, I don't know what can be done to change it but something has to be done.

aussiebreno
    And then you watch Meadowlands on a Sunday morning and you see more moves in one race than you did the whole meeting at Menangle.
    Gloucester Park is GREAT to watch.

Real Name
    Steve Carter
    Occupation
    Astral Projectionist
    Horses
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffkel View Post
    That is my biggest gripe with big tracks, boring racing, even the big races up there are boring to watch. Whereas you watch Gloucester Park on a weekly basis and it is great racing, plenty of moves etc etc. Melton is boring to watch as well, I don't know what can be done to change it but something has to be done.
    Absolutely spot on!!! I wonder what the crowd figures are for Gloucester Park?......their racing is much more exciting........if you are going to promote your product!

+ Reply to Thread