Member Gelding NormanS will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Norman Schwarz
    Occupation
    Franchise Owner
    Horses
    Love This Dragon, Aussie Melody, Love Th

"American Style" speed sulkies

I read here http://www.harness.org.au/news-artic...?news_id=17844 that another Sulky , this one "The Razor Sulky" has been approved. There are now quite a few different types of US style sulkies going round the tracks.
    Lets face it, every horse in the ID final was in one of these style of sulkies. I still have my regal offset. How does this compare? Does anyone have any opinions or experience with any of them? How they differ in racing performance. Which would be better for Heavier / lighter drivers. Would you use the same at Menangle and Newcastle. How about around a Half Mile track like Penrith or Bathurst?

Advantage Sulky - has a facebook page and website under construction
    Spyder Sulky - Luke M's design
    The Razor
    The Tsunami Sulky / Tsunami Stinger
    Aussie Eclipse
    Challenger Force
    Tom Harmers Evolution Sulky

If there are more, be kind and list them and your experience with them. And thanks to everyone who chooses to post.

I would like to ask the same question about the wheels. There are that many of them out there now. How they effect rolling efficiency etc. Are the carbon fibre spokes better that the aluminium billets cut spokes etc

To the mods, if i've posted this in the wrong area appologies and i'll understnd if it gets moved to another location
    Last edited by NormanS; 03-05-2012 at 11:49 PM.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Greg Hando will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Greg Hando
    No answer's Norman i to was interested in comparison's between the new sulky's and tyres.
    Have whoever you want on but don't ever have yourself on

Senior Member Stallion Triple V will become famous soon enough Triple V's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist
    My experience with various race bikes is that they ALL work exceptionally well when something smart is hitched between the shafts.

Member Gelding NormanS will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Norman Schwarz
    Occupation
    Franchise Owner
    Horses
    Love This Dragon, Aussie Melody, Love Th
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple V View Post
    My experience with various race bikes is that they ALL work exceptionally well when something smart is hitched between the shafts.
    Thats a cool answer, and i am working on that part as well (so far without great deal of success).

But The question is with so many variations of the same thing out there how do you find out which is going to give you the best advantage (if even the slow ones can be improved a touch). And if im racing mostly away from Menangle, is there any advantage?

I like my offset. Its a very comfortable seat. And as im about 20kg heavier than my regular driver knowing how weight affects the drive is important as well (imo)

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by NormanS View Post
    Thats a cool answer, and i am working on that part as well (so far without great deal of success).

But The question is with so many variations of the same thing out there how do you find out which is going to give you the best advantage (if even the slow ones can be improved a touch). And if im racing mostly away from Menangle, is there any advantage?

I like my offset. Its a very comfortable seat. And as im about 20kg heavier than my regular driver knowing how weight affects the drive is important as well (imo)
    G'day Norm,
    my personal opinion ( which is NOT based on science) is that each and every horse has it's own optimum "balance" requirements in the sulky area and these can change from racing surface to other track characteristics such as the radius of turns, shape of turns, length of straights, the person sitting in the bike, etc.

as stated, not science, but I have seen many horses display an ability to ignore science.
    Cheers,
    Dan

Senior Member Stallion Triple V will become famous soon enough Triple V's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist
    I'd agree with that. Horses for courses, bikes for tracks.
    Shoeing is the same.
    So many different track surfaces here in Oz...same set of shoes every time.

Senior Member 3YO strong persuader has a spectacular aura about strong persuader's Avatar
    Real Name
    Phil Bourke
    Perhaps others had noticed the following item, http://www.austrotforum.com/weblog/a...tion_to_a.html

It references Terror To Loves efforts in a sulky design of 70+ years still made the same way it was all those years ago.

As Jaimie said, the best way to get a fast sulky is to put a fast horse between the shafts!
    Warning: Horses are expensive, addictive, and may impair the ability to use common sense.

Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist
    I once had the great pleasure of jogging Our Sir Vancelot in an work cart made from heavy steel pipe (a moment of madness on the part of BPH) and even when hitched like that you could still tell the horse had some really serious grunt. As I recall he was only a 3yo at the time. That was the first time that I got any sort of a handle on what a really top shelf horse felt like through the lines. I'll never forget it.

Real Name
    Greg Hando
    Why can't something be done on Trots tv interview some participant's,manufacturer's etc so people might have a better idea as to which work's best for particular type's of surface's, track size , horse's etc .
    This would help all participant's and punter's alike.

Real Name
    Greg Hando
    Quote Originally Posted by strong persuader View Post
    Perhaps others had noticed the following item, http://www.austrotforum.com/weblog/a...tion_to_a.html

It references Terror To Loves efforts in a sulky design of 70+ years still made the same way it was all those years ago.

As Jaimie said, the best way to get a fast sulky is to put a fast horse between the shafts!
    Can you still race in an all wood sulky in NZ ?

+ Reply to Thread