Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pearlie Chimes

Senior Member 3YO strong persuader has a spectacular aura about strong persuader's Avatar
    Real Name
    Phil Bourke

Pearlie Chimes

Hoping that someone with access to NZ Stud Books will help me out here.

Pearlie Chimes, 1916 foal by Derby Chimes from Pearlie, Australian bred but exported to NZ.

Classic Families lists a 1931 filly, Rongomai by Nelson Derby and her 1944 foal, Game Globe by Huon Globe.

I would like to know what other foals she may have had and their breeding efforts if possible just to complete a maternal family that has always held some interest for me.

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can assist.
    Warning: Horses are expensive, addictive, and may impair the ability to use common sense.

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year teecee has a spectacular aura about teecee's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tony Cahill
    wayne@hrnz.co.nz

Try this guy...Wayne Reid...
    Keeper of the stud book and registrar at Harness racing NZ.

Senior Member 3YO strong persuader has a spectacular aura about strong persuader's Avatar
    Real Name
    Phil Bourke
    Thanks for that Wayne tells me that the mare was first registered in NZ on 1 Aug 1922 and had 44 starts through to 1926 for 5 wins. But he doesn't have any breeding records for Pearlie Chimes. I know that she had a 1931 foal, Rongomai by Nelson Derby, bred by G.J. Barton, Dunedin, NZ. Rongomai was exported back to Aus prior to being bred here in 1942. So I am back to asking if someone is willing to look up the NZ Stud Books to see if there is any information available on Pearlie Chimes.
    Quote Originally Posted by teecee View Post
    wayne@hrnz.co.nz

Try this guy...Wayne Reid...
    Keeper of the stud book and registrar at Harness racing NZ.
    Last edited by strong persuader; 03-09-2012 at 04:02 PM. Reason: added more
    Warning: Horses are expensive, addictive, and may impair the ability to use common sense.

Junior Member Weanling Beecow will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Brian Cowley
    Occupation
    Writing.
    Hi Phil,
    According Ian Daff's Black Book of Harness Racing (1988), Pearlie Chimes produced Rongomai (spelt in this publication as Rongamai) but there is no reference to other progeny. Rongomai produced Game Globe (by Huon Globe) in 1944. It is interesting to notice the strong influence in Rongomai's pedigree of Norice, a great little mare that was imported from America at the turn of the 20th century and began her racing career as a 6-year-old in the 1903-04 season. I'm breeding back to Norice's bloodlines by putting Gotta Go Cullect to one of my broodmares. He has Norice blood through his dam Elect To Live as does my broodmare on her maternal side.

Junior Member Weanling Beecow will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Brian Cowley
    Occupation
    Writing.
    Elaboration re Rongomai and Norice: Rongomai by Nelson Derby (by Nelson Bingen out of Norice) out of Pearlie Chimes by Derby Chimes (by Abbey Bells out of Norice). Norice ran second to Monte Carlo in the first New Zealand Cup (1904).

Real Name
    Phil Bourke
    Quote Originally Posted by Beecow View Post
    Elaboration re Rongomai and Norice: Rongomai by Nelson Derby (by Nelson Bingen out of Norice) out of Pearlie Chimes by Derby Chimes (by Abbey Bells out of Norice). Norice ran second to Monte Carlo in the first New Zealand Cup (1904).
    Thanks Brian.

The Norice connection also grabbed my attention, as that family exploded once her granddaughters were bred back to her son!

Rongomai was exported back to Aus and appears in Daff's book and Classic Families by virtue of her son Game Globe's wins in the '49 WA Christmas Hcp and '51 WA Stratton Cup. Both of those sources are focused on classic winners.

Rongomai had 7 other foals, 4 winners in total. Three of these were mares that were bred on with, but my research indicates that the family finished around the late '80s. Game Globe himself is credited with 16 foals, 7 winners but even his daughters failed to breed on beyond a generation or two, even though he is credited as broodmare sire of 51 foals.

Seeing as the info I have at this time indicates that Pearlie Chimes raced until 1926 and Rongomai was a 1931 foal, I suspect that she would have had other foals, but obviously none of these possible branches have produced a classic winner.

My grandfather had the mare Dual Pearl, she was the dam of Dual Brigade and granddam of Greentree Dancer and that branch survives through one female line today. About 15 years ago, we were lucky enough to purchase a female descendant of Dual Pearl's full sister, and I think only one mare survives today from that line.

+ Reply to Thread