Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Thoughts with Murray Sullivan and Cold Mountain Stud

Member Filly peacheymagic will become famous soon enough peacheymagic's Avatar
    Real Name
    Unknown
    This article goes into more depth of the events at Cold Mountain Stud and the fact that many standardbreds have perished including Genuwine and all 15 of Clive Palmer's american bred yearlings, tragic for the industry but fortunately the harness racing fraternity has not lost any of these people. http://www.harnesslink.com/www/Article.cgi?ID=86555

Administrator 3YO admin will become famous soon enough admin's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jules Boven
    Occupation
    Marketing Manager
    Horses
    Charge Forward
    I've just approved this comment (reposted below) on the story that peachymagic linked to. An eye opener into what happened and how difficult the situation was at the Cold Mountain property.

--

Karen B at 06:32 PM 24-Jan-2011 NZT

To make a decision of what was done was right or wrong, you have to FIRST understand the situation - I wasn't there but maybe can help others see a little better....

The Cold Mtn property at Lowood is on a large flat area of land, amongst 1000's of acres of flat farming land all set much higher than the Lockyer creek (yes thats the one that flattened Grantham!). There is a small seasonal creek that divides the property, set 300m back from the stables and houses, which are on the slightly higher corner of the property All roads around the property are lower - ie you have to drive down to leave - thus impossible to leave via truck etc. The property was surrounded with 6ft high deer (mesh) fencing. The two barns each hold 18 horses, All boxes have 2m high walls on sides and front. So each horse is fully contained as such.

The water in the house was around 1.2m deep, the house is about 80cm off the ground - so at it's peak the water would have been about 2m deep. It rose from inches to metres in hours.

The 3 boys watched neighbours horses and cattle being swept away in the strong current, pulled beneth the water by the currant, being caught in fencing (remember 6ft high mesh fence) and held to their death. They fought off 6ft brown snakes whom wanted to share their roof of safety
    Murray lost all of his possessions in the house & his car - a minor thing compared to what some have lost but still, that was his "life"

Leaving the horses in their boxes is what saved most.

Sadly, the botton barn is about 60cm lower than the other, this is the barn that the babies were in. Given the depth they probably would have hit the roof which only would have panicked the dear little guys even more and made them tire quicker. The race horses being fitter, and also taller, helped them survive, as the water receeded they most likely were able to find their hind feet could reach the bottom and they probably took up a rearing like position, saving some energy.

The only thing that could have prevented this was to swim them across the creek to the other side of the property which is higher but not set up to cater for 32 horses (including many stallions/colts) the day before, however I don't know if was an option. Also given the area, you wouldn't expect water 2m deep covering 1000's of acres for hours on end.

I was horrified to read updates of what was happening, i cried for 2 days any time of thought of. Having worked with the horses, they are like family, each one having their own personality.

As to Clive's comment, it's all how you read it. Clive does love his horses, he definatley does it for love, he spends far more on them than he wins. I can see how it could be taken that it sounds like he doesn't care and "I'll just buy a new one" sort of go but he does say that human welfare comes first, which it does. Clive has to deal with the loss of his horses and not somebody's Son / Brother / Lover etc...

K
    Please read the rules before posting.

Harnesslink Marketing Manager

+ Reply to Thread