Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Claiming Races

Senior Member 2YO Harold Parker is an unknown quantity at this point
    Real Name
    Robert Parker

Claiming Races

I can remember in the early 90's when I first started going to Harold Park that there was a token effort to get claiming races going at Harold Park. It fizzled out pretty quickly.

Almost 20 years later, I can't believe there still isn't something on the go.

I reckon the first State that gets "it" will flourish and by getting "it" I mean having a condition book that caters for many horses not just a few. Could you imagine the number of horses on or near their mark in other states that would find their way into them and in a nearby barn providing further opportunities (employment) for the locals.

Straight Claimers per $$$, conditioned claimers for a variety of classes etc.
    Not so much in the harness but in the gallops in the States, they have Starter Allowances for horses who've raced for a claiming amount or under in the last 6 - 12 months.

I know each State has a little something at present but no one that I can see has had a serious dig, gone all in so to speak.

Do you think it's because they try to keep the average meeting to 8 races ? Why can't that average be increased to 10 or 11 with a compliment of claiming races. I went in on quite a few horses when I was in the States, had a fun time owning the odd Claimer or three with a few mates.

Why not ?

Senior Member 2YO Harold Parker is an unknown quantity at this point
    Real Name
    Robert Parker
    If we had even a sniff of my old stomping grounds condition book at Yonkers, myself and 20+ others would be fronting the racing secretary at Menangle on Saturday night with our 25K for Deadsetlucky.

Junior Member Weanling ojc will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Greg Russell

I have to agree that most states have only paid lip serviceto Claiming races in this country. Having spent most of the last few years inCanada, I became very accustomed to the variety of Claiming opportunities inOntario harness racing. Horses in the Claiming categories seem to race moreoften and are up and down the Claiming classes until they find a competitivelevel. I have always wondered why thistype of racing has not taken off here? The reasons I believe that Claimingraces have struggled are listed below. I am interested in the thoughts of the Forummembers.

Some trainers/owners have no idea of the realistic value oftheir horse.

Horses struggling at a certain track can very easily ship toa track where there is lesser competition.

Some trainers/owners do not want to have anothertrainer/owner claim their horse and seem to show them up if the horse starts towin.

Trainers like regular payments from their owners and do notwant an empty stable after losing a horse to a claim.

Senior Member 4YO p plater will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    bailey martin
    I believe the main problem with Claimers taking off in Aust is probably 2 fold

1) the perception that they are all broken down or bleeders.
    2) Trust in as far as "wouldn't touch one from that stable" they must use something, they improve them and then get rid of them.

Sad but true

Junior Member Foal bookiesteve will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    steve walters
    Occupation
    retired
    Horses
    wobbly archer prince calaf aussie cull

Claimers great for new owners

I love the claimers and believe that more should be programmed with more levels statring with cheap claimers from 1k to 3k then 3k to 6k with levels increasing up to the top class class claimers say 40k to 50k
    The problem I see at the moment that the spread is too great especially 10k to 50k Melton giving the cheaper horses no chance
    The cheap claiming races(Redcliffe and Globe Derby always have full fields) give new owners the chance to buy a horse and race that horse the next week.In 2012 everyone wants everything quickly so harness racing administrators should be using claimers as a tool to increasing the ever decreasing pool of owners and supporters of harness racing!
    Remember claimers only operate on harness use this as a positive not a negative,claimers are not a dumping ground for broken down crooks!
    Claimers are important to the longevity of a horses racing career!

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Greg Hando will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Greg Hando
    Ojc your point's 1 and 3 hit the nail on the head i think.
    Have whoever you want on but don't ever have yourself on

+ Reply to Thread